Buddies

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 07:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiba

Hi, something else i don't really understand.
I read somewhere (probably on that forum) that I can get only 4 buddies max at Mike's place. But I found out that on the map there are more than 4 buddies (4 close to Pala and one close the crashed plane) So I'm not really sure to understand.
What is it best to do ? Go to all the buddies' place and gather them or just do their missions and they leave the place ?!
Argh, ain't sure I understand clearly the buddies stuff .... sigh*

PZ

You'll find 6 buddies in the north.  The first one is the one you meet after starting the game.  Then there are others found in the slaughter house, lumber camp, cock fight arena, and fishing village (depending on how you escaped town).  Check the Tutorial missions menu above for more details on the town escape.  You can go to any of the areas mentioned above on your own, or wait for the rescue missions to appear (from the front door guy at the APR or UFLL headquarters).

There is one "missing" buddy that you'll need to find on your own (no mission given).  He/she is found north of Schwasana.  Check the map for the location marked by a star.  Find it under Overview maps, then click Leboa (the northern district), then click the north central region of the Leboa map for a closer look.

As to how you rescue your buddies, I have not found that it really matters.  There is only one thing; in order to do all the buddy quests (2 per buddy) one of them eventually needs to die (Mike's only holds 4 buddies).  If at least one buddy does not die, then the last buddy never shows up at Mike's.  It is easy to kill a buddy - I just did a main mission and Warren (my main buddy at the time) called me to do the subverted mission, then come help him fight off the mercs.  I did so, but when I went to help him, I lined him up in the sights of my dart rifle and let him have it.  Went back to Mikes, and a new buddy appeared.

JRD

The buddy system was supposed to be much more interactive.
At least, thats what I think..... maybe I'm wrong......
You should interact with them during the game so their history with you would increase and so the way you and him / her interact. Thats why you have history points in your buddy menu on your note pad and you get a "Marty Alencar history increased" message when you do one of their missions.
Unfortunately, for some reason, it didn't w@&k like that.
What you have now is a certain number of buddies who assign specific missions (side quests if you like) to you as you approach them at Mike's. Each buddy has two missions to deliver to you. Their quests are basically steal, kill or destroy something like other missions in game and when accomplished, will earn you buddy points and reputation (which upgrades your safehouses).
You are right about the number of buddies at Mike's. I think pzrzao first mentioned that Mike's support only 4 buddies at a time, so one of them must die so the other one can get in and assign you a mission.
Check for the stars in the maps provided in this site (D_B's excellent w@&k) and you'll will find all buddies in the north and south regions of FC2.
What I do is, if I'm injured and get a buddy rescue, I treacherously shoot him in the back. Not a polite way to deal with your buddies, but who cares? Besides, it makes a chair at Mik's available to the fifth buddy... but make their side missions first
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

shiba

I see, thank you very much for all your informations !
By the way, I was wondering, is there many "main quest" missions ?
Because I did like only 2 of them (I got like 12% of story completion) but I spend my entire time doing the side quests first because I'm afraid to get through the main quest too fast ...
Besides I'm lacking diamonds, ok I can look for them but I forgot : will I get some when doing the main quests missions or not ? I'd like to buy easily a lot of new weapons ...

PZ

Sounds like you're a fan; not wanting the game to end too early - don't worry, you'll probably end up playing again.  Your procedure is a good one to maximize the number of missions.  Yes, you can find diamonds out in the wilderness, but you get paid in diamonds for doing main missions and assassination missions (the cell phone tower missions)

shiba

Haha ! Yes, I really enjoy playing that game, everytime I leave the game putting the controller on the table I'm saying "damn, that's a wonderfull game !"
I did all the towercell missions and the armory missions so now I'm focusing on the buddies missions.
Actually I love the play a stealth way so I play mainly with the dart rifle and a sniper rifle but I often get discovered and get into the fight throwing grenades ...
I was also wondering is there any like special moves with the knife ? I mean, if I sneak behind a guy can I do a move like "silent kill" or something like that ? Because the man always end up screaming !! Haha !
Also I found out that people are using some kinds of mine (I forgot the name maybe AEDs ? or something like that) where can I get them ? At the Armory ?

spaceboy

Shiba,

Your tactic is good.  I'd say make sure you do all cell tower, and buddy missions before you hit 35%.  It was just after 40% where you move to the second act (Southern District) and lose the chance to complete those buddy missions.  My first time through that's what happened, 2nd time through I've been more cognizant of holding off the mains for awhile.  That said, with the cell towers and a couple main missions, you should have enough rocks to buy some decent weapons.

The machete doesn't do silent kills too well as you mention they scream because it takes about 2 slashes to get them down.  The IEDs are in the armory (you have to buy them in the gun shop).

Always great to hear from someone enjoying the game as much as we do.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Quote from: shiba on March 27, 2009, 09:38:46 AM
Also I found out that people are using some kinds of mine (I forgot the name maybe AEDs ? or something like that) where can I get them ? At the Armory ?

Its called Improvised Explosive Device - IED
You have them available to purchase at the very beginning of the game, costs 10 diamonds if I'm not wrong...
IEDs are one of my favourite weapons against convoys and to do assassination missions from a distance (sneak in, place the IED and leave unseen to detonate it from far away... they'll never know what hit them....)
Oh... try that... attach one or two to your car, that's quite tricky to place one, but you'll do it eventually.
Then drive towards a guard post as fast as you ride can get. Make sure you have the detonator selected when you hop into the car.
As you get close to the GP, bail out and push the button.... hahahahahahaha...
It is the sum of the IED blast + the car blast + any ammo/explosive pile nearby... keep a safe distance

spaceboy

Love the evil laugh jrderntl...are you the guy who loaded your car with IEDs and drove through the concrete barriers in town, parked your car in the street, then blew it from a distance?  I remember a picture posted with like 8 IEDs on a Datsun.

PZ

I remember that one too spaceboy!  Great screen cap, and the story gave me the motivation to do similar with the convoy trucks.

shiba, if you like stealth, purchase my favorite secondary weapon, the 6P9 (silent pistol) - you can sneak into areas and often kill everyone without ever raising the alarm.

JRD

No, it wasn't me.
Actually I was the one having trouble with placing IEDs. I started the topic, back in the FC2 world, about how to place multiple IEDs and how to attach them to surfaces like cars and walls.
Also I did one assassination mission in Sefapane where I attached the IEDs and parked my Datsun close to the target to detonate it from the bridge. No screenshots taken though
Good memories, good, good memories

PZ

Hey, that's a good one jrderntl,
I'm going to have to try that some time - I'm getting to enjoy the car bomb thing!

spearhead_22

Err...this might sound funny, :-\ but I have never tried out placing multiple IEDs on a vehicle and then blowing it up. The reason??....I don't know how to plant multiple IEDs!! I can plant a single one and then the detonator just pops out! Dunno how to take out another one. Maybe it's time I tried that out too. Could you guys tell me how to do it?

* I play the PC version.

Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

DKM2

If a buddy says we can make some money with this, they don't mean YOU.   >:(
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

spaceboy

Spearhead, I'm not on PC  (I'm on PS3) but try the reload button to get another IED up.  It is possible but I always forget how.

JRD

Quote from: spearhead_22 on March 28, 2009, 02:16:58 PM
Err...this might sound funny, :-\ but I have never tried out placing multiple IEDs on a vehicle and then blowing it up. The reason??....I don't know how to plant multiple IEDs!! I can plant a single one and then the detonator just pops out! Dunno how to take out another one. Maybe it's time I tried that out too. Could you guys tell me how to do it?

* I play the PC version.

I had a hard time trying to figure that out too...
But, in fact, is really simple... just press the right mouse button......
I felt quite dumb when I realised that.... but once I did I started playing like a kid... blowing multiple stuff at the same time.....
have fun

PZ

You are going to have lots of fun with multiple IEDs guys, if you haven't already done so.  At times I've been sneaking around major location areas planting an IED on each flammable that I can find (acetylene tanks are great because they fly around).  Once I run out of them, I go to some high point and torch the lot - man the fireworks are great!

Roaven

To cycle, it's just the Aim Down Sight button. I learned this about halfway on my first/second playthrough. It's not necessary for convoys, as you just need to take out the(empty for some reason) supply truck. However, it can help taking out the jeeps guarding it.

spearhead_22

Will give it a try, spaceboy. Thanks.  ;)

Great, jrderntl! Thanks for the info! Let's see if I can have the fun now, I was looking for to have with IEDs ;D
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Ricamundo

Quote from: jrderntl on March 28, 2009, 05:00:24 PM
Quote from: spearhead_22 on March 28, 2009, 02:16:58 PM

* I play the PC version.

I had a hard time trying to figure that out too...
But, in fact, is really simple... just press the right mouse button......
I felt quite dumb when I realised that.... but once I did I started playing like a kid... blowing multiple stuff at the same time.....
have fun

Wow, i had wondered about this too. I think i'll give it a try. ;D Thx for the tip.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Tags:
🡱 🡳