Auto load console commands?

Started by sgatke, November 16, 2009, 03:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgatke

Hello all,

I am new at this forum but have tried searching for an answer to my question with no luck.

I just got a new computer running Windows 7 (64-bit). Far Cry 2 runs pretty good on DX10 except when I am driving. When driving, the graphics kind of stutters or lags a little bit, which is very annoying.
I tried Googe and found a couple of console commands I can run. One of them is to cap the framerate at 35 (something like gfx_maxfps 35). However, it is annoying to have to write that every time I start the game.
Is there any way that I can tell the game to auto load a series of console commands? I am aware of the 'exec' command, but I would very much like to just click the shortcut for the game, and then have the commands loaded by default.

Is this possible with Far Cry 2?

Thanx
/Simon

PZ

That's a good question Simon,

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but I suspect not.  Our resident cheats expert, Art Blade is sure to reply with something more useful.

In any case, welcome to OWG!  :-X

Art Blade

Hello and welcome to OWG, Simon :)

Good question indeed, almost made PZ even forget to say "hello" LOL  ;D

I am not sure what the origin of your problem is nor what kind of command you have in mind. If I were you, I'd try to add the console command to the properties of the desktop shortcut, same as command line parameters (see the cheats post). With a bit of luck, it might w@&k. Like "HD:\path\FC2.exe" -command

You know, I too keep telling the game to perform a cleanup to remove stutter. The console command is "evict_resources" (just type "e" and hit the tab key for auto-completion, then hit enter).

I was never happy with how little I found out about exec "batch" and the stuff I found was basically useless.

I think you're experimenting problems due to a combination of three facts: 1) New OS, 2) driver compatibility? 3) (new) 64-bit OS. Probably a matter of time until the drivers get sorted, and with some luck, a FC2 patch might surface :)

I'm just glad that at least you know how to handle the problem using the console, and I think it is far better than having no solution at all ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Here's some FC2 command line stuff:

http://hawkeye.jnana.de/Far+Cry+2+Command+Line

But I think what the OP wants is something like what's described here:

http://hawkeye.jnana.de/Far+Cry+2+Cheats

e.g., open GamerProfile.xml and add the needed commands in the right places. I don't have the game installed on this machine so I can't check right now. More info might help from here:

http://hawkeye.jnana.de/Far+Cry+2+Configuration+Files

Ooops, reading the page I'm actually linking to, looks like the command line would be something like:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2\bin\FarCry2.exe" -RenderProfile_MaxFps 30
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

Instead of capping frame rates could it be something as simple as going into the menu graphics options and turning off anti-aliasing.

Somewhere something I read about the game before I loaded it online suggested that I turn it off and have never missed it and it allows me to let my graphics card to run at the highest possible frame rate for as smooth an image as possible while playing.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Indeed. Same goes for AF. I never use AA nor AF, because those are the biggest performance killers :)

You should consider tweaking that in your vid driver setup.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

For what it's worth, I've heard that FC2 and DX10 don't get along very well, and the most common "fix" for this problem seems to be reinstalling DX9. Lousy solution, I know. You shouldn't have to downgrade your DX just to run one game.

I guess you could try the solutions posted here, starting with simply tweaking your graphics options as mandru and Art have suggested, and if all else fails, either live with the console command or, as a very, very last resort, reinstall DX9 (shudder). Or just keep an eye out for a patch, since Win7 is so new, Ubi or some 3rd party might address this.

Just curious sgatke, are you running any other games, and if so, any like probs with them?

Btw, welcome to OWG, hope you enjoy the forums :)

mandru

heh heh,

sgatke you said it was a new computer and if you're anything like me, well...  :P

When I got my new computer I tried to load a bundled copy of Halo2 (came with vista ultimate I think) which gave me a big scare by locking my system up so bad that (Control > ALT > Delete) wouldn't pop up the Task manager to interrupt and shut Halo2 down. I had to hard crash my comp by holding the power button until it shut off and then upon restarting I uninstalled Halo2 and have been using the CD as a coaster for my beverages while I'm on the computer ever since.

FC2 was bundled with the graphics card I selected for my system build so I loaded that. I have about 20 old games, some that I really liked, (Tone Rebellion, All halfLife series up to episode 1, etc...) but I've been hooked and not gotten past my explorations and enjoyment of FC2.

I haven't bothered to load any of the old ones.

Good luck, I do hope you're able to get the graphics sorted out sgatke.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

sgatke

Hey all

Thank you very much for your warm welcome and you suggestions for fixing the issues.
I will definitely try a few of them during the weekend. Unfortunately, real life has catched up to me at the moment, so there is  no time for games during the week right now - that sucks :)

One of you suggested reinstalling DX9. I don't think that is necessary. In the config, I think I can select between DX9 and DX10.

Another suggested turning off AA. This I am seriously considering because I am not recognizing any big difference.

But first, I will try running the console commands as a parameter. That might do the trick.

This seems like a very friendly forum. I am glad I found it and hope to find lots of tips. To be honest, I am more into simulators like rFactor or Race 07 or even strategy games like C&C, Company of Heroes or World in Conflict. But I do enjoy games like Far Cry 2. Unfortunately I am not very good at them :-)
However, I have been bitten by the FC2 bug. Right now I am at 60+% and I am confident I will complete this game.
Before FC2, I played Crysis which I thought was quite good. But I just got turned off with the aliens and especially the "weightless" level inside the spaceship just made me lose my interest in that game...

Thank you again for all your advice.

/Simon

PZ

Quote from: sgatke on November 20, 2009, 01:56:42 AM
... To be honest, I am more into simulators like rFactor or Race 07 or even strategy games like C&C, Company of Heroes or World in Conflict. But I do enjoy games like Far Cry 2. Unfortunately I am not very good at them :-)
However, I have been bitten by the FC2 bug. Right now I am at 60+% and I am confident I will complete this game.
Before FC2, I played Crysis which I thought was quite good. But I just got turned off with the aliens and especially the "weightless" level inside the spaceship just made me lose my interest in that game...

I'm not familiar with the games that you've mentioned, but the titles are intriguing.  If you'd care to post your experiences with them, don't hesitate to start a new thread in the Other games board - we always enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

Art Blade

hey sgatke, thanks for your kind words :) Stick with us if you like, you'll find LOADS of informations and tips and tricks and stories, as well as a variety of games. Like PZ mentioned, the "other games" board is open for any kind of game, just start a topic and who knows, I guess there will be a couple of our members "suddenly" remembering having played this or that game too, also sometimes they get inspired to start playing something suggested by other members. Go on, start a few topics and tell us about the games you like :)

And indeed, usually no question goes unanswered, on the contrary, usually you'll get almost immediate replies. And don't worry about asking, mate :) We encourage everyone to ask questions, even if they have been asked before.  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳