Remember the first time, when...

Started by Art Blade, December 13, 2009, 12:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I've just thought, we all like to remember and to talk about stuff we used to do, back then... the first time we did this and that... About time we started a topic  ;D

The first memory ever regarding FC2 is as follows:

A friend of mine, actually the one who first mentioned FC2 to me long before it was due, and I, started to play at about the same time. We talked over the phone, land line, with a fixed rate so we didn't need to worry about long calls, and both of us used hands-free telephones. So, we fired up the game, both single player. We had done something like this several times, so again we chose a location (so we were in the same place of the map), say Leboa, Pala, bridge to the west or something like that, and I remember we both had night time in the game. We wanted to do an arms dealer mission southwest of Leboa and had to cross a GP we didn't know (everything was brand-new) and we didn't use the map much. The GP was north of the bus stop and south-east of that lake with the safehouse on that isle. I remember how I accidently happened upon an AT patrol so I shot those mercs, and for the first time we heard that long and loud "Ahhh-haaaaaaaaaaargh" when I killed someone. My mate started to laugh on the other end of the line, asking what the hell I had just done, I said "nothing special, I just killed him" -- both of us laughing. The GP had those fuel pumps, like old gas stations had (see Post Office) and I didn't want to destroy them because I had read that a flamethrower could be refuelled, assuming that those gas pumps may be used for that (lol).

The other experience I remember is driving around in a boat, and finding Shwasana for the first time. It was a foggy morning in that game, and I thought "wow, another town" (like Pala) and happily drove in. What a surprise, everyone was so trigger-happy and started to shoot at me! Well, that was where I found my first sniper rifle, and I remember I called my mate and told him I where I had found that sniper rifle  ;D

Now it's your turn :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I recall the first time I ascended one of the Church towers to the third floor - I thought I'd found something unique that no one else had discovered.  Using the SVD, I picked off every merc in Sefapane, and was quite proud of my achievement - so much so, that I tried the same thing in Mosate Selao.  At first, however, I didn't think that you could ascend that tower because I didn't realize that you need to go to the opposite side of the ladder  ;D

Needless to say to the experienced FC2 players on OWG, I was not successful in the big town - I thought: "these d@m&d guys just keep coming!"

I also remember the first time I went up the "secret" foot path into the OCC growers area - I couldn't find the proper spot to jump up so I brought my AT up the path and used it to jump up that last boulder.  Also needless to say for anyone accustomed to that area, you don't need anything special - you can easily hop up the boulder to continue into the area.

mandru

My first couple times through the game I was getting the snot kicked out of me by the mercs that the only place I ever drove was between Mikes bar and Pala. Literally I walked or swam every where in the game because I was convinced the mercs could hear me coming and it was always trouble if I inattentively ignored the map for a moment (not that I was that good yet at reading the map) and came up on a CP before I could set up to be ready for them.

Not having access to the fine maps we have here at OWG thanks to Dweller_Benthos' hard w@&k and generosity and not knowing yet where any of the diamonds were I poked into every nook and cranny that I stumbled across.

Quite honestly there were times back then that I was so lost that I got into places that I still can't find again. Those places had to be common areas to any one of us but because I hadn't firmed up my mental images of where everything in the game was yet I wasn't able to create mental marker tags saying this feature is close to this landmark so that I would ever be able to recognize them again.

Crouching and crawling everywhere I went and still in LeBoa I was convinced that I had come across an old volcanic cinder cone beside a lake. My Diamond Locater was  flashing away and I worked my way up into the volcano although some of my approaches were blocked by too steep of an ascent or rock walls but I eventually claimed the diamond and slunk off into the night and into other sorts of trouble.

For months afterwords I kept my eyes peeled for that volcano again wanting to give it a good daylight once over but was never able to find it. The real mystery increased the first time I was able to go through the game and collect all diamonds and I knew that the volcano had a diamond sitting on a rock ledge at the top of it.

Some where around my 20th play through, it was night and fresh from the East LeBoa Gun Shop/Armory, I was going South from there and was headed for the South Eastern bus stop to get back into Pala and accept my next faction mission.

Wanting to avoid the CP and ATP further on down that road I cut left and went cross country out across that meadow towards the 3 mercs at the converted bus hut where the Predecessor Missions are picked up. The flash of the Diamond locator reminded me that I had not stopped to pick up that diamond in that pile of rocks just North of the little lake.

I hopped up, grabbed the diamond and prepared to drop back down to my waiting AT and I realized where I was. Turning and looking back towards the Lake confirmed the Deja Vu prickling the back of my neck. I'd found the volcano! Even if it was a sad reflection of the mental image I'd stored away it was the place alright.

All I can think of is that on my first attempt to get the diamond I must have circled the base of that pitiful pile of rocks 3 or 4 times not realizing that I was recovering areas that I'd already been over. My memory of the mountain I'd scaled on that first encounter was 10 times larger than the reality.

I chuckled for days every time I thought about it.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Very entertaining story, mandru, and the part that made me laugh aloud was this:
Quote from: mandru on December 13, 2009, 03:36:10 PM
Quite honestly there were times back then that I was so lost that I got into places that I still can't find again.
So funny, happened to me (and probably many of us) too :)

I had troubles with the map. I think it was towards the end of my 2nd through that I discovered something. As a sidenote, I'm on my forth playthrough now, but I take my time. I think my last through had a total of 130 hours, not counting the time I spent without saving (doing all kinds of silly things then) before I reloaded a "save game", and right now I'm again at 40+ hours. so it is quite possible that I exceed 500 hours game play. Well, the discovery was that I could change the map on purpose (using the reload key) which I would have known earlier, had I read the manual... So it was rather late in my gaming that I could properly orientate myself, and I had to get used to the different map displays (zoom levels). Oh yes... :)

I think it is alright to repeat a little story here (no one will find it in the depths of the forum anyway) regarding malaria. Malaria attacks almost ruined the game for me. In short: I knew you could take on a main mission and an underground mission. So I had two missions going, and I prioritised the main mission, wanting to continue with the underground mission. I must have taken the last pill without thinking, I thought I'd manage to get to the yellow circle on the map in time to receive my pills. So I completed the main mission and had a malaria attack but no pills. No problem, you can stand more than one attack without medicine. When I got to the underground location, I had the second malaria attack, but hey. Now the unexpected: I didn't get my pills, unlike in Pala, when that priest just gave them to me. I had to go on tour! I never made it. The third attack without pills came over me, the game treats it almost like a rescue mission, you leave your stuff behind (my car) and wake up in the church of Pala or in the hospital of Bowa, depending on where you are. I didn't realise why and what really happened, I am able to reconstruct it from memory and explain it with what I know now. Back then, I thought malaria would strike at random and was afraid of a new reset (church/hospital) which meant to go all the way back to finish that mission. I quit FC2 without finishing it. But. After a while I wanted to give it another try, which made me search the internet and made me find this site. I decided to join up here and found out that the game is much better than I had thought, and I started experimenting. That, and other stuff, led to the topic you all know: (funny) tactics and tips. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

There is something about the first time playing this game that seems magical.  It was for me, but mind you I'd only played really two other "next-gen" games on my PS3 and never really played an open world game.  I wonder now if ANY game no matter how good can give me the same feelings of awe, excitement, and fear that FC2 delivered.

I had read about the game and pre-ordered it so I thought I knew what to expect, but it's the little things that I didn't know.  After scraping through saving Flora, and subsequently going to that first safehouse, I decided to go to Mike's - she had said to meet her there.  It was pitch black and the drive to Mike's was terrifying - I thought any moment now I was going to get ambushed.  I was driving so fast I drove right off the pier and into the drink!  It was total panic. "Oh crap, I'm gonna drown, how do you open a door again?".  Lo and behold Mike's was closed.  I don't remember the exact circumstances but I guess it was too early in the game to have anyone there.

I then took a nap at the safehouse and went back to Mike's in the morning.  Still thinking it was closed because it was too early in the morning for a merc bar to be open.  I think I just hadn't completed the mission yet or something.  Anyways, that memory will stay with me for a long time coming I'm sure.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

That is a nice story, about Mike's bar :)

It was terrifying for me, too. I thought mercs (especially those ATPs) could be everywhere  ;D

mandru

My first time through the game I had picked up the first UFLL mission.

Freshly reequipped from the armory I left Mike's bar and was headed out to meet my buddy for info on dealing with the special forces that were in country to take out the high level APR official.

So the safe house was close by, just East of Pala and looked like a short hop. Cut through Lumber, take a right, another right then straight on until the first left and I'd be there.

Easy, yes, no?

Head lights on I hit the perimeter of the camp and my map switched on me and the simple straight line through Lumber disappeared amid a maze of tangled roadways, none of which at a glance looked like the one I wanted to take.

In retrospect one of the mercs must have fired a flare as soon as they saw my headlights because I slowed to study my map and the next thing I knew I had two ATs pinning me front and back and there were more guys shooting me from the bushes than I could count.

I tried to bail and do the run through the jungle but was cut to pieces in very short order. My BB popped in and pulled me clear but there were so many still of them pressing in that they overwhelmed both of us and I learned that you can't do first aid if your being shot up. I had to go back to a save point to continue.

I was left with the clear impression that I had underestimated the situation and I was clearly not playing a "Safe Game".

For several times playing through after that I was overly cautious and walked usually crouched almost every where or took the bus whenever possible.

Fortunately finding the best weapon set up for my playing style and building up confidence through the various missions I settled in and started giving back a lot better than I was receiving and that's really when the game became more than just pretty but terrifying and actually became fun for me.

Once I found OWG I was really able to improve my game by identifying many remnants of my being unnecessarily over cautious in the way I played.

Thanks Guys  :-X
- mandru

fragger

Great stories, all :-X

I was a fan of the original Far Cry, and I just happened to see FC2 in a shop one day so I bought it sight unseen. I hadn't even heard about it before. When I got home and opened the box, the supplied double-sided map was the first thing I found. I unfolded it and studied it a little, of course it made no sense to me at that point, and my first thought was, "My God, don't tell me I have to try and remember my way around all this?" The getting-lost potential looked awesome. I didn't realise at that point that there'd be an in-game map to refer to which would show you where you were.

First time in the game, I was really impressed with the taxi ride intro sequence. Looking at the scenery, observing all the goings-on and listening to the driver's prattle, I was immediately immersed. But then the drive went on... and on... and on. It seems quite lengthy, first time around, and I was thinking, "Where the hell is this guy taking me? There is a game around here somewhere, isn't there?"

Then my first malaria attack outside the hotel in Pala... Finding the Jackal in my room (I actually flinched when he swung that machete at me)... Getting out of the room... The battle,  where I actually got my very first merc with my very first shot in the game, a lucky headshot right outside the door... Trying to fight my way out of the hotel, only to be gunned down in the lobby... By this time, I was thinking, "This whole game is nothing but scripted sequences!" and I was actually starting to go off it.

But after that, I really started to get into it.

The first place I found myself in after the battle in Pala was Fresh Fish. After I'd completed the tutorial missions and started doing real ones, I was immediately in love with the open-worldness and freedom of the game. I also soon got used to the idea that I had no friends in the field. I found that out on my first real mission when I approached a GP thinking, "Now, are these guys on my side or the other side?", blissfully unaware that none were on my side. Of course, they answered my query with a flurry of lead replies, and I knew.

At one point later on I found myself near Fresh Fish again, and since this had been a "safe" area at the start of the game, I thought it still was and just moseyed on in, only to receive a somewhat warmer reception than the one I'd anticipated. This resulted in my first buddy rescue, which I thought was very cool in an emasculating sort of way.

I loved all the "firsts". My first buddy, my first successful mission, my first zebra (THUMP), my first baseball slide, my first hang glider flight, my first overheard merc conversation (which just happened to be the one about the guy with bugs in his "barse" – it cracked me up), and many others. It didn't take long for me to get hooked, and I still am.

Then I found OWG, and after reading a whole bunch of posts from the seasoned and inventive veterans here I realised that I'd only just scratched the surface of this game. So I'd like to add my thanks to mandru's for all the wonderful contributions you guys have made, and for allowing me to get more out of FC2 than I probably would have done otherwise.

Cheers to you all :-X

retiredgord

Well my remembrance is of the little path up to the back of the Airfield north of Mikes in the south. I had decided to wander up that road when i had to turn off quick to avoid and kill the Jeep patrolling. This is off the north-bound road near the safe house that is by the bridge and barge mission. Well I wandered up and found it entered the area  on the same side as the RPG or mortar dude. Well I  had fun then as I could  pick off anybody in the whole camp, starting with the fore-mentioned targets.
   My real pleasant moment was in realizing I had found a spot some others had missed. I gave myself enough pats on my back that I almost hurt myself. It was pleasing to see that I had contributed some info to the game as well as what I had gotten from other players. That's the most memorable first for me.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

I can almost visualize each of your early memories as I read your marvelous stories.  Entering a new game is always a challenge because of the "unknown" factor.  As many of us have played almost every corner of the FC2 world, traveling and setting the stage for successful task completion becomes second nature.  These days, the only time I'm shocked or surprised is when I'm killed because I've made a stupid mistake!  I'll always fondly remember FC2 as the best game I've ever played, and will probably continue to play for many years to come (albeit less frequently now that I have other games to hold a bit of interest).  One thing I'll never forget from my earliest experiences is the excited anticipation as I fired up the PS3 to continue the game.

JRD

I remember tossing some grenadaes and being amazed as the trees shook and leaves flew all over the place... I thought "How about a molotov?" and tossed one in a sunny day in some area I won't recall exactly, but that had the dry savannah vegetation all over.
To my astonishment the fire started spreading "Holly Crap... the whole place is on fire"... and so was I, of course... as my jaw dropped, all I could do was move the mouse around and watch the beautiful flames bending under the wind, leaving only black, burned stains in the landscape.
Didn't notice my energy dropping in time to run away, or when I did it was too late to escape...
I had no rescue -ready buddy then, so it was over in no time  ::)

I also remember picking up a fight at Pala for the first time, trying to get those two diamonds into the garage... had a real bad time then and escaped to the shoreside to be shot down and rescued for the first time! I then got thrilled to have a buddy by my side firing against the mercs... little did I know back then  ???

But most of all, I vividly remember the first time the taxi driver took me in the airport and I was in the back seat enjoying the ride... I couldn't believe there was a game like this and I had a PC that could run it...I though "Wow... look at that game, the shadows, the rocks, the water, the fire and all characters!!!"

Now everytime I get that ride to Pala I know exactly where I'm passing by and have so many firefights recollections on each spot that I can't help but chuckle  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Very nice stories, peeps, very nice, they all make me smile all the time while reading your posts.  :) :-X

The backside path to the airfield in Bowa, mentioned by retiredgord, had completely escaped my attention. I didn't know you could go in from there! So I was very thankful for that tip :) Still, whenever I need to go to the airfield (especially during one of those missions when I need to help out my BB), I silently mumble something like "I'm going to use gord's path, then" and smile to myself for knowing it from good ol' gord of OWG  ;D

The taxi ride impressed me too, the first time... Like JRD I was stunned. Incredible that I was already inside the game, what a great country! The colours... trees, sky, sunbeams, a little plane in the skies to the side, boats on the river, fire.... FIRE! wow...

And oh dear, the hotel. Terrifying. I was left alone, barely survived some madman and a malaria attack, and now I'd have to get out, out into a bloody warzone with a pistol? (I was so nervous, I didn't see the other gun) So when I got into the lobby I tried to stick to that wooden stand to the right of the entrance, stick to a wall, duck, cover... and shot with trembling hands, hitting nothing, and got felled. I never made it across the street  ;D

Later on, like fragger, I returned to my "base" (slaughter house) just to find out the base had turned hostile?! And some GP I had cleared on my way out had respawned on my way back, nothing I'd ever have expected, and I believe it got me killed  ;D

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 14, 2009, 01:37:39 PM
...And oh dear, the hotel. Terrifying. I was left alone, barely survived some madman and a malaria attack, and now I'd have to get out, out into a bloody warzone with a pistol? (I was so nervous, I didn't see the other gun) So when I got into the lobby I tried to stick to that wooden stand to the right of the entrance, stick to a wall, duck, cover... and shot with trembling hands, hitting nothing, and got felled. I never made it across the street  ;D

Interesting, I don't think I ever have been to the lobby of the hotel - I've always jumped out of one of the second floor windows into an alley to escape the town.  However, I typically play on easy, so escape is relatively simple  ;D

Art Blade

Now you can imagine my surprise and relief when I found out about jumping out of the window! After all I had gone through the first time  ;D

PZ

The road to the underground house in southeast region of Leboa

I'll always remember an encounter with a couple of mercs in an ATP - I was heading west on the road while they were headed east.  Typical of my head-on encounters these days, I zoomed by them - which necessitated their turning to chase me down.  Unfortunately for them, the road was narrow, and their AT went over the edge and fell to a ledge just far enough so they could not climb up.

The looks on their faces was like this  >:( as they shot their weapons futilely at me (laughing the entire time).  As I turned, still laughing at their antics, I was awestruck by the view (as I frequently am) of the valley in this location.  I've mentioned this in a post (buried in the bowels of OWG now) before, but is still one of my favorite "beautiful moments"

Art Blade

for some reasons unknown, "bowels" reminds me of coffee beans. An OWG-insider... ;)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 14, 2009, 02:41:53 PM
for some reasons unknown, "bowels" reminds me of coffee beans.

Probably because caffeine stimulates intestinal hypermotility  ;D

Art Blade

good thinking :) But it was this:

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 21, 2009, 08:04:40 AM
Quote from: Art Blade on April 20, 2009, 12:48:22 PM
yummy. You know what? In my office, a couple of days ago, when I remembered the story I posted here, I searched my inbox and found it. While I was reading it, a workmate came by with TWO bowels filled with different coffee beans (chocolate covered and those that have a soft chocolate coat covered with cocoa). I looked at her and those bowels and started laughing... even more, when I looked her in the face -- she was so completely clueless what was going on with me  ;D ;D ;D

edited typos

That sounds like pretty personal information to be sharing, and unhealthy as well. lol.

spaceboy

;D  that was a dang funny one Art.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

some things just stick with you. Now every time I read "bowels" I think "coffee beans" -- great  ;D

PZ

lol, I forgot all about that one!  :-X :-X

mandru

There was the first time I noticed that the happy chat up and running monologue of the cab driver at the start of the game was a thinly veiled cover for deeper pain and even some sarcasm for him.

A Datsun dummy blowing a stop sign with no regard for rules (I guess we should be happy that the DD honked instead of jumping out and shooting).

He points out the fire and speaks of a family tragedy and laughs "He'll be back".

Passing ATs escorting truckloads of mercs and blaming the the burning wreck on youthful exuberance and comments about everyone trying to pile on boats to get out (on rivers that as it turns out, don't go anywhere that could be considered "out").

Then I see it, an arms manual, amid the clutter of the cab, for a weapon that the driver is studying.

Is he being drawn into working for one of the factions since paying customers are getting scarce or is he one of the underground? Will a report of a new merc in town soon be delivered to Father Malia.

I keep meaning to jot down the serial number on the cover of the manual to look up exactly what weapon it is the cab driver trying to study up on and wonder just where he fits into the back story.
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on December 14, 2009, 06:17:11 PM
I keep meaning to jot down the serial number on the cover of the manual

FM 25-82, "Department Of Defense". The rest is blocked by binoculars.

PZ posted this screenshot and it shows the manual. :)

[smg id=179 align=center width=400]

Here is a magnified version from my rig:

[smg id=1784 align=center width=400]

If I'm not mistaken, the same manual can be found at Mike's bar in Pala. It's placed somewhere on the bar I think.

mandru

Thanks Art.  :-X

Not finding any promising hits on Google for more info on "FM 25-82". :(

- mandru

PZ

Farcry Merc 25 round mag - model 1982

;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳