Getting burned out on FarCry2...Now what?

Started by eor123, December 22, 2009, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I've played FarCry2 all the way through at least four times in as many weeks and I have to admit I have arrived at at point in which I want to put it away for a while. I'm starting to memorize the dialogue.  ;D

The problem is I can't seem to find another game I am interested in playing. It seems FarCry2 has "ruined" me. Conventional, linear First Person Shooters now seem boring and the fantasy/ sci fi/ comic book themes found in many games don't appeal to me.

I've been searching for another game with similar attributes -- open world, FPS using modern weapons, realistic scenarios, entertaining AI, etc. and I'm not having much luck.

I even went back and tried the first FarCry but it seemed pretty primitive and unsatisfying compared to  FarCry2.

I know there are several games referred to on this site but so far none of them seem to meet my criteria. I did try Fallout 3 but didn't like it -- too much "extraneous stuff" for me -- more of an RPG than I care for.

I guess I'm looking for a game that is essentially FC2 wrapped in a different package. Is there such a game?

Is going online the answer? I have the capability but have been reluctant to try since I am really not that good with a controller. I basically get through these games by being patient, methodical, and slow. I don't think I'd last 5 minutes in a live game where I couldn't control the pace.

Anyone have recommendations for the XBox360 platform?

Could be a long wait until FarCry3 is released.     :(
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Fiach

borderlands has a more open world than most FPS games.
its like FO3 but more fun and less RPG stuff.

Lots of good FPS games out there just not open world.

Clive Barkers Jericho, you have a team each member has a cool power, you can play as any of them.

Dark Sector , you have a metal disc like Xena that can be powered up elementally.

Others to try that should be pretty cheap;

CONDEMNED 1 and 2
THE DARKNESS
DEAD SPACE
PREY
HALO
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Although I initially had no intention of Assassin's Creed 2 because it did not feature modern weapons, I took a chance and got the game anyway, and have not been disappointed since.  Although the weapons are bladed, poison, and other old-style killing implements, the animations are outstanding, and the killing methods excellent.  This is the only game that has held my interest like FC2, although I must admit that it is not exactly a replacement in my mind.  You might check the online videos.

mmosu

I have to echo what Fiach says about Borderlands.  I recently finished my first playthrough and couldn't wait to start again.  It is not as long as FC2, but if you do all of the side missions it approaches the length of a "stripped down" playthrough of FC2 (like if you did main missions and arms dealer missions only).  It is a bit more RPG than you may be used to, but not so much that it is cumbersome (you will still spend much more time shooting stuff than you will staring at screens full of statistics).  It does have a "modern" setting, although it may be a bit more sci-fi than what you are looking for, and the weapons systems are interesting although some certainly do not exist in our world.  The writing and sense of humor present are top notch as well, with many little name puns and pop culture references buried inside.  If you are interested in reading more you can read some more detailed reviews written by Fiach and myself by clicking here
As far as finding a replacement for FC2, I'm sorry to say mate, but I'm not sure it's out there.  It seems to be one of a kind - a cruel mistress who will woo you with it's fantastic environment and story while ruining you on all others, and then just kick you to the curb when she's finished with you  :'(
But we all keep coming back for more  ;D :-X

spaceboy

hey mate, mmosu is right - there is no replacement for FC2 but I agree with PZ that Assassin's Creed 2 might just suit you as you can take your time planning your assassinations as much as you want.  The many animations in the killings are great - I've seen a few online that i've not witnessed myself so it gives me encouragement to practice my disarms.

Also, if you haven't tried Battlefield Bad Co. I recommend it even just for the single player campaign especially at how cheap you can get it now.  Your squad mates are hilarious and the FPS action is fun, but again you can pretty much move at your own pace.  It's not open world but the levels are pretty open and give you plenty of breathing room.

Good luck!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

retiredgord

i played Borderlands as co-op with my son-in-law and consider it a choice for the future. O course, that is after the wife purchases the necessities of life like the 25 th purse or the 5th coat for spring (CAuse they were on sale)  or other important things.  LOL :) :)
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

eor123

I appreciate the suggestions. As for "Bad Company," it is perhaps my second favorite game and I'm looking forward to the next installment. I hope the sequel doesn't take itself too seriously. That was one of the more enjoyable aspects of it. I would like to see the rest of the squad be a little more useful though.  ;D

The kids have been trying to get em to play Assassins' Creed but I don't know if I can get past the medieval time frame and weaponry. I'll borrow their copy and try.

Very true about the effect Far Cry 2 has on one's gaming experience and preferences.  It's hard to explain its   appeal to those who haven't played it or don't get it. The clerk at  Gamestop recommended "World of Warcraft" after I described why I was so fond of FC2. Ugh.

I may just have to slog my way through FC2 on Infamous. With my mediocre gaming skills, that should keep me occupied until one of the games I find appealing is released.  ;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

mmosu

WOW? WTF?!!!
Has that joker played FC2?!!!  Gamestop - man, I wonder about those guys sometimes...

Art Blade

eor123, I don't know if it will help you, but you might get a few ideas for your FC2 reading my article "A different approach -- if you have played it through" (click my signature) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Not that knowledgeable about Xbox titles, but as for FC2 on infamous I say DO IT! The biggest difference is lower Ammo, Grenades & Syrettes. When I play at that level I take the patient sniper approach and w@&k at keeping 100% accuracy, it makes for a much slower game and you may be surprised at some of the things you will see through your scope.

My weapon load is usually flare pistol, dragunov svd and crossbow. keeping grenades & molotovs as a defensive last resort to cover any retreat, oh yeah and using machete to smash lights on any vehicle I'm using to aid stealth.

Find it rather relaxing sat in cover for 10 to 30 minutes observing merc movements and timing shots for maximum effect, its also fun to just wound a merc this way and wait for his pals to come to his aid giving you more and more easy targets ;D

If you want something fast and furious with much bullet spitting then would recommend Borderlands.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

FC2 seems to be about the only game in town for matching your criteria, eor123. Can't vouch for the other suggested games as I haven't played them myself as yet, but I fully intend to give Assassins Creed a go in the New Year, even though like you I'm pretty much a strictly modern weapons, FPS kind of guy.

But I wish you well in your search. If you find anything, please let me know. I'll do the same for you.

Quote from: mmosu on December 23, 2009, 01:58:40 PM
a cruel mistress who will woo you ... while ruining you on all others, and then just kick you to the curb when she's finished with you  :'(

Psst, mmosu - do you have her phone number...?

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on December 24, 2009, 02:11:04 AM
... oh yeah and using machete to smash lights on any vehicle I'm using to aid stealth.

Err.. have you tried hitting "G" to switch lights off as you start the engine?  ::)

... any comments about the "G" spot? Please, post away!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mmosu

The headlights are just an annoyance to me - I never use them. My finger is preprogrammed to automatically go to the "light's off" button immediately after pressing the "enter vehicle" button - it does it by itself, I can't stop it  :-\

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on December 24, 2009, 07:01:48 AM
The headlights are just an annoyance to me - I never use them. My finger is preprogrammed to automatically go to the "light's off" button immediately after pressing the "enter vehicle" button - it does it by itself, I can't stop it  :-\

same here  :) I don't smash them because sometimes I want to use them.

eor123

I hate to admit that I was on my third play through before realizing that the right bumper button on the XBox controller turns off the vehicle lights.

mmosu

Got a little easier to drive around at night after that, didn't it ?!  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳