Bobby pins

Started by retiredgord, December 17, 2009, 03:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

Damn, these shaky ole arthritic fingers keep breaking the bobby pins. Is there anywhere I can get a slew of them?
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

darn, you're not on a PC! Can't give you a cheat, then  :(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sorry Gord - as Art implied, using the PC allows you access to hundreds of mods, one of which I'm using - a mod that allows you to equip a bobby pin as a weapon, which then picks almost any lock in the game.  Unfortunately, mods are not available on the consoles.

Ricamundo

I dont know of any one place where you can get a pile of em, unfortunately. :-\I think the most i've ever found in any one place was 3 or 4. Keep searching the bodies of ghouls, and places like lockers, desks, tool boxes and tool cabine
ts, and even med packs somtimes have one or 2.

How is the leveling up going? Lockpick skill is essential if you want to crack those pesky locks, and as your skill increases, you'll break less bobby pins..
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

retiredgord

It's probably (the level is about 75 in lockpick) my technique. I can't consistently find that sweet spot.  My s-i-law explained it to me and I was ok for some butI think sometimes I start turning the screwdriver too soon or late. For me this is like the gliding. Anybody got any video of the good way?

PZ

Not me - I'm in the same boat as you - I break pins even on the easy locks which is why I installed the bobby pin mod.

retiredgord

Well thanks for the help anyway. I guess I just have to try a little easier. By the way as info the PS3 allows you to save at any time as well as auto saves. I know this was not asked but it was brought up in another forum.

Art Blade

Well. It's going to be fun for you, Ricamundo, and gord, it's nearly as much fun as hacking security passwords on those terminals  ;D

Basically there are two rules:

1) Don't think of the lock as a lock. Think of a face of a Clock.  :) Like, up is 12, down is 6, left is 9 and right is 3. Think of the pin as an hour hand of a watch

2) The easier the lock (you get that info once you try to pick it) the less possible positions to pick = more space to play around without braking that thing

How to:

Try "10" or "2" to see if your screwdriver can be turned easily in the left half or right half of the clock. If it doesn't move, don't force it, move the "hand" like 2 hours into the opposite direction ("ahead" or "back"). If you notice you can twist the screwdriver quite a bit before the pin starts to break, move the pin just a little ahead or back, like "half an hour" (the harder the lock, the finer the "time" adjustment, like half an hour or a quarter of an hour)

If the pin breaks, remember "what time it was" when it broke, and position your pin there before you continue with your attempts.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Good advice Art. :-X The more free play you have with the lock, the closer you are to the sweet spot. I think at 75 skill you can attempt all but hard/veryhard locks, so there's plaenty of loot out there. one thing i've noticed about locked items, is that they don't nescessarily mean the loot inside is woth the bother.

I've found that office buildings, full of desks and filing cabinets, will yeild the most caps and ammo.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

retiredgord

Thanks very much Art and Ricamundo. I can picture what you have said and it seems that is when I can open the locks. I'll just have to try and not be too zealous when trying to get into a safe or box. It's true sometimes a lock is just not worth the bobby pins when opened.

Tags:
🡱 🡳