Defense Grid: The Awakening, Borderlands, & Resurgence

Started by GPFontaine, March 04, 2010, 11:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPFontaine

I tend to be a frugal shopper.  When it comes to video games I am usually selective and patient.  Each week I watch Steam's sales and occasionally pick up a new game if it appears interesting enough.  That is how I wound up with Defense Grid: The Awakening.  I was itching for a high quality tower defense game and at $5, it was simply irresistible.

I completed Defense Grid: The Awakening several times and even finished all of the Steam Achievements.  I was very excited the other day when Hidden Path, the people who make the game, released some free bonus content called "Borderlands".  I only had time for a single level last night, but it was very enjoyable to play fresh content.

The upcoming release of the Resurgence expansion to Defense grid look like it will be on my shopping list.  As a downloadable content update, I hope that the developers and Steam price it reasonably.  If so, I'll be a very happy gamer.

Art Blade

Quote from: GPFontaine on March 04, 2010, 11:19:31 AM
Defense Grid: The Awakening.  I was itching for a high quality tower defense game

I've never heard of either that game or the genre. What is a tower defense game?  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

GPFontaine

Quote from: Art Blade on March 04, 2010, 11:28:32 AM
Quote from: GPFontaine on March 04, 2010, 11:19:31 AM
Defense Grid: The Awakening.  I was itching for a high quality tower defense game

I've never heard of either that game or the genre. What is a tower defense game?  :)
Tower Defense Genre:
Quote from: WikipediaTower defense or TD is a subgenre of real-time strategy computer games.  The goal is to try to stop enemies from crossing the map by building towers which shoot at them as they pass. Enemies and towers usually have varied abilities and costs. When an enemy is defeated, the player earns money or points, which are used to buy or upgrade towers.

There are many free flash games in this genre.  Defense grid is really the first game to take the genre to a new level with modern 3D graphics.  This particular game has a demo available: Defense Grid: The Awakening Demo

Worthy of note, Plants Vs. Zombies is my second favorite game in the genre.  There is a free version (limited number of levels though) of it on PopCaps website.  While it is 2D flash graphics, the authors definitely have a good sense of humor and the game can be played for hours on end.

Art Blade

Thanks for the prompt answer :) I now remember having seen (and played) one of those free flash games at a friend's place. He liked it quite a bit which is why I wanted to check it out by myself. If I remember correctly, it can turn into something I'd consider not far away from hectic, can't it :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

GPFontaine

Quote from: Art Blade on March 04, 2010, 12:04:17 PMIf I remember correctly, it can turn into something I'd consider not far away from hectic, can't it :)
The first time you play a level in a Tower Defense game the end result is often very messy and if you are able to pull of a victory, it most likely would be a nail biter.

These types of games require forward thinking.  Often times good planning can overcome any obstacle.  Still, both Defense Grid and Plants Vs. Zombies have a few unbelievably busy levels.

Art Blade

Maybe because I have a job that requires forward thinking, in my spare time I tend to play games that require less of it.  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳