Gaming Rig specs

Started by RedRaven, March 19, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abletile

Nice rig Nexor, that mother should see you alright for a while  :-D
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

nexor

Thanks guys, I played FC2 for awile. maxed all the graphics setting and using DX10, with all the memory installed this thing is blistering fast, and only by noticing that the pilot light on the front panel is on shows that the machine is running, that's how quiet it is   

Abletile

That's the beauty of water cooling :)

PZ

Man, I'm envious nex!  My PC is screaming like a vacuum cleaner right now, and it only gets worse when the gaming starts.  :laugh:

nexor

Man, this guy from Origin SA is good, fixed my problem in 20 seconds flat   8)
But now Origin is updating the games
So far 5 hours just on MOH Warfighter, game update 888MB   :D
Then comes BattleField 3 updates     :'(

fragger

Binnatics

Great Rig Nex!!  :-X

I love MSI too!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

Thanks Binn, comparing this new rig to the old one is like driving a Rolls Royce compared to an old VW Beetle

Art Blade

My turn now  :-D

I just bought an ASUS gaming PC, it's still sitting in its cardboard box. Here the most interesting specs:

[smg id=6079 type=full align=left caption="ASUS gaming rig"]

CPU: i5 @ 4.1 GHz (overclockable, 4.1 is not OC) // was the ad. real it's  i5-3570k @ 3.4GHz /3.9GHz OC

GPU: GTX660 3GB ??? :-() (always wanted a gtx660, I saw them with 1.5 and 2 GB but this is the first one with three!  ^-^ )
RAM: 2x8=16 GB
HD: 1TB
SSD: 128GB
win8 64bit

Total: € 1.200,-

Well, I have two things to do.

First, I don't want that disgusting windows8. I can't use my w7 ultimate because it's 32bit which cannot use more than 3GB RAM, so I need to find a system builder w7 ultimate 64bit in order to be able to access all 16GB. Let's hope I can still get one.

Second, I don't want to lose my old 1TB HD full with all kinds of stuff, mainly games and media files. Then again, usually games require windows to "remember" having installed them, else you don't get the registry keys and all that. So I think I'll have to install those games that I wish to keep anew. Many of them are steam-based which should cause me tons of downloads.. argh. I am thinking about opening that new rig, opening my old rig, and do a transplantation as in add my old HD to the new rig, given I can get that to w@&k.

However, I had a feeling the time was right to get a new rig. So during my lunch break last Friday I happened to see an offer at my local store but went like, "nah, you're crazy, you don't really need a new rig," and went home. There it kept nagging me from the back of my head, so I checked for offers of that store on the net. I did find a better one than what I had seen but it required ordering and that would have taken two weeks until I could get it. But another general search on the net came up with that rig being offered in a branch of the same group and they operate a local store in my city, too. And it was available there, the offer on the net said. Today I decided to do it and went to get it. Only they didn't have it any more. What they did have, however, was generally speaking a better offer, it is what you see above.

I told the sales guy after the deal about my intuition to get a new rig now and he said the timing was perfect because in the summertime (here, now) especially around June/July, the prices were lowest (no new game releases during summer) and would go up from around August on when we'd host the GamesCon in Cologne and of course towards the end of the year. Heh.  :-D

Now I got a monster waiting but I'm cool  ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Looks like a fantastic rig; I'm envious!  ^-^

Binnatics

Great Rig Art!!! You're definitely going to smoke a hole in your bedroom wall there >:D 8)

Seriously, that graphics card must be a super advantage on what you have now, and the CPU running on 4.1Ghz in impressing too!! Hope you are still able to séé the detail it will offer, heheh  :)

Enjoy mate!! See you at the show :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Very nice rig Art.  :-X

I was hoping to get to be the first to say that your 4.1 GHz CPU was "Sssmokin'!" but when I flipped to the next page to read the rest of the comments there was Binn's post stomping all over my line.  :'(

Pulling the old 1 Tb drive over for archival purposes sounds like a good idea.  That choice also gives the added benefit (depending how full the old drive is) of serving as a partitioned separate place for file back up and additional storage.  Just make sure your power supply has the wiggle room to carry the extra demand or all that wonderful speed you've paid for can suffer.  :)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

Looks good Art, I'm not too happy with my Nvidia 650GTX-Ti gpu, at some stage I will have to look at something better......  :-(

Art Blade

Thanks guys  :)

By the way, today I went to the only store I could think of that might still have a 64bit system builder version of w7 ultimate -- the two big shops I checked didn't any more. MS is pushing w8 into the marked with full force. So I went to Atelco where I bought my 32bit version long ago. They didn't have it in stock so the guy checked his computer to see if he could still order one. Indeed, there was exactly just ONE version still there but, oh dear.. it was an English version, he said with a sorry face.

I was beaming. Not only was he able to order the last possible copy in this town but to my utter joy and pleasure, it was even in English!! One of the reasons why I wanted an ultimate version was the fact that it was the only version that legally allowed to install language packs. Right now, on my old rig, I am running a German w7 ultimate with English language pack and tweaked several settings to actually get every system message in English (installing the pack did turn most of the available texts into English but for example the boot screen still read, "Windows wird geladen" as well as the messages you get to see when doing windows updates that require a system restart, "Einstellungen werden konfiguriert, bitte schalten Sie den Computer nicht aus" or some such. Took me quite some searching to find the buggers and switch them to English, too. Also, I do have two folders with the same meaning, one "Dokumente und Einstellungen" as well as the corresponding "Documents and Settings" and more of that humbug.

Yesterday night I had the idea to dare ask for an English version in case I could get someone to order it and today the guy already had exactly that as the only option  :laugh: Ordered, should arrive within two or three days and they'll call me or send me a text message. Nice. The price is 178.-€ while a "normal" (non-system builder) costs about double. Glad I already knew about that, now you know, too -- always ask for a system builder version of your windows and save about 50% :)

PZ, when we all started out with our rigs some four years ago, you had the upper hand with your home-built system, now it was time for me to catch up and get something nice, too  ^-^

Binnatics, heh heh heh, I'll take extra care to keep my environment as it is, no need for burn holes  :-D

mandru, I still regard your "Ssssmokin' " a very nice comment and it wasn't diminished by Binnatics's comment. :)

Nexor, originally I wanted a GTX660Ti but "only" got a 660 without that Ti but instead, I got three GB vid memory. I hope it will be a good card.

So, why are you not too happy with your vid card?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I'm a bit late here with the congrats, so - congrats, Art! :) :-X You should be able to max out everything on that baby, ought to keep you going strong for a while 8)

Art Blade

ta mate :) I reckon you'll be one of the next to come up with a new rig  ;)

mandru

The real upgrade I keep hoping fragger will get is an internet connection that exceeds the bandwidth of a couple boy scouts learning semaphore or at the very least smoke signals.  A Bugatti Veyron revving its engine in the show room would have been a real marvel had it popped up in 1910 but considering the conditions of roadways in those days where would you have driven the bloody thing?

The satellite TV dish company I use has added an internet service through an up link that promises 4G connection and download times and once I figure out how 4G compares to the 23 Mbps download/5Mbps upload my connection averages I may add the service.

I checked to see if there was any chance that it was available in Australia but all of Dish's geosynchronous satellites are over the U.S.  :(
- mandru

Abletile

Quote from: mandru on July 10, 2013, 08:20:05 AM

I checked to see if there was any chance that it was available in Australia but all of Dish's geosynchronous satellites are over the U.S.  :(

The NSA needs them all  :laugh:

mandru

Sorry Abletile.  :(

There isn't a funny come back for that.
- mandru

Abletile

I just realized it's not funny either  :(

Art Blade

Today I received a text message from my local vendor telling me that my OS had arrived. Minutes ago I purchased it and now I'm ready to kick w8 out and do a fresh install with my "new" w7 ultimate 64bit  >:D

This is going to be a milestone in my PC career. First time I'll be using 64bit and first time I'll see more than 3GB RAM in action, 16GB! Bloody six times more memory than before. And my vid card, more than three times the amount of memory than before. And slightly more than 50% speed than before (so far 2.67GHz and going to get 4.1GHz)

By the way, that rig also came with a Blue Ray reader.

Well.. Tomorrow is Friday, time to get the beast up and running, then  ^-^

PZ

Can't wait to read of your experiences with the new rig!  :-X

mandru

Rip her up brother! Rip her up!  :-X
- mandru

Abletile

Enjoy your new venture into high end pc's Art. You should notice a huge improvement  :-X :)

Art Blade

cheers, guys :) Off to w@&k now and on my return I shall commence setting it up :-() Will let you know as soon as I'm online with it. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳