AC2 is my new FC2

Started by PZ, March 25, 2010, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Far Cry 2 continues to be my all time favorite game, but I'm becoming almost as fond of AC2.  The graphics are beautiful, lighting perfect, and the music is perfect for an old gamer like me (I don't care much for the head-banging music that are in many other fast-paced games).

I'm currently playing both the PS3 and PC versions, and each has it's merits:

• PS3 - for me, easier to fight and do the acrobatics because of the button placements, but the running is relatively clumsy, and the response time to my controller movements very slow when compared to the PC version.
  • PC - while the running is very precise and much better than the PS3 version, I run into spots where the proper movement is almost impossible to achieve.  Art mentioned this one that I've now also encountered - one of the assassin's tomb quests where you need to run up the wall, then turn and jump.  This is so impossible with the mouse that I needed to use the PS3 controller to get past that spot.
I appreciate the fact that the PS3 controller does everything in a single unit (I need to use both the mouse and a controller on the PC to get the most out of the experience).  I really like the fact that in the PC version I can actually catch the fast runners, because that changes the fun in the game!  :)

In summary, each platform has it's perks and I still enjoy both.  :-X

spaceboy

That's awesome to find another favorite to rank up so close to FC2.  I too thoroughly enjoyed AC2 as well, but since I've been spoiling myself with lots of new games I haven't headed back to Italy in awhile. 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

I know what you mean - I'm still dabbling in FO3 even though technically it is an old-style game - and Uncharted 2 occupied quite a bit of my time (I tried to get online with my son, but alas, my Internet connection won't allow it).

I guess that the take home lesson is that there is often that special "something" in a game that you can't quite quantify, that something that makes you want to return time and time again.  That's why there are so many options out there in game-land - something for everyone

GPFontaine

I am a cheap ba$t@rd.

I bought Far Cry 2 for $9.99 on Black Friday.

It is a safe bet that I will wait until Assassins Creed 2 is down to $15-25 bucks before I pick it up.  I am actually waiting for the first game to drop down to the $10 range.

PZ

Quote from: GPFontaine on March 25, 2010, 11:37:37 AM
It is a safe bet that I will wait until Assassins Creed 2 is down to $15-25 bucks before I pick it up.  I am actually waiting for the first game to drop down to the $10 range.
Shouldn't be too long - I recently purchased AC1 for $19  ;D

Art Blade

Good to know PZ, that you're now our official AC2 expert  ;D

Although I thoroughly enjoyed AC2, despite of the wall-jump crap, I have not yet returned for a second playthrough. I find myself returning to STALKER Call of Pripyat frequently, and now I have some fun modding it a little to my taste. But neither CoP nor AC2 will be close to the fun I still have with FC2. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on March 25, 2010, 12:13:40 PM
Good to know PZ, that you're now our official AC2 expert  ;D

lol, I'd hardly say that, but I am becoming accustomed to navigating the cities without the map sometimes, just like in FC2.

Quote from: Art Blade on March 25, 2010, 12:13:40 PM
Although I thoroughly enjoyed AC2, despite of the wall-jump crap, I have not yet returned for a second playthrough. I find myself returning to STALKER Call of Pripyat frequently, and now I have some fun modding it a little to my taste. But neither CoP nor AC2 will be close to the fun I still have with FC2.

That's the beauty of having lots of choices.  Because you and others have liked the new Stalker so much I actually looked for it at GameStop the other day, but they did not have it.  One of these days though, I'm sure that I'll invest in it with the hopes that the game will have a modding base similar to what we see with FO3  :-X

fragger

Quote from: PZ on March 25, 2010, 11:24:42 AM
I guess that the take home lesson is that there is often that special "something" in a game that you can't quite quantify, that something that makes you want to return time and time again.  That's why there are so many options out there in game-land - something for everyone

I couldn't agree more, PZ :) I've just started getting into Stalker CoP, very early days but I think I'm going to like it a lot :-X I also want to get AC2, I'll probably pick it up next week and see if my dodgy internet connection will let me play (it dropped out on me while I was typing this >:(). Said connection is much more stable later at night around here, so AC2 may have to be my "night-owl" game ;D

But FC2 is still my all-time #1!

Art Blade

yay! cool you got CoP, mate  :) :-X And yes, I hope your connection will allow you to play AC2 without any nasty disturbances.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Looking forward to your impressions on AC2, fragger  :-X

PZ

Well, as much as I love the new JC2, I am still playing AC2 on the PC and having a blast.  I've normally been a one-game-at-a-time kind of guy, but It is lots of fun to alternate between the two favorites.  When I return to AC2, I'm still struck by the beauty of the buildings - you can see the varied texture of the stone blocks.  The lighting is excellent, and the way that Ezio fights is lots of fun too.  While you can be slow, methodical, and deliberate in many of the actions in AC2, you need to be quick on your feet in JC2!

Tags:
🡱 🡳