Wilderness Survival Guide

Started by retiredgord, February 01, 2010, 04:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

Wilderness Survival Guide

Moira Brown
With contributions by Me 1

Well in wandering about the Wasteland I fortunately had picked up some survival tips really quickly. So when in talking With Moira one time she expressed a desire to write a survival guide, I kinda got sucked into doing the research for her for the guide. It was to pay well in different ways, help and hopefully caps.
     Moira wants it done in different stages and the first is whether there is food  available out there. I know there is if you can find the right spot. She suggests the Super Duper Mart that is nearby for food and possible drugs of any sort, of the type to use and sell to anyone. After all the girl does have to make a living. I know there is food there cuz I happened to have visited the store earlier. I scored some food, my laser pistol and charges and some Raider equipment. I snuck in and had a slow change of ownership of the place in my favor.  I wasn't gonna tell her that but I went out and did a walk around the area and eventually came back and said there was no food or drugs there. I wasn't lying as I had already picked it all up.
     I didn't do the second part right away as again I wanted to build up my cap supply so I could get meds, weapons and ammo if I needed them. I ended up over by that crazy Duvoks's place. While in the area the Tepid sewers looked pretty fair for picking up stuff so I went in to scavenge. Well, the place was as busy  with mole rats as a 2 for 1 sale at the whore house. I did some killing and eating and eventually learned where the sewers went. I noted the places and came back out and just did more exploring. I went back to Moira's to cash in the goodies and then accepted the next part. Guess what reader. She wants me to check out this repellent she's devised  to see if some one could keep the mole rats at bay and keep them from attacking you. I needed to check it out with at least three critters. She also suggested Tepid Sewer as the place to go. Well hit me with a radroach leg. I was there so I knew there'd be little action.
      I wandered over on the other side of the river and eventually found someplace, I can't remember where, enough mole rats to satisfy the conditions. I returned and informed her the stuff stank, and not just literally but in reality had little effect. I told her so but she was happy any way and gave me goodies again. The next portion was something that almost made me quit.
     That crazy air-head wanted me to plant, unseen and without killing any critters, a special device to monitor the Mirelurk eggs clusters. She wanted to know how often they breed, what they eat, how long it takes the eggs to hatch and other mindless and trivial crap. This adventure will take me to the Anchorage Memorial. I had gone just in the door one time and almost became a meal and statistic. I was given and had found some Stealthboys so I planned on using them to get in, plant and get the H out as fast as possible. Off I went to the Memorial  with a feeling that this was not gonna be easy. I could get in but it was the No Harm To the Critters condition that was the big problem. They is hard to kill with you needing a lot of hits to the face, when it's showing, to kill them or a flamer.
     I went to the Memorial, shooting a few odd obstacles along the way. I kinda shrugged the shoulders turned on the Stealthboy and in I went. I move slow and easy trying to avoid bumping into or warning those damn huge crabs. It took a few tries but I eventually found the fastest and most direct route to the spot I needed , planted the device and boogied back out. I used 3 Stealthboys in doing so but was successful in not being detected.  Well Moira now you could do your little research into whatever.
      I went back and now it was to be how much could the body stand in the way of hurt and damage before you met whatever, if any, higher being. I was to go out., get myself hurt and then to get back to Moira so she could examine, and I hope, fix me up.
I went outside Megaton and was just in time to run into a Mole rat or two and got myself almost done like dinner. I ran back inside and she fixed me up good as new with some additional healing power. That was the good thing about that part of the research.
    I got some more goodies, some thank yous in the way of w@&k benefits and went merrily on my way. I now could be trusted and Moira would buy anything and everything that I could find and bring back. She was alos gonna give me credit for the research and a first volume of the guide.  Whoopy s#!t, I did the w@&k  so I know what to do. I lived through the damn research fortunately. Oh well, it's  something.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Nicely done, Gord - I recently did the Moira missions myself, with not nearly the success that you had (I had to use a God cheat to do the Mirelurk thing  ;D )  However, I was an expert on he last part where you had to go out and get yourself hurt  ;D

Art Blade

Ahhhh Gord is back with some stories! Pity I can't start a camp fire in my room without the neighbours going berserk outside  ;D

Nice read there, mate  :-X

I remember that crazy sh** she called "research." The hurting part was fun (jump off a balcony or the likes), and I think there was some "how much radiation can you stand without croaking" with extra points awarded if you returned in a way people would flick out their sunglasses or try to put a lampshade on your head.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Hehehe. I'm enjoying the quests. Some are a little weird but when you fit them into the story it gives a good depth to the game. I'm trying to figure out which one to tell next. In the wandering about it's a little bit sporadic as I sometime have a couple on the go at the same time.  Any suggestions? I'll try to do a story if I've competed the quest.

Art Blade

I'd read all your stories, gord, even if they were about how you watched paint dry.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Same here Gord - post anything because it is all helpful to someone like me that has not gone through the game fully yet.  Sure, I've completed all the main missions, but that goes rather quickly - I'm interested in any of the side missions and how they are done.

Ricamundo

Its a bit hard to recommend a specific quest, unlike FC2, where they're all laid out for you on the main map, here you've got to wander around and talk to people, some of whom will ask you to do this or that.

If you've finished the Wasteland Survival Guide, there's quests from the museum guy @ Rivet City, there's the Slave quest for the Lincoln Memeorial, there the GNR quest from 3Dog, the violin quest from that old lady(cant remember her name either lol) as well as the ongoing quests like the nuka Cola girl in Girdershade, the Sugar Bombs quest for the Ghoul in one of the subway stations, and pre war books, and Holotags for the Brotherhood.

If you Google F03 quests, there's a Wiki page that lists them all and who you have to talk to to start them. Oh, and BTW Gord, I too, enjoy reading your stories..Keep em coming! 8)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Thanks for the tip on the Wiki  :-X

EDIT: great quest Wiki - good enough to add to the Quick links!

Here is is also: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_quests

retiredgord

The only quest that I've not yet started is the Holo tag as I think that's near the end of the game. Ricamundo is thinking of Agatha's quest which I finished yesterday and I started and completed some of the Lamplight deal, at least the Buffout part.
I've got Agatha's Quest wrote out on paper and it should be a fair read. Hell some parts had the hair on the back of MY neck standing.   lol

Tags:
🡱 🡳