Playing FO3 as an FPS

Started by PZ, November 07, 2009, 02:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here are a few mods that evidently are supposed to convert the game play of FO3 into a more traditional FPS-style game:

• Combat overhaul - Makes you hit, what you aim at (instead of shooting all over the place), not depending on your characters skill, but rather "you" as a player.
    Removing V.A.T.S. completely from the game, thus making FO3 behave more like a true FPS.
    Increased damage of ALL weapons AND increase damage-per-level.
  • Destruction v6.1 - Creates a destructible enviromnent - In a nut shell this is what this mod does, it essentially gives objects a health value. As you shoot the object and it reaches a certain health percentage it will change its looks, explode, or even both. This will help in creating a destroyable environment.
  • Grenade hotkey - the grenade throw hotkey you will be able to throw any type of grenade without having to equip them. A seperate hotkey allows you to toggle through the grenade type you are throwing without having to go into the inventory

The site is an excellent one for FO3 mods of all type.

Art Blade

hehe, you do like total conversions, don't you  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I do like to play - especially since I am mainly an FPS fan!  There is another compilation package (189 mb) that is called FO3 wanderer - sounds interesting as well as another one that lets you re-spawn foes.  :-X

PZ

I'ts cool to have a grenade hotkey = the default is the "G" key and "H" cycles through your grenade types.  When you hold the "G" key, you automatically shoulder your main weapon and equip the grenade - when you release the "G" key, you throw it and automatically re-equip your main weapon.

Art Blade

you won't need to be quick about grenades when you have the two guns from my ArtMod -- and the scoped pistol already works FPS-like when using the scope  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

I like the idea of the "Combat Overhaul" mod, as ive had trouble using the sniper rifles effectively, even with VATS. Some weapons, like the .44 Magnum dont have enough punch imho. Now my question. I followed the link, but i see no D/L link there. Do you have to register to D/L ? Also, will any of these mods screw up a current save game?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Using Arts mod, the scoped .44 is great - VATS works superbly and even the largest of the foes I've encountered so far (the Bubba-type hillbillys in one of the DLC) fall to the mighty pistol.

I'm not sure if you need to register to do the downloading - I registered anyway just to see all that is available - probably worth it because there are hundreds of mods - everything from prostitution to  complete re-dos.

As far as saved games, I've not encountered a mod that significantly impacts my saved games.

Art Blade

mods you add to your game don't interfere with older savegames. Only vice versa. If you use stuff from a mod and remove the mod, the savegames can no longer "keep" that stuff, hence the warning if you load a savegame made while using a now non-existent mod. You still can use a savegame after removing a mod, but it will cause you to lose for example the pistol you were holding in your hand, rendering you half naked ;)

Then again, combining mods may cause problems. Imagine the stuff in the game was like a shelf in a supermarket. A mod rearranges parts of the shelf, say replace soda with beer. Now you grab the beer, and save. Remove the mod, and you won't have anything in your hand, but can get soda again. Now add another mod on top of the beer mod. That mod adds burgers to the shelf, shifting the soda to the right. Now the beer mod that came first replaced soda with beer, but burger mod shifts beer to the right... now you don't have anything in your hand and if you grab for beer, you get a burger. If you don't have a list of the items, you'll never find the beer again. Something to that effect may happen if you combine mods. That is why I recommend paying attention to the readmes, and perhaps use the trick I mentioned earlier about the file date of a mod, like the order in which mods are being loaded by the game has a significant effect to the content of other mods, changing the order may result in either a working co-existence or a new mess ;)

PZ, glad you like the pistol :)

Ricamundo

OK, ive registered and D/Led the mod, but the readme has no installation instructions. Where do i unrar it to, just the Fallout 3 folder, or something inside that?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

Ricamundo

Thx Art, i suspected that would be it, but i wanted to be sure. man this game is fun. 8) I might have a go with some other mods later on.  ;)

Art Blade

you guys actually make me think about getting one or three of those mods PZ recommended, too.  :)

PZ

If you like F03, you won't regret it - the .50 sniper mod (the one that you'll find on the ground outside Vault 101) is the best - accuracy is way improved and hit damage is awesome.

Now I can't wait to find a companion to share my hideout with  :-X

Ricamundo

Quote from: PZ on November 09, 2009, 02:47:57 PM
If you like F03, you won't regret it - the .50 sniper mod (the one that you'll find on the ground outside Vault 101) is the best - accuracy is way improved and hit damage is awesome.

I have to agree with that. way better than even the Victory rifle, which i've been using for a while.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on November 09, 2009, 02:47:57 PM

Find Charon, already  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

;D

well, then, keep movin'  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳