Infamous Tips

Started by wexer9, January 27, 2010, 12:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

Prior to yesterday, I had only played Far Cry 2 on Easy and Normal. Today I decided to try out Infamous. Admittedly, I was surprised with how quick I could be killed. If I stayed at a distance, I could do pretty well, but if a shotgun merc snuck up on me or if I got too close...well, I was a goner.

Any general tips for surviving Infamous?

Art Blade

No close quarters combat, use water bottles to regain a little health, take care you are always equipped with syrettes, don't use a syrette if you're only lightly wounded. Simple? No  ;D

Well, you'll surely get some more replies by our members, but for starters, I recommend you watch Mechsican's vids (playing on hardcore) to be found here (read topic, there are a few more).  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Don´t spend too much time in one position, move a lot as they will flank you!

Headshots mate, headshots.  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

My third play through was on Infamous, and to make matters worse its also when I decided to do it keeping an accuracy score of 100% . Boy was it hard, at least at first.
My tips would be -
Forget shotguns, not enough shots between reloads and short range. Great if you can get very close, but no good against groups of 3 or more mercs.

Sniper rifles rule. Specifically the Dragunov SVD, and with 10 rounds to a clip you cant go wrong. Would often spend up to half an hour watching the guards at an outpost waiting for the best opportunity to take all the mercs out in quick succession. And you can usually position yourself a fair distance away and still be effective. Also works on convoys or patrols if you have the patience to find the right vantage point.

Use the environment to your advantage. Most mercs will just keep shooting toward where they last saw you so its good to keep low behind cover until they need to reload then pop up and finish them off.

Vehicles are excellent weapons if they carry a gun or not, some outposts you can just charge straight through, running down a merc or two in the process. Just dont keep to a straight line, that way they cant a clear shot.

Grenades & Molotovs. Essential, as many as possible and as often as possible.Its good fun to set a large fire going to one side forcing the mercs away from it even trapping them against boulders and buildings, thats when you throw a grenade or two in to the mix. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Refresh your weapons as often as possible too, I always call in to the arms dealer whenever I'm anywhere near one. The weapon crates in safe houses are perfect for maximising your potential too. For example will almost always have a sniper rifle and fire causing weapon on me (LPO-50 & Dragunov) and in the crates (Flare pistol & Dart Rifle).
Also do not be afraid to go on the offensive and charge in with the machete. Have done it many times and it still amazes me how some mercs react. Some just stand there looking at you, others are frantically trying to reload their gun, and every now and then one will actually turn and run away.

Really a lot of it is down to what weapons you have on your, the terrain, and of course how many mercs your up against. A good mix of patience and lunacy helps too

Once I managed to get up into the fort to grab the case and back out with just 2 shots from a sniper rifle to deal with the two tower snipers, once inside I used only grenades, molotovs and 2 clips in the silent makarov.

There you are, my guide to Infamous survival. Hope you find something of use in it :-X

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

This is excellent help for any difficulty level, Red  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Wow, thanks for the tips, guys. They will really help me out! :-X

Art Blade

Welcome, matey. Please let us know how it goes  :)

mandru

Cool tips RedRaven.   8)

Thanks
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

wexer9

I've been using these tips to great success. I picked myself up a Springfield, which has gone well, so far. I've been using my vehicle weapons more than ever, and using molotovs to create diversions and confuse mercs.

But the most important thing I've learned is to save. A lot.

On infamous, a single assault truck patrol can take you out with a single burst from the machine gun. Save often, I can't stress this enough. ;)

Art Blade

a rule I learned long ago :) "be safe, save often" I have around 30 GB of FC2 savegames (backup folders) on my HD  ;)

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 27, 2010, 06:26:52 PM
a rule I learned long ago :) "be safe, save often" I have around 30 GB of FC2 savegames (backup folders) on my HD  ;)

Holy crap!

I only keep a few saves per career. :o

Art Blade

LOL, now this is triggering that old gag we kept doing for a while here, involving "son."

Like, "watch and learn, son"  ;D ;D ;D

JRD

At the end of my first playthrough FC2 I had about 1,000 save files on my PC!!  ;D

Now, everytime I finish a career I keep some 30-50 save files with that character... which gives me a few hundred savegame files so far  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Terrific list of tips back there, RedRaven :-X :-X

I actually enjoy playing on Hardcore the most. Tough enough to still be challenging, but not so tough that you get killed with monotonous regularity. On Hardcore you'll generally get killed only if you get sloppy, but you still have to be careful.

I played through on Infamous once, and it was TOUGH! I remember the many, many repeated attempts to get out of the Oasis alive after tagging the King's gold, even with a rescue buddy trying to save my bacon. Incidentally, I think that's one of the toughest parts in the whole game on any level, and very much so on Infamous.

The game also took me considerably longer to get through on Infamous, partly through dying and reloading so often, but mainly because you have to be so VERY careful and patient. Also I did a lot more moving around on foot then, you can't just go hard-charging around with reckless abandon in vehicles the way you can on Easy or Normal, or you're soon history. I also found myself sneaking around GPs a lot more, instead of trying to engage them.

But you do get a sense of real accomplishment when you complete the game on that level.

One tip I'd add to RedRaven's list - try to do as many missions as you can at night, even if it means doing a lot of sleeping. At least you'll be refreshed all the time! ;D

RedRaven

At the Oasis plant a load of IED's before you go down the ladder, then you can detonate them before you come back up ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

wexer9

LOL, IEDs can be pretty cheap sometimes. ;)

Thanks for the tip about doing missions at night. I've been learning this on my own, as well. It's much easier to be stealthy or avoid combat altogether this way. Ninja! 8)

Art Blade

Switch off your car's lights at night (you'll see but not be seen easily).

Real Ninjas were not the guys dressed all black wearing masks as you see them on TV or in movies all the time. They were experts in espionage, mostly, trying to blend in with people they were surrounded by. They'd dress as farmers when travelling over land or as salesmen when in a city and so on. If they had worn all black, they'd have been as insuspicious as a pistol shot in a church. If they were to assassinate someone, they'd probably poison someone rather than slash him. :)

wexer9

Lol, thanks for the history lesson. 8)

Also, I always turn off my headlights, because it doesn't really increase your ability to see - just your enemies'. :o

RedRaven

I usually smash them with the machete. Odd thing is if you save then re-load the headlights w@&k again even smashed. Go figure!

Art Blade

you don't even need to reload. Just switch them on and off a couple of times, eventually they'll start working again  :)

RedRaven

Wow, need light bulbs like that in my house.

Art Blade

hahahaha, good one  ;D :-X

fragger

Quote from: RedRaven on January 28, 2010, 04:01:38 AM
At the Oasis plant a load of IED's before you go down the ladder, then you can detonate them before you come back up ;D

Damn! Why don't I think of these things? :D

I forget how useful IEDs can be at times. Thanks for that tip too, Red :-X

I didn't know that about the lights either, Art :)

Art Blade

Thing is, I can't tell when they'll w@&k again. But breaking them isn't enough if you want to stay invisible, you should always switch your lights off, lamps broken or not. :)

Yxklyx

Finished an Infamous game. Too many reloads - too easy to get killed but I liked the lower ammo capacity. If I play again, I might try Hardcore but only save at the in game way points.

Tags:
🡱 🡳