MAG

Started by spaceboy, January 29, 2010, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

MAG stands for Massive Action Game,  kind of lame sounding when spelled out lol, but that's exactly what it is.

MAG is PS3 exclusive, online only FPS that supports games up to 256 players at once in huge battlefields.  You must choose which of the 3 factions you will fight for (Raven, Valor, or SVER). The four game types are:

Suppression (basically training with your own faction deathmatch style)
Sabotage 32 vs 32 matches
   - either attack or defend a set of two objectives,  if they are captured you either fall back or press on toward a third objective.

Acquisition 64 v 64 matches
  -there are two prototype vehicles that must stolen or destroyed, but there are areas around to "hold" like bunkers and AA guns etc.

Domination 128 v 128 matches
  -Each defending squad is responsible for holding specific areas of the base
  -Attackers must eliminate front line defense emplacements (bunkers, turrets, tank traps)
  -Once in the inner base, attackers must take down anti-aircraft batteries and radar sensors
--Attackers must capture and hold objectives and inflict enough damage to the defenders base to win

This general gameplay is typical for an online FPS except that it requires much more teamwork than a typical FPS.  I don't play the suppression training mode.

They start you off in Sabo and w@&k to unlock Acq and Dom.  This is good because my first time I dropped into a Dom match it was disorienting but mainly because the area I was in was under heavy attack of air strikes.  The screen and controller were shaking, there was smoke and dust everywhere - it was beautiful...scary yes, but beautiful.

My first full game of Acq was last night.  This is only a total of 128 players on so it'll be interesting to try a Dom game from the start with 256.  But the thing is it is organized well and there are not 128 people shooting each other on the screen at once.  You are just a small part in this large skirmish, but you feel compelled to play your part and hold your area.  The sounds from close (and distant) explosions and gunfire as well as the immediate threat of enemies really feels unlike any other FPS I've played (well it feels more like you would expect what is potrayed in a Single Player game) - only this time it is all really going on.  I'm happy to say our faction won that match, but the bunker my squad was defending did fall in the last 5 minutes of play (matches last up to 20 mins in Sabo, but I think 30 in Acq).  So I wound up hopping in a truck with other squadmates and we drove off to help another area, a couple kills with the truck's turret and the match ended.

All I can say is "wow".  To me this brings something different to the table in this genre and it brings it well.

I also like the fact that you choose your faction and stick with it.  It really gives a feeling of fighting for your team when you log on.  Most games have you switching "sides" every couple games.  It's not the only way to play FPS, but right now it's the biggest way.  And the structure leads to much more tactical play than you typically see online.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Thanks for the nice review, spaceboy  :-X

Sticking to one faction is an interesting feature.

I've seen team based games where weaker players tried to switch sides a lot, always trying to be on the winning team. I've also noticed sometimes good players clustered in one team, being a devastating force to the opponents who didn't have a fighting chance. Sometimes good players would change from their (strong) team to the weaker team so they had a chance, trying to balance the fight a little. I hope this system, sticking to a faction, helps preventing unfairness and works in favour of balance.

Enjoy :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Thanks Art.  As for sticking with one faction, of course people can create multiple accounts and then play on the other factions, or just delete and start over, but most people don't.  you can also do it at some later point by reaching a high level.  I think though most people are starting to feel real loyal to their choice.

My faction, Raven, is the underdog of all three and tagged with having noobs etc.  I like that though, I'd rather be the underdog and see what we can scrap together.  Makes the wins that much more satisfying  ;)

Art Blade

:) You're a good guy, space, and I wish you and your mates of Raven good luck. I can see opportunity there and perhaps a better ground on which to base comradeship, because you have to fight for the scraps, and if you succeed, you may get stronger and stronger. High profile teams tend to have internal fights for power and ranks, and if they turn professional, it's not a game any more. So you will have a lot more fun with the underdogs, and it doesn't matter if you lose (everyone expected it) but a victory will taste sweeter to you than to any other team :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

good points Art, and thanks for the compliment.  No professional shooter here.  I have a real life friend who got the game and we've played a bit together.  Also, I responded on a thread at the PS forums regarding someone starting a small clan.  I offered up MGP as a place to have forums, while that hasn't come to pass, I have however joined up with them in the game and finally played a good few games with them tonight.  Wow, what a difference it makes to have even just 6 of us with mics, wanting to w@&k together, help each other.  We didn't win every match, some we got our hats handed to us, but we won a few (including a Domination one) and it did indeed taste sweet. 

Those big matches are really a wild ride, and like I said, if you stay at your objective you never see the other 100 or so teammates all from different squads and platoons, but you know they are fighting their fights and you can watch the overall progress of the 5 objectives.  It's hard to explain, you feel like a small cog in a larger machine, yet every kill you make, teammate you revive, bomb you plant or discharge is definitely a small step that helps the team achieve its larger goal.  I'm really liking it.

Tags:
🡱 🡳