What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Quote from: JRD on October 13, 2010, 08:21:32 AM
I`m tracking this thread too (I even slapped you in the back and gave you a thumbs up, didn`t you feel it?  ;D ) but am not really replying as I`m quite busy today and my boss is going around me as a shark around a bleeding tuna  ::)

But I really appreciatte your effort, mate... keep up the great w@&k!

My back's still smarting mate... ;D  but was referring to non-active members, some of them might have very valuable comments or game experiences to share but is either reluctant or too shy to draw attention to themselves.  The more active members OWG have, the greater this site will become.......viva la OWG.....

Art Blade

It is unlikely that those silent members will ever post. It is more likely that a new member joins who is going to participate.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

While this is not exactly Afrikaans/Cape Dutch I came across my something on my last play through that does raise the question "What are they saying?"   ????

I'd reached the point where I had gone to the airfield to rescue Reuben and received news that the Jackal was at the prison and I should go there next.  As I was getting ready to leave I noticed the group of people sitting circled on the floor were exhibiting a curious side to side head jerk that I'd not noticed before, so I went over closer to examine the behavior.

As I approached the group the ambient background sound shifted slightly and I could detect parts of language, mixed murmurs and an occasional word spoken that I could almost identify but was never able to say "Ah! They said ...".

The background sound there was rather eerie.

On a completely aside note I had noticed that there were lots of holes in the roof of that hangar many directly above that group.  In a previous time through the game I had exited the building after speaking with Reuben and fired off several grenades with the launcher at a high angle to try to drop a few inside one of the holes in the hangar roof and succeeded.  On reentering the things around the group that could be broken was all shattered and smashed but the group sitting on the floor (as well as Reuben) were completely unharmed.

If I'm not mistaken the people seated on the floor in the hangar are the exact same group (at least most of them) that we see in the final moments of the game where Reuben snaps the last picture of our character or the Jackal before the credits roll.  I believe even the clothing and facial features are the same and from other posts and from being able to actually get around the fence at the border crossing myself those people too are impervious to any of our weapons like the ones in the hangar.

Just passing on a few stray observations that probably don't mean anything.   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Excellent observations none the less  :-X

Art Blade

I've tried to blow those hangar people up, too, without success. What I keep doing, however, is slip a hand grenade through the gap in the back of the hangar where that fricking generator is located so it blows and stops humming before I enter the hangar. I hate those generators. :)

Quote from: mandru on October 23, 2010, 09:54:07 PMJust passing on a few stray observations that probably don't mean anything.   ;)

You're right.

;D ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

- mandru

nexor

Quote from: mandru on October 23, 2010, 09:54:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken the people seated on the floor in the hangar are the exact same group (at least most of them) that we see in the final moments of the game where Reuben snaps the last picture of our character or the Jackal before the credits roll.  I believe even the clothing and facial features are the same and from other posts and from being able to actually get around the fence at the border crossing myself those people too are impervious to any of our weapons like the ones in the hangar.

Aren't  these people  Reuben's family?  and if so........then it would be them showing up there with Reuben.... ????      I think so...... :-\\

Art Blade

Hard to tell, it crossed my mind, too, but then again, I don't think so. I'd have expected Reuben to say so, he was overly eager to tell us stuff until our ears were about to fall off, like when you turned away he got really angry ;) He would have mentioned them, I think.

fragger

I may be wrong - it's been a while - but when you're talking to Reuben in the hanger, doesn't he ask you to deliver some personal effects to his wife in the event he doesn't make it out? I don't think he'd ask you to do that if his family is right there with him already. Unless those are his kids in the hanger while his wife is elsewhere, and he means if none of them make it out... I can't remember exactly what he says during that conversation.

Art Blade

yeah, he gives you something for safekeeping.. you never see it nor can you actually deliver it..

mandru

I think fragger's got it.  Reuben asks you to make sure his wife and daughter makhaila(sp) receives a packet that isn't reflected in a animated exchange which I found rather incongruous but they needed a physical click from the player to update the "Current Mission" status.

I guess this player choice check point was functionally different from the subverted mission assignment where you have been instructed by one of the faction leaders to take an agreement to the opposing faction leader and pick up a briefcase of diamonds to seal the deal.

When your BB meets you downstairs they just tell you to grab the diamonds and hightail it to the landing field so all freelancers can evac but no click is required because you will run into the Jackal and never make that appointment.

Spoiler
There is no other way to play it.  Believe me I've tried everything I can think of.  You touch the briefcase and the Jackal's got a machete to your throat and you wake up at the prison.

I see that Art guy managed to slip in under me again while I was bloviating.   :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

did I?  ^-^

"bloviating"  ^+-+ Oh c'mon.. you're not bloviating. Just taking your time, perhaps..  :-()

Art Blade

One thing that I can't get out of my head.. since this topic is basically about languages in Africa...

Africa..

Johannesburg..

Miriam Makeba..

Pata Pata Dance.

It apparently contains the "click language" (Xhosa language) if I'm not completely mistaken..
apart from English, that is.. Does that dance still exist? I mean, that song was released 1967..

Nexor :) Any idea? :)

nexor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VrfadKbco&feature=related

To think that South Africa was at it's peak during the segregation era (Apartheid) when Miriam Makeba released the Pata Pata song....... She and the Pata Pata was on every South Africans lips overnight..... Today, more than fourty years later it's still strong, we often hear the song on radio and if you go into youtube you will see how far and wide the Pata Pata has gone......Sadly she passed away allmost two years ago to the day....... :'(

Yes Art you're right, it's the Xhosa language, somewere one of the members commented hearing some of the mercs using a language with "clicking" sounds... other than the "Bushman" language that consists mostly of clicking,  Xhosa also have a lot of "clicking" sounds...it's possable that Xhosa was also used in the game.....

Enjoy the Video clip...... :)   

Art Blade

fragger

Heh, that was a blast from the past! Thanks nexor, nice one :-X :-D

PZ

mandru

???

YouTube is like quicksand for me.  I went to Miriam Makeba's Pata Pata link then following out to see if there were other examples of Pata Pata still going on I ran across a very cute clip of young Asian girls in a dance class dancing to it (I've mentioned elsewhere on the boards that I'm an anime fan and those camera hogging girls were So Kawaii!   (Note: kawaii = the kind of sweet cuteness that can cause diabetes in too high levels of concentration  ::)))

After that I followed out links to Rita Moreno with Animal from the Muppets doing the song Fever and then onto a clip of Animal and Buddy Rich having a battle of the drummers and a Harry Belafonte and Animal Drum Duet (the clip title said solo but there were two of them , right/).

It never ends every clip I view has a whole set of new links to chase out.  The next thing I know it's
3:45 AM and I'm telling myself "Just this one more, just this one more... Wait what's this???

Anyway from what I've been able to figure out through extensive personal research ( ??? ) is that Pata Pata is alive and well on YouTube.   :-X
- mandru

JRD

Animal (the muppet, I mean) is absolutely great! That video of him playing with Rita Moreno is great... all videos with Animal are great... all Muppets are great!  ;D ;D ;D

And yes, youtube is very addictive... I too find myself loosing a few hours in front of the PC checking one video after another!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

Youtube should come with a warning label "May have a seriously detramental effect on your sleep habits. Not safe for w@&k"  ;D

Art Blade

that might be just a nice excuse.. "Look, boss, that keeps me awake. If I'm not allowed to do that, I'll go right back to sleep."  ;D

fragger

^+-+

I have a sure-fire YouTube habit-breaker: a cruddy net access speed. When I have to wait half a minute for every 5 seconds of footage to come down to me, or hang out until the wee small hours for my access speed to improve, it's easy for me to say no to YT ;D Which is just as well, otherwise I'd get stuck on it for hours.

Dweller_Benthos

Me too, Fragger, and mine is worse than yours I would think. Since it's dialup. No kidding. If I get 33K out of it, I'm happy. Sometimes it actually gets up to 37K or even GASP! 40K but not very often. Obviously, at that speed, watching videos of any type is out of the question.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

I still didn't read everything in this topic but I just heared some merc screeming "Wat verwacht jij?" or maybe more like "Wa' verwach' jij?" That is dutch (or at least sounds like it) and means "What do you expect?"
Gonna listen carefully and see if they say more before I kill them ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳