Whose Diamonds?

Started by wexer9, January 28, 2010, 07:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

Who originally owned the briefcases filled with diamonds, and why do they have trackers inside of them? While some of the diamond cases have nearby subtle or not so subtle signs of battle near to them, most are simply scattered randomly in out of the way locations. Who put them there, and why?

Discuss. :)

mandru

It would appear that all faction mercs are paid in diamonds. The faction lieutenants that start you out in the tutorial tell you as much. Paper money's worthless.

Over time different mercs have stashed their cases for safe keeping and either died, forgotten where they have put them or just not come back for them yet.

Under the "Died" category you will often find a dead merc close to a diamond case. Some of the times it is almost as if another merc has seen them hiding their stash and thought "Gee that is really a good place, so how can I keep him from remembering to come back for them." and then killed the stasher but leaving the case for later pick up. If you look around the dead mercs you find near cases there's often a sledgehammer or some other obvious murder weapon. In Act II North of the South Western bus station the is a big baobab tree with a hang glider stuck in its topmost branches and the dead pilot is laying on the ground near his diamond case. LUCKY!

Under the Forgotten category there are some of the cases that have a wandering merc not tied to a GP out in the middle of nowhere as if they are searching for something. In Act I North of the Old Fort and West of the Oasis out in the sands there's a case that has one of these stray wandering mercs nearby.  In Act II there's a wandering merc South West of the GP that is on the road between Sepoko and the Cell phone tower to the south. He patrols near the diamond case that is also South West of the GP.

And as for those under the have not come back for them yet category? Hey that'sa too bad for you, EH?  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

:o

After that PhD thesis on FC2 economics, all I can say is:

Does it answer your question wexer9?

;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Nice rundown there, mandru :)

I really like the little tableaus that exist near some diamond cases where you can see what's taken place, like some of the ones mandru mentioned. There's one (I think it's the one NE of TaeMoCo Mine) where the case is in a freshly-dug pit with two dead mercs and their shovels lying around it (I think there's two mercs). But this one begs the question - why did whoever killed the mercs not take the case, if they caught them in the act?

There are a couple of non-GP cases that do have live mercs guarding them still, like the one on the north side of the island just north of Mosate Selao in Bowa. There may be others like that, I just can't recall at the moment.

Hang on, yes I can - there's one just to the west of the bus stop near the Marina in Bowa, in a round wooden hut, that has a lone merc patrolling the path that leads to it. Sometimes if there's a fight on the road or near the bus stop, he comes running down to see what's happening. I like to sneak up on that guy and dispatch him with a machete, then pinch his case.

JRD

Quote from: fragger on January 29, 2010, 03:46:06 AM
Nice rundown there, mandru :)

There's one (I think it's the one NE of TaeMoCo Mine) where the case is in a freshly-dug pit with two dead mercs and their shovels lying around it (I think there's two mercs). But this one begs the question - why did whoever killed the mercs not take the case, if they caught them in the act?

Maybe a discussion for ownership ensued and they shot each other  ;D :P

fragger

JRD

Have you seen "No country for old man" with Javier Barden, Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones?
In the beginning of the movie, Josh Brolin's character finds a place with a few trucks parked in the middle of the desert full of dead bodies around and obvious signs of a huge fight... he then tracks a man that fled from the scene and finds his body laying under a tree with a suitcase full of cash!

Now THAT could easily be a FC2 scenario with diamonds insted of cash  ;)

wexer9

Thanks, mandru, that's a pretty complete explanation. 8)

Quote from: JRD on January 29, 2010, 03:59:33 AM
Have you seen "No country for old man" with Javier Barden, Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones?
In the beginning of the movie, Josh Brolin's character finds a place with a few trucks parked in the middle of the desert full of dead bodies around and obvious signs of a huge fight... he then tracks a man that fled from the scene and finds his body laying under a tree with a suitcase full of cash!

Now THAT could easily be a FC2 scenario with diamonds insted of cash  ;)

I have seen some examples of this sort of thing in Far Cry 2, in relation to diamond cases. :P

RedRaven

Good film, odd but good. The Coen brothers make some top class movies.  And yeah, that scene is very Far Cry-ish.
Going to have to watch it again now :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Excellent summary, mandru  :-X

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Excellent, indeed, mandru  :) :-X

Yes, I watched that movie. There's another one (said to be the source that sparked the idea of creating FC2) called Blood Diamond with Leonardo DiCaprio.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

hmmmm... Blood diamond... hmmmmmm

Sure I watched the movies... not so good really... but now that you mentioned

- The white mercenary
- Diamonds are the only real currency
- The journalist (I rather have Jennifer Connelly than Reuben for sure  ;D )
- Factions
- Machetes
- the cars, the guns, jungle and savannah...

But these are all Africa's iconic features...

Didn't know this movie was supposedly the one that inspired FC2

PZ

I'd read that somewhere as well, and when watching the movie, you can see the parallels.

fragger

True. I quite enjoyed it actually, it wasn't top notch, but better than I thought it would be. I just happened to see that shortly before I started playing FC2, and the resemblances struck me immediately.

RedRaven

Quote from: JRD on January 29, 2010, 11:00:38 AM

Indeed, who wouldn't ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Quote from: RedRaven on January 30, 2010, 03:47:02 AM
Quote from: JRD on January 29, 2010, 11:00:38 AM

Indeed, who wouldn't ;D

her mum and dad, of course.  ;D

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳