Game play video

Started by PZ, November 26, 2009, 09:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

There are some interesting foes in this game!
[smg id=1706 type=av]

fragger

Interesting graphics, looked a bit like an animated Heavy Metal comic.

Fiach

here is one I like, its got a nice soundtrack, plus shows some vehicle combat :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvFeHqEwbSE

Here is a video for the Neds Island add on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9nAa7fFJPE
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Cool - the game does look like you're playing in a comic book - what a novel approach.

mmosu

It's definitely an aquired taste - I love it but there are some for whom the jury is still out . . .

Ricamundo

Sry, i would really like to say something positive about this game, but at this point, i dont think thats possible. :P
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Fiach

Art Blade

LOL @ Ricamundo & Fiach  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sounds like Ricamundo doesn't like the game  ;D

Ricamundo

Quote from: Fiach on December 01, 2009, 07:14:27 AM
Huh?

Well, looking at the vids, the graphics look awful, and gameplay is just stand there and shoot weird creatures, or am I missing something? ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

So is it first or third person? Most of that video looks to be first, but some shots there are third, can you switch back & forth? I was thinking of getting this after I finish Call Of Juarez.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

RedRaven

Its all been first person so far, and nothing in the list of controls for changing perspective. Not sure yet what it is when inside a vehicle.

"taste acquired"
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

Quote from: Ricamundo on December 01, 2009, 11:54:16 AM
gameplay is just stand there and shoot weird creatures, or am I missing something? ;)

Just stand?

LOL, yeah, do that and maybe last for about 5 seconds :)

Its a FPS, the reason you can see some third party footage, is probably from Co-Op gameplay, looking at members of your team.

You play the game as a choice of one of four characters, they all have radically different play styles, Heavy Machine gun, Light Machine gun plus elemental damage, Sniper and Demolitions, but you can mix and match to a certain extent.

The graphics looked crap to me until I actually saw the game running, its more 3D than the videos indicate.

But yes, the creatures do look weird, I'll give you that :)

Ricamundo

Oh i never thought it might have beeb footage from Co op. :-[ I dont mean to be negative, but i have to admit, as an old time shooter fan, FC2 has simply changed the way i look at PC games now. Graphically, the open world milieu, everything. So every FPS or first person RPG shooter gets measured against that in my mind.

Art Blade

I think that's not a bad thing to do  :) Then again, Borderlands clearly chose a different path entirely, cell shading and comic style surrealism -- it's a different visual approach.

RedRaven

Almost Totally agree with Ricamundo in regards to FC2. BUT - got to say I'm also pretty hooked on Borderlands too, all be it for very different reasons. Where FC2 looks, feels and plays in a very 'realistic' world (transferred to the game through its setting, graphics and gameplay) Borderlands is almost the opposite, with its comic book graphics, weird creatures and post apocalyptic setting.

Call of Juarez had a similar effect on me, got it, played it but could not settle into it enough to enjoy playing it.

Until FC2 the only FPS experience I had was Stalker SOC/Clear Sky, Fallout 3 and Morrowind (not a FPS as such but near enough). And FC2 did raise the standards considerably, I've come to see Borderlands more along the lines of Gauntlet for the 21st century - turn it on, play in single player or Co-op and get shooting your way to the next level-up. Where as with FC2 its more a case of turn it on, get your mission then plan your approach, weapon load and exit strategy etc.

Obviously not every game is going to suit everyones taste and preferred style of play, (for example I prefer Tenchu stealth assassin of Assassins Creed 1, but AC2 looks very tempting). 
The great thing about OWG and its regular contributors is the way a new game will get a review posted purely on that players opinion. There is no Market forces at w@&k trying to convince anyone to actually go out and buy it (find magazines and TV shows dedicated to gaming often have to much bias).
At the end of the day if a game draws you in and gets the endorphins pumping then its a good game for you, and we all have our own little combinations of triggers.
Lastly its a good sign, and important too that Ricamundo can freely post his comments / opinions with out it being followed by dozens of posts attacking him for his honest thoughts :-X .

Because lets face it, thats one of the things that makes OWG what it is. As Billy Joel said "Dont go Changing" :)

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

*Note to self..."must attack Ricamundo more"*

:P

PZ

Quote from: RedRaven on December 02, 2009, 03:45:43 AM
...Lastly its a good sign, and important too that Ricamundo can freely post his comments / opinions with out it being followed by dozens of posts attacking him for his honest thoughts :-X .

Well said Red - although I'm sure other sites like OWG exist, they seem to be a rare occurrence.  After reading the opinions of you folks for the past year on all subjects from food and drink to our favorite video games, I feel that I know some of you better than I know a few of my neighbors.

I can honestly say that I'd not be playing some of the games I've started without reading the opinions of OWG members.  For instant, the most recent favorites FO3 and AC2 would not have remotely piqued my interest had it not been for the mini-reviews I've read here.  Sure, not all of the games written about have my interest, but I appreciate reading the impressions nonetheless.

One other thing I greatly appreciate about OWG is that despite my failing memory, I'm not berated for asking a question that has been asked before - visit just about any other game site and I can just about guarantee that you'll see posts by a newbie asking a simple question that requires only a simple answer.  Instead of receiving such, a plethora of rude replies in derisive tones chastising the poster for not searching properly.  It is as if some of these forum lurkers spend most of their time trying to elevate themselves at the expense of others - most annoying that some individuals minds are so small that they feel it necessary to dwell on such foolishness.  Many sites have tens of thousands of posts to sort through - who has the time or energy to spend perhaps an hour or more searching for an answer that could have been quickly and courteously answered.  Even as small as OWG is, it is often difficult to find something that you barely recall, but know that is here somewhere.  Here, I can be sure that someone (usually Art  ;D ) will have a ready, quick answer, even if it directs me to an existing post on OWG - some people just have better searching skills than I have.  ;D

mmosu

Agreed to all above...

In the interest of classifying Borderlands, I don't even consider it the same genre as FC2.  Sure you could make the argument that they are both FPS's, but that's where the similarities end, and that's pretty superficial as far as similarities go if you ask me.  The style, scope, and gameplay itself is all totally divergent.  I would advise that the graphics not be judged on the basis of a grainy, jumpy YouTube video - it is impressive in full HD.  The writing is very good too, has had me laughing several times so far, and it's a completely different type of humor than is present in FC2.  I was skeptical when I first saw it too Ricamundo, but after having played it for awhile I can say that I'm a believer.

Ricamundo

Ok, i will repent. ;D A year ago, i would have been all over a game like Borderlands, just a nice straightforward run n gun type fps is what ive enjoyed for years, going all the way back to Wolf 3d. :)

But since i discovered more intensly immersive games like FC1 and FC2, Crysis, and FO3, i feel there's just something missing, if i don't feel as if im right there walking on the very soil of the game world. That's what blew me away about FC2. It was me and my gun against the other guy and his gun. No mutants, freaks, monsters, aliens, or zombies. That, and stunning real world graphics made it unique, imho. I still have a screenie of a beautiful FC2 sunrise used as my desktop. 8)

It was, in retrospect, grossly unfair of me to judge a new game by a couple of trailers, so, i'll re evaluate it, based on reports, and in game screens from the peeps here, who are actually playing it. ;) Hey, ya never know... ;)

Art Blade

mmosu

Quote from: Ricamundo on December 07, 2009, 11:09:00 AM
Ok, i will repent. ;D

That's more like it  ;)

In all seriousness though, I completely get where you're coming from.  I needed a change of pace after almost a year of having my head buried in nothing but FC2, and Borderlands provided me with that.  Rather than having that "boots on the ground" feeling you're talking about, it's a game that doesn't take itself seriously (if that even makes sense).  It's a tongue-in-cheek, exaggerated, comic book world - and again, not for everybody. 

Fiach

I'm sending a heavy dose of redemption your way Ric :)

Ricamundo

Quote from: Fiach on December 08, 2009, 01:58:57 AM
I'm sending a heavy dose of redemption your way Ric :)

Bottle it, and put it in the OWG fridge. I hope it's good for what "ales" me. ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳