Crysis 2

Started by Dweller_Benthos, January 12, 2010, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Figured it was inevitable, so it looks like late this year it will be released. Supposedly sandbox, but we'll see how open world it really is. Same story line as far as I know, so expect aliens, futuristic weapons, and the nanosuit to return. Those of you who want only real workd weapons & action, looks like you're outta luck.

http://www.ea.com/games/crysis-2
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

afaik there will be a console release too which lends a sense of awesomeness to it for me.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

I'd like to know more, I hope that they learned from their mistakes :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Quote from: Fiach on January 12, 2010, 11:05:23 AM
afaik there will be a console release too

yes, at the end of the vid you can see all kinds of console brands and they explicitely state "console and PC"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

The original ends in a hollywood blockbuster scene at the aircraft carrier where Nomad (you) destroy a huge alien war machine and take off in a VTOL.
But it's only one of their toys  ;)
That cryogenic sphere still freezing the jungle back on land and I clearly remember a cutscene where you asks for Prophet (your squad leader) and when told that he still onshore, you say "ready my suit, I'm coming back in after him"
Crysis 2 will sure take from there... minutes after where Crysis 1 left.
Knowing the plot I don't see how thay can fit a sandbox story in there, but never underestimate developers!
Crysis one one was one nice linear FPS, but I can wait till prices drop for that sequel though.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

That was a good summary and yes, now I remember all that stuff. And I can wait, too ;)

I remember in Crysis I kept reloading two scenes or missions that I liked to replay, one at the beach after you picked up a comrade who had landed in the trees, or so, I liked the water in Crysis. Both rivers and sea. Was fun to use the current of a stream or river to float downriver in a boat, or drop things in and watch it float away, bodies included :) And the other scene was somewhere near a guard post with large trucks, a large truck full of soldiers patrolling farther uphill, and on top was some kind of a construction site, I remember heavy machinery, maybe a radio station of sorts... downhill was a house next to the guard post where you found a lot of ammo and a sniper rifle (or at least a scope for it). That was the main reason, get a sniper and go up the hill and take the bad guys out. Else... nice graphics in the alien ship, I liked to float around and to crack ice crystals and stuff that kept hovering around in weightlessness. Steering at zero gravity was fun, and I liked the roller coaster ride through those pipeline systems :) That's about it, I think... I never bought the sequel were you could play as psyco. I hope that Crysis2 brings something interesting and fun with it.

Dweller_Benthos

I just love the water effects in the Crysis games, you can't beat the streams that actually flow and will carry away the bodies, lol.

Crysis Warhead, where you play as Psycho, was pretty good. It's a parallel story to the first one where you play as Nomad. In the first one, when the two meet up, Nomad asks Psycho where he's been, and Psycho replies "You wouldn't believe me" this is after Nomad just came out of the alien space ship with the zero G and such. Warhead covers what Psycho was up to. At this point, I'm not really sure of the rest of the story line, but what I've read so far about Crysis 2 is that it still takes place in a tropical place, but not an island in the ocean. I think they said it's a jungle, but seemed to imply that it was more urban than trees.
D_B

Art Blade

thanks for the small but nice review of warhead, D_B :)

Tropical? Jungle?  :) Sounds like the devs (Yerli brothers) stick to or return to their favourite environment, the one they started off with in FarCry (1). I loved it.  :)

JRD

They say the idea is to make a shooter in a place you'd spend your vacations!  ;)

Art Blade

INDEED! Every time I played FarCry (1) I felt like I was on holiday. I mean, the natural environment.

I won't spend my holiday in a bloody warzone with M&Ms (Mercs and Mutants) ! ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, Warhead is a decent amount of game, not as long as the original, but you don't expect an add-on to be anyway. If you can pick it up for cheap, which it probably is now, or one of the combo packs, I'd say go for it if you liked the first one even a little.
D_B

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 14, 2010, 12:08:13 PM
INDEED! Every time I played FarCry (1) I felt like I was on holiday. I mean, the natural environment.

I won't spend my holiday in a bloody warzone with M&Ms (Mercs and Mutants) ! ;D

Hahahahaha
Apparently, one of the devs actually was on hollydays on a tropical paradise and thought "Wow, what a great place for a shoot out" and decided to make a FPS over that inspiration.
At least thats what I remember seeing on an interview with devs team when FC1 was released

Art Blade

thanks for the recommendation, D_B :)

JRD, yes, I remember an interview where they said something along the lines of "Go there and take loads of photos" because they wanted to model it after the real thing. So they went and did as they were told :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 14, 2010, 01:09:15 PM
thanks for the recommendation, D_B :)

JRD, yes, I remember an interview where they said something along the lines of "Go there and take loads of photos" because they wanted to model it after the real thing. So they went and did as they were told :)

Man... I could do that for a living...  :-\

Art Blade

Yeah, getting payed to go on a holiday and take photos of beatiful locations, flowers, trees, carnivores, spiders, poisonous snaaaaaaargh....

Nice avatar there, JRD  ;D

ninzza

Anyone here looking forward to this game ? I'm very excited for it, but the trailer looks unimpressive.

www.gametrailers.com/video/the-wall-crysis-2/64318

spaceboy

I never played the original but obviously heard great stuff.  So yeah, I'm excited to be able to play this on PS3.  The suit is kind of funny looking but I expect it'll be a lot of fun to play.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

ninzza

I really, really want to play the original but alas I cant afford a high end computer to run it.

Art Blade

I played Crysis... once. Replay value: extremely low; I remember one part of the game I replayed a few times because it offered a few options to do that part differently (approach) and that was where you found a sniper rifle scope in a shack next to a guard post, a truck with soldiers driving down a serpentine from a hill, on top of the hill was kind of a construction site. That was the only thing I had fun with; impressive regarding visual effects was inside a spaceship where you encountered zero G and jellyfish-like aliens floating around... but not really fun to play. The hype before its release was massive, but when it was released, basically no PC was able to run it maxed out; there were options hidden in the configs that would enhance the graphics even more = unplayable for then PCs (unless you were into OC and had Vista for DX10 for even more graphic eye candy). Overall it was disappointing. Unlike FC2 which was a stunner and still is fun to play and still looks very good.

If you check youtube for Crysis 2 and CryEngine 3, you'll get to see a lot of stuff that is possible but we don't know yet how much of it will make it into the actual release. CryTek will have to be very careful about what they say because many people haven't forgot what happened back then (like, oh yeah, we will feature tons of far-out stuff... but they never did). Stuff like that also happened with ArmA2... "destructible environment" -- we at OWG were dreaming about it after having seen test play vids that actually featured nice stuff and game mags reported how cool it was... it never made it into the release.

So I'm all chillaxed, and we'll see what we get when it's ready. But some of the stuff on youtube about Crysis 2 did look really great, I have to say  :) :-X

ninzza

Thanks for your input Art. I've watched a lot of walthrough videos of Crysis on Youtube, I have to say aside from having mazing graphics, the shooting looks a lot of fun. The player have freedom to play the way he wants similar to FC2 but its stealth is better than FC2 thanks to the cloak mode. When I heard Crysis 2 would be released for consoles I was very excited but I'm a bit disappoited that it'll set in NYC. I prefer the lush jungle over urban settings.

Art Blade

Heh, the decision to make it out of the tropical islands and forests into urban environment is quite certainly a response to many gamers who kept whining about how, after FarCry(1), now Crysis(1) was again set in the same tropical environment. The same obviously happened to FarCry2, just for diversity reasons. I loved the tropical island setting, too, and I wouldn't mind a third episode set there  ;D

JRD

I got Crysis at the same time as I got FC2... I had a new motherboard and wanted to play serious shooters with it  ;D ;D

I think Crysis could've made history, but they didn't make it well... I mean, the game looks amazing, even for today's standards, and the suit is a great idea to add something different to a FPS, but in the end is just another linear, corridor shooting. In the first half of the game, corridors are wide, from the alien ship on, is a tight corridor linear shooter just as any other.

You don't really have infinite choices to approach your goal... you barely have two or three paths to get there in the beginning, and you use mostly the cloak and bulletproof abilities your suit provides, the rest is quite useless... strenght eventually, but the speed feature ain't that good... after a short sprint you're done!

If only devs made a game where you must master the suit in order to keep up, then it would be great.

Other thing I thought undeveloped was the aliens... with such a technology, all the do is throw icicles at you!.

As for the NY setting now, I'm still sure the game will start where the previous one left: with you going back to the cryo sphere to rescue Prophet... how it will get to NY, I don't know, but I was really surprised to see such a differeent scenario for the sequel. I was expecting more jungle, after all, they had a huge w@&k making all textures, tress, rocks, water etc...

After playing the first one, Crysis 2 is a game I don't intend to get... maybe if they make it a lot different, but I seriously doubt!

Art Blade

same here, I too doubt that I'll get it (after Crysis 1 was so disappointing). What even more so makes me doubt is the simple fact that there are aliens in the first place. When I watched a vid about Crysis2, I thought it really looked cool, until those fricking aliens popped up. Gah...

ninzza

I hate aliens too, if I play the original Crysis I only play from the beginning to the end of chapter 6 (before the encounter with the aliens) but the aliens in Crysis 2 are human like and according to Crytek, they knew the aliens AI was bad so they improve it this time. So shooting the aliens in Crysis may be a lot better than in previous game.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I'll probably get it, but the holidays are a long way off, so who knows? I was thinking of picking up the new Aliens v Predator but I just read a review that says it pretty much sucks. AvP 1 & 2 were pretty good, though linear, shooters.

Seems we have all been spoiled with FC2.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳