What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

"...gauw, ik heb hulp nodig" --> "I need some help, quick"
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Binnatics

Finally took the time to reed the entire topic. Great w@&k Nexor on all this discovering. Funny thing is when I read the lines in Africaans you translated it sounds all very Dutch to me. There are slight differences, especially when you write them down, but in general even gramatically, the way the sentence is built, sounds recognizable to me. That's cool.
As I showed above I also ran into some lines in Africaans: It happened in the hut above at Goca Falls, after killing the suspect. A group of mercs attacks you while you're still in the hut. These guys speak understandable frases. I was quite surprised to be able to understand them.

I remember, when Worldcup Football was about to come to South Africa, there were various documentairies on Dutch television about the life in SA and the differences since the end of the Apartheid. There were various interviews with Africaans speaking guys and the conversations were all subtitled, but I could allmost understand everything they said. Some other speakers had a language which was more English-based though. How many (un)official languages are there actually in South Africa? And what are native languages? Is it only Zulu or more?

It's still interesting, I like foreign languages a lot ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

I just heared them say:
"Hau jy maai for dy gek?" (I hope I come close to the Africaans way of spelling)
In Dutch: "Hou je me voor de gek?"
In English: "Are you kidding me?"

Art Blade

what is "gek?" The rest looks as if it literally meant, "are you slapping my...?" :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Gek means crazy. He's actually saying: "You hold me for a madman?"  ^-^

Art Blade

good to have you around, helps preventing serious misunderstandings  :-()

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

what he says is: HOU JY MY VIR DIE GEK.......translated to english.........do you think i'm a fool,  fool (gek) in dutch...hou je me voor de gek

your explanation binnatics...are you kidding me......In Afrikaans it means....is jy laf..in Dutch......ben je laf

nexor

South Africa has eleven official languages. They are Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tswana, Tsonga, Venda, Zulu and Xhosa(the clicking language) very much like the bushman of the kalahari, only.....the bushman is just clicking....

nexor

Art Blade

:-X

Funny, at first we didn't have anyone to ask and now they're almost fighting over it :-()

fragger

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I think it's marvelous that we have members that can translate what we hear in the game   :-X

Binnatics

Quote from: nexor63 on May 27, 2011, 09:30:45 AM
your explanation binnatics...are you kidding me......In Afrikaans it means....is jy laf..in Dutch......ben je laf

But; "Ben je laf?" in Dutch means (literally) "are you a sissy?" -laf- means -cowardly- (google transpate helped me on that ;))

About the 11 different languages: WoW!!!! That's a lot!!! And it sounds like they are all quite independant, I mean not being a dialect or something. If you find different languages in Europe mostly they are linked to eachother and just different in dialect.
I'll check the clicking language, I'm quite curious for that. Without having heared it yet, it reminds me of Arab; that language has weird throat-sounds that are very different from most european languages. Sounds funny ^-^

nexor

In Afrikaans "Is jy laf" could also mean "are you being ridicules"... or... "are you out of your mind" in English, what the word "laf" means in Dutch?  that I'll get back to you.....I'm seeing my brother inlaw on Sunday, he's dutch.............. 

nexor

Quote from: Binnatics on May 22, 2011, 01:06:46 PM
I just heared them say:
"Hau jy maai for dy gek?" (I hope I come close to the Africaans way of spelling)
In Dutch: "Hou je me voor de gek?"
In English: "Are you kidding me?"

The correct spelling would be...."Hou jy my vir die gek"

Art Blade

fragger

Yes it is :-X

(Even though it's all double Dutch to me :-() )

JRD

Great discussion indeed, and great videaos about the clicking language.

I once went to Namibia and could hear a man speaking in one of those clicking languages... very interesting how it sounds  :-X

It's great to read about that in OWG... it adds so much value to our small community!  Kudos to you all!!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

nexor

Binnatics, I had a chat with my brother inlaw he wasn't very sure as he's not speaking as much Dutch now after his parents passed away but said it's quite possible that you're right about the dutch meaning of "laf", very interesting.........  :-X

Binnatics

Yeah, that's funny. Same word, same origin, but a total different meaning :)
The Africaans way of writing is a mystery to me... allthough when I read it I can understand.

OWGKID

I heard some mercs saying "Gloeste man, gloeste" "Wo's smoki daki" and "We need more cover geto!" (sounds like that for me, I can make out the meaning of the third line) ;) I also heard a guy talking about "Komme in den Hakkenrat" :o
LEGACY

nexor

I can only make out some of the words you posted GKID, if you have the clip where the mercs were talking so I can hear what is said, I will then be able to translate it for you

OWGKID

I found one of them on a different forum :-D http://sagamer.co.za/forum/showthread.php?14136-List-of-Afrikaans-quotes-in-Far-Cry-2/page4

Hoe smaak jy dit? Probably the "smoki daki" thing I heard  ??? :-()
Translation: How do you like that.

The "hakkenrat" is heard in your first video from 00:06 to 00:08. what are they saing Afrikaans 1[/ur
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳