Buddy quest: Radio Station at the Dental Clinic

Started by PZ, November 18, 2009, 08:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

There is nothing special about this adventure, but I thought I'd tell it anyway.

Frank issued a mission to take out a radio at the dental clinic - was happy to oblige.  My usual approach is via the "secret" passage into the clinic from the underground house to the west.  This time I thought to try a different method.

Starting out at Port Selao, I took the swamp boat near the bridge and motored to the GP with the Dragunov sniper tower south of the clinic.  Sneaking up the wooden stairs, I took him out with the trusty 'ol 6P9 and then listened to the concerned voices beneath.  A couple of Molotovs later, the confused chaps were no longer with us.

I then walked up the road (the main entrance into the clinic) intending to get the sniper, which was effectively accomplished with the dart rifle.  Ascending into his tower, the other mercs were angrily (but unsuccessfully) attempting to dislodge me from my perch - threw a few Molotovs in their direction - moments later the Mission accomplished message appeared, evidently caused by the burning of the radio.

A casual stroll back the way I came completed the mission - nothing creative or original to report here - just another illustration of the fact that a new approach to an old mission makes the fun continue as long as you have an imagination

mandru

Nice  :-X

I usually just cut the motor on my boat and squat down, dart rifle ready before drifting out into the river sniper's line of view as I clear that final bend in the river and then tag him at range. A large part of why I enjoy this site so much is that I keep bumping into other ways of approaching common obstacles that jolt me out of the ruts that I tend to employ overcoming them.

Be aware though, the sniper's overlook at the Dental Clinic has an exploding barrel directly under your feet and the several times I've tried mounting an attack from that vantage point the mercs are pretty good at spraying bullets all over your position and randomly hitting it.

There's also a nice stealth path to enter the Dental Clinic grounds that places you just above and behind the tower (Dweller_Benthos' maps show it) that dog legs in from the north that you can get to by following the train tracks west out of Selao. While it's marked as a road on the maps, if memory serves me correctly, it's more of an unmarked goat track as it cuts up over the hillside and can be a bit tough to spot the first couple times you try going in that way.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Nice one, PZ :)

And yeah, there are four paths leading in. I Like to wait at the crossing next to the bridge until both ATP have arrived and are finished off, then take out the GP to the east of the crossing, then go in from the eastern road towards the sniper. Or, the goat track approach, using molotovs and flammables to devastate the compound :) The Underground HideOut (FO3, lol) to the west is good if you want to drain the place (attract mercs to come and get you). Always fun, at least for the immense burning factor  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: mandru on November 18, 2009, 10:43:38 AM
... A large part of why I enjoy this site so much is that I keep bumping into other ways of approaching common obstacles that jolt me out of the ruts that I tend to employ overcoming them.

My thoughts exactly - as I was approaching the mission initially, my first instinct was to head toward my usual entry point - then decided to go this route.  I completely forgot about the other entrance you were talking about - thanks for the reminders!

One other thing that these posts keep reminding me - I'd encourage everyone to post thoughts and experiences even if they have been posted before - you never know if the person reading has been able to sift through all the posts that we have stretching back to the beginning of OWG.

fragger

Quote from: PZ on November 18, 2009, 11:33:13 AM
One other thing that these posts keep reminding me - I'd encourage everyone to post thoughts and experiences even if they have been posted before - you never know if the person reading has been able to sift through all the posts that we have stretching back to the beginning of OWG.

Too right, nobody's got that much spare time ;D

Funny, I was playing that very mission from Frank last night myself - only I went in via the NE goat track. Darted the sniper first, snuck into his tower, M-79'd most of the mercs with a few Molotovs thrown in for good measure, took out a couple of stragglers with the MP5 then smashed up the radio. Didn't take a single hit! Great fun. :-X

I love what Frank says when he details the mission for you: "Someone's trying to sully my good name, the f***ing nerve!" Like he has a good name to sully ;D

PZ

Quote from: fragger on November 18, 2009, 11:56:05 PM
...I love what Frank says when he details the mission for you: "Someone's trying to sully my good name, the f***ing nerve!" Like he has a good name to sully ;D

rofl!   :-X :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳