What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

When hearing "Liberation Radio", before and after each propaganda message, you hear a little bit of drums and singing, followed by a sing-song voice saying something that's probably a political slogan in an African dialect. I'd dearly like to know what it is he says - any clues, anyone?

I can't seem to find anything about it on the net.

changed the subject a little (adding "Afrikaans/Cape Dutch") /Art

JRD

If there is a place where the answer will pop up, this place is OWG  :-X

... heck, a member even decoded a morse code message once!!!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: JRD on January 29, 2010, 04:51:28 AM
If there is a place where the answer will pop up, this place is OWG  :-X

... heck, a member even decoded a morse code message once!!!  ;)

Indeed - we have had relatively regular visitors from South Africa - maybe one of them will see this post and do a translation.

wexer9

JRD

I remember a guy at the old farcry2world... he was from Africa and actually translated some merc swearing in africaner... actually it is the same as you hear in english, but sounds pretty cool in that game!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

I too wish we had some of the Afrikaans (Cape Dutch) merc lines translated to English :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Actually, I changed the topic's subject a little, so it might attract the right people... ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

The only thing I understand when one of the mercs is shrieking at me in Afrikaans is the word "Demon!"   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Some of the Dutch (and Afrikaans) is not frar from German, but in general, it's not really understandable for me. So I do catch the meaning of some of the lines (especially those mercs who ran out of ammo and hastily reload their shotguns) -- basically he's complaining that it happened just in the middle of the fight (something along the lines of "Great, now this is the perfect time to run dry, does it really have to happen right now") but some lines only contain single words that seem to be understandable, yet I can't really get the meaning of the whole line.

PZ

Quote from: mandru on January 29, 2010, 10:44:22 AM
The only thing I understand when one of the mercs is shrieking at me in Afrikaans is the word "Demon!"   ;)

I don't even understand that - all I get is the loose rattle of an AK  ;D

mandru

Quote from: PZ on January 29, 2010, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: mandru on January 29, 2010, 10:44:22 AM

I don't even understand that - all I get is the loose rattle of an AK  ;D

It sounds like the word demon is a cognate, that is it's pronounced in both languages and the only reason i could catch it.

Who knows? Maybe the word I'm hearing means something else completely different and you right PZ, it does get noisy out at the time those lines are delivered.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

lol, you're probably correct, mandru, but I couldn't help myself  :)

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on January 29, 2010, 09:54:21 AM
Actually, I changed the topic's subject a little, so it might attract the right people... ;)

Good thinking, mate :)

Art Blade

Ta, mate  :) I reckon it was what you had in mind :)

nexor

Guys I'm trying to find the audio files on the words spoken by the mercs in FC2, some of it is spoken in Afrikaans and Zulu, I was asked to help with traslating, I've been able to find all other audio files in the game except those, If anyone knows where I can find them please let me know so I can extract them, do the translating and post them here, thanks

Art Blade

I moved this from "off topic" to "questions" and made it sticky, so people actually see it.

Please help us here, guys :)

PZ

I don't know how the merc lines are embedded into the game files because I too have not managed to extract them.  The funny thing is that you can extract all the other sounds, but these.  Also funny is that I have extracted sound bytes that I don't recall actually hearing in the game.

nexor

you right about that PZ, I'm on my fourth round in the game and have not come across some of the sounds I found, but then I have not been on multiplayer yet, maybe some of the sounds come from there.

And thanks for the link to that little Extractor, works brilliant.

Dweller_Benthos

Other than extracting, there's some spoken stuff on the radio broadcasts, just stand next to a working radio for long enough. Other than than, it would be tedious to use AI Ignore mode and wander around hoping to hear the sound byte you're looking for.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

My pleasure, but thanks go to D_B who posted the original information. I believe that all the radio broadcasts extract nicely, and they are quite interesting to hear.  You can easily find them in the list of a million sound files due to their relatively larger size.

nexor

I'm still looking, asked ubisoft for assistance and waiting for response from them

Art Blade

nexor

Guys, I have not forgotten or given up, I managed to find the email address of the Administrator at Farcry2 Head Office, just sent him an email, hope I will get a positive response from him. Will keep you posted........... :)

PZ

Art Blade

That would be awesome :) Maybe if he visits OWG...  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳