Gaming Rig specs

Started by RedRaven, March 19, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Art I sometimes get funny looking images while in FC3, next time it happens I'll take a video clip and post it

Art Blade

nexor, thanks for the reply. That sounds.. weird. Like a heat problem, perhaps. If it doesn't overheat, it'd be an issue I'd consider a hardware failure. There shouldn't be any "funny" looking images produced by a device like that.

fragger, by the looks of it I daresay you're going to go through even more hassles than I have :-D MS is pushing hard at getting w8 out and on every bloody system they can get their virtual extended greedy hands on.

@ all

You may have noticed my absence of a sudden. It so happened that, after quite enjoying my new rig and myself, the next day it all came to a proper stop. My network was gone. Turned out wasn't my network gone ('cause my old PC did connect all leisurely) and I was really getting upset because I couldn't for the life of me get it sorted out. So yesterday I resorted to reading a good book by an author goes by the name of Joe Abercrombie and is his latest book (I got 'em all). Today I had my wits back together and stabbed at my new PC a bit until I decided to give it a complete overhaul and set my mind to yet another w7 installation. Funny thing is I chose "update" so I updated windows 7 to windows 7 which was about as logical as killing a man makes him stay dead. But it worked. The real problem was Microsoft .NET framework 4 was broken and needed fixing. I could have killed for less but JEEZ, how about a proper error message BEFORE I was slapping a whole new OS on the rig? Obviously it helped, I'm typing here. :)

Phew.

I tried various things to get the remaining hardware components unknown to w7 to w@&k and had downloaded tons of drivers and all from ASUS thanks to Able's links. I still have one USB controller missing out despite all the efforts.

I happened to find ASUS's own link to the rig I got: http://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_CG8480/

edit: can't be, 8480 has a 3770K processor. But it's next to impossible to find the correct one. ASUS TYTAN CG8480-DE010S is likely what it is. Motherboard is a P8Z77-V PRO

Try to see what hardware is in it. For example which motherboard. You won't find it. I know which because the shop I bought the rig had some specs on the net that gave an almost proper description and I found it after some digging (the one I posted a couple of posts up). Why do I keep believing things are easy when they never are? Such as getting a goddamned hardware list with a matching driver download option on the manufacturer's own damn support site?  :D

At least I'm not exactly someone who gives up easily. :-()

OK guys.

Now I do think I'm back  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Glad you got it sorted mate  :-X

Abletile

MS net framework is one of the most troublesome bits in windows (apart from driver issues), it takes ages to install/update  :D

I have found 2 usb controller drivers on this page Art http://www.asus.com/Desktops/ROG_CG8480/#support_Download_30
, I don't know if you already have them both?

Whenever an issue occurs it is always prudent to open a command promt (with admin rights) and run the "sfc /scannow" command (usually takes less than 10 mins). Then check for updates.
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Art Blade

Thanks, nexor :) Tell me about it  :-D

Thanks, Able  :) I had found them, too, and I tried them both. Still, the one that's missing is very likely to be one responsible for USB3.0 for which I don't have any devices anyway so it doesn't matter yet.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 17, 2013, 12:14:47 PM
OK guys.

Now I do think I'm back  :)

Glad to hear it, old fossil!  ^-^

Abletile

Quote from: Art Blade on July 18, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
so it doesn't matter yet.

I'm sure you will need it! USB3 is soo much faster! Are your USB3 sockets active? (they are backwards compatible with usb2 devices).
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Art Blade

PZ:  :-()

Able, just now I'm guessing they won't be but I'll try it anyway, hold on..

No. The rig realised some USB device got stuck in one of those jacks and then miserably failed to install the software needed for my USB stick. More than likely because windows can't find the driver for the controller handling it. Which is what I said in my last post. And no, I won't be needing them unless I want to which I don't. I'll be waiting for a driver to pop up eventually as it obviously isn't exactly some type of wide-spread hardware yet. Everything I really need is working properly, though, which is more important to me :)

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on July 17, 2013, 12:14:47 PM
fragger, by the looks of it I daresay you're going to go through even more hassles than I have :-D MS is pushing hard at getting w8 out and on every bloody system they can get their virtual extended greedy hands on.

Yeah I know (sighs), which is why I think I'll stick with this rig until it clags out, or I do :-()

Glad you're getting things sorted out though. I salute your doggedness :)

mandru

On the subject of Win8 I've heard that there was so much clamor over the missing Start Button in the bottom of the screen task bar that sometime this summer there will be a Win8 system update put it back into the OS options for those of us who lean on it so heavily.  When that becomes available it will probably be the only time I ever allow my 20in Win8 tablet to access the update server or even the internet for that matter.

I'm really trying to avoid the inevitable loss of start up speed due to system updates.  I don't want chronic Creeping Functionality that all Windows driven products are susceptible to infecting yet another system.  ::)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

cheers, fragger  :-()

mandru, it's not the updates that cause a slow-down.

Usually that is caused by a messed-up registry which is caused by installing and uninstalling truckloads of demos, shareware, and random other programs. Most of the time you won't get a really clean uninstall. The programs and folders may be gone but their mucky legacy stays in the registry. Unfortunately windows will w@&k the registry and happen upon old entries and go, "ok, there's an application registered, let's find it. Hmm, can't find it.. let's make sure and try again.. hmm, still nothing.. ok, next entry." And so on. THAT slows down your system. In other words, either take every means possible to get a clean registry or, much simpler, think BEFORE you install anything. If you install something, just keep it. Like that, my systems have been about as quick as they were after a fresh OS installation, even after more than four years, without ever having to reinstall or clean up.  :)

mandru

Other than the four games I've loaded and Irfanview all still on the system and the Windows updates I've not let anything else near my gaming system.  There have been no trial ware, shareware, demos or random other programs loaded and then uninstalled.

If there's something being uninstalled leaving holes in the registry it's happening during either the Windows or the occasional Adobe updates.  :knockout
- mandru

Art Blade

then your system shouldn't be slower than before  ????

PZ

Art is correct; the registry is the source of many of Windows woes.  Because few ever look into the registry, MS evidently does not feel the need to make it clean and tidy - after if you can't see it, it can't hurt you, correct?

I've been using CCleaner for a few years and it manages to somewhat keep your PC clean of foolishness, but there is absolutely no substitute for a fresh OS install to improve performance.

fragger

I've noticed that every time Windows 7 does an update, I can't play my Steam games offline (Civ V, Tomb Raider) until I reconnect with Steam. If I try to run those games offline after a Windows update I get some message about my Steam account user data apparently not existing on my PC and that I have to login to "check the status of the Steam server", or some such. So I login to Steam, and once I've launched the game while connected to Steam I can quit the game, logout from Steam then relaunch the game offline and all will be well - until the next Windows update. Then I have to do the above all over again.

Whatever it is that these updates do (and what exactly do they all do?), they apparently change something that interferes with my onboard Steam user data. I don't know if it involves the registry in some way or if it's got something to do with IE, which I never use anyway, but something pertaining to Steam evidently gets changed somewhere.

Binnatics

Mandru nice Avatar!!!! What the f*** made you identify with Rembrandt? :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I was wondering that, too. That drawing looks like one of Wilhelm Busch's illustrations  :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 24, 2013, 01:44:14 PM
I was wondering that, too. That drawing looks like one of Wilhelm Busch's illustrations  :)

I love Wilhelm Busch!  I used to have several volumes of his works, and Max und Moritz were among my favorites.

Art Blade

Max und Moritz ^-^ :-X

mandru

From the first time (about 35 years ago) I encountered this picture I've loved this self portrait drawing of Rembrandt.  The art book that I found this w@&k in gave it the title "Mouth open eyes popping" but whatever that translates from in his native language I was never able to locate it again until recently when Google had a day honoring Rembrandt's birthday.

I went to Google Images and within the first few view frames was reunited with this old friend.  :)

A playful young Rembrandt, not afraid of presenting himself in an unfavorable light and wearing a facial expression that I can easily identify with and have worn myself.  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

I like your last sentence, mandru. Made me smile  :)

Binnatics

I love Rembrandt as well. I remember the first (and only) time I visited the Dutch National Museum in Amsterdam where they show "De Nachtwacht", his most famous painting. Its as big as a wall.

We want to visit the museum again soon; they renovated it and now it's my daughter's time to admire these great pictures ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

maybe it could come to you Binn.  ;)

Amsterdam - Rembrandt Flashmob - The Night Watch - HD

I saw this a few months ago and your post jogged it loose in my memory.  :)
- mandru

Art Blade

cool advertisement! :-X

Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳