Hooked on FO3

Started by Ricamundo, October 23, 2009, 04:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

yeah, a good RPG combined with elements of a FPS is worth something, isn't it :) I spent at least 100 hours playing FO3  ;D

I know it is early, but I think you should take a look at Mass Effect sometimes (Sci-Fi, ok, but again, Role Playing + Shooter) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Knights of the Old Republic is an ace RPG, there is a droid you can get called HK47, he was an assassin, just listening to him talk is worth buying the game for.

I dont like the Star Wars movies, but I loved this game, you can pause the action if its getting a bit hectic, issue your commands, unpause and let rip.

It's pretty similar to Mass Effect as they use similar artwork, I reckon its a better game personally, but they are both top notch.

Welcome to the world of RP mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Thanks for the tips guys - on an FO3 note, do you know how to sell things?  I'm so bogged down with items that I've found, I can't run any more.

deadman1

Go to a vendor in Megaton for instance (craterside supply) and talk to the owner. One of the chatalternaives should be "Let me seee what you have" or something like that. You will be presented with a 2 sided list with your stuff on the left, just klick on the stuff you want to sell and them accept the deal. It´s the same for buying stuff only reverse  :)

Art Blade

or dump it somewhere, travel home, dump most of what you got, then get back and collect your leftovers, hehe... I kept bringing stuff home every once in a while, oh and I abused the bin at the ladies' washing room in Megaton as a container LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Too bad Simms is dead. Because i did a task for him i got a nice reward. I actually killed that shady character in the bar to protect Simm's back.

I have a question for you FO3 vets. is there a flashlight in the game? Because i could sure use one.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

I think there is... easiest way to find out is check your controller setup (keymapping) - many games I know have more functions than are bound to keys, rendering them useless until you actively bind them  :)

Fiach

yes the Pipboy has a flashlight function.

PZ

Well, I've managed to play a few hours and like the role playing as a change of pace from the shooters.  In fact, I was lamenting the fact that FC2 did not have some of the role playing aspects coded into it.

Traveling the waste land is quite an adventure - the super mutants you meet often carry super weapons that really come in handy at times.  Kind of funny - I once beat a super mutant with a mini-gun into submission with a tire iron.  The raiders are punk kids with outlandish attitudes, and I must admit a great sense of satisfaction off-ing them and taking all of their belongings, including their clothes.  They look rather funny lying on the ground in nothing but their undies.

I did not realize that the old junk cars would explode with mini mushroom clouds - will need to play with that for a while.  One interesting aspect is that if you find a place where there are significant foes, there will likely be something to pick up - search around and you can find some real gems.

I'm currently in the Super-mart grocery store and have managed to kill all of the punk kids infesting the store.  Have picked up all of their body armor, weapons and such, but am now too heavy to run - oh well, dump some of the things for now.  I still have a mission to deliver a note from Lucy to her family in another town, but when I went there, her parents had been murdered.  I found out from the local sheriff that her brother Ian was still alive, but I have no idea where to find him - that quest is on hold for a while.

All summed up, I like the game quite a bit, especially the waste land aspect of it.  I enjoy the post-apocalyptic environment where I can see old cars, lots of rust, old billboards, etc.  Good game, one of the better ones I've played in a while.

After playing with this one, I sure would like a version of something like this with the FC2 world and it's characters.  :-X

Art Blade

One of my favourite pastimes was to blow up cars and bikes, especially at night (better light show). They tend to chain-reactions, so be careful and have fun blowing up entire streets with one shot  ;D

Oh PZ, there are cheats out there for FO3, you can carry as much as you want...

PZ

lol, I completely forgot about the cheats and trainers - thanks for the reminder (man I'm getting old...)  :D

Art Blade

Fiach

That girls letter, if you look near where her parents lived there should be a metro station.

No Spoilers here.

One of the guys in the village should have some quest IIRC about livestock being killed, so that is important here.

Go to the metro and you should see a couple of zombie drug dealers, they will give you a quest if you want it. In an office at the back, there should be a manhole where you can explore.

Anyway, you need to find a bunch of people holed up in the underground metro area, I think there maybe some traps on the way so keep an eye on the ground.

When you meet the people and talk to their leader you can progress the story from there.

It depends on your skillset, I had high hacking skill, so I did some hacking, its basically down to playstyle how you handle this area really.

I havent looked at the cheats section, but I would make an observation about FO3, its a VERY easy game and IMO, you should explore it witout cheats, I would suggest if you want to use cheats/trainers, start a new game file and use that, and keep a "straight" save file for the game proper. Just my opinion, but its a well balanced game, with some awesome content, that maybe diluted if you dont play it as the dev's intended.

Ricamundo

Glad you're enjoying the game PZ. It's fun isn't it? ;D About the girl'd brother, look in the subway station in that area.

When you get weighted down with stuff, quick travel to Megaton, and sell it to the chatterbox in Craterside Supply. She can also sell you stuff, and repair some of your weapons/ammo. You can also repair your stuff yourself, if you have at least 1 duplicate of the thing you want to repair.

one more thing, while you're in the Super Mart, take note of the supply of rare Nuka Cola Quantum, because there's a quest to collect 30 bottles of the stuff. if you find some, don't drink it, save it.

I still see no flashlight anywhere in my Pipboy, or in keyboard mapping, dang it. :-\
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Fiach

Thats weird, think it was B on the 360, try holding TAB.

PZ

Thanks for the tips - spoilers welcome whenever you want to do so!  ;)

Good idea about the different saves - will do so.  I'm usually the impatient sort so I tend to miss much in the games I play - that's probably why I need to play through several times  ;D

Art Blade

hehehehehe  ;D nice

Fiach

No spoilers for FO3 mate, half the enjoyment of that game is wondering wth is going to happen next, as you are exploring, there are some really bizarre encounters :)

BTW, there is an enemy called Mirkluls or something lke that, shoot them in the Eye when its uncovered, save you a lot of grief, there, thats a handy spoiler for ya :)

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on October 26, 2009, 09:13:11 AM
One of my favourite pastimes was to blow up cars and bikes, especially at night (better light show)

[smg id=1665 align=center width=400]

;D ;D ;D

Ricamundo

Hehe, i should remember to shoot the car beside the damn Mute, instead of the Mute. More fun, er as long as im well back. 8)

Art Blade

those mutes can't tell you to stop it, anyway, can they :)

PZ

Speaking of cars and bikes - has anyone managed to ride the bike?

(great screenie by the way)

Art Blade

Never tried to, not going to install that mod.

(cheers :) )

Ricamundo

I looked at the video, and i'll pass.It looks kinda corny. Perhaps the kids out there will like it.

PZ

I just had to post this quote out of the introductory documentation in the FO3 manual because it accurately describes the spirit of the game.

...Now, here's the good news.  When that giant vault door slides open and you're thrust into the harsh sunlight of the Capital Wasteland, you're completely free to make your own destiny.  Follow after dear old Dad... or forget he even exists.  Head straight into the ramshackle town of Megaton, and meet its eclectic inhabitants... or shoot first and exchange pleasantries later.

That's really the most important thing to remember about Fallout 3 - it's your game, so play it the way you want.  There is no "right" way to play.  There are many paths to success, and yes, the game does eventually "end".  But how it ends is up to you, and the character you play.

Doesn't that embody the spirit of open world games?

Tags:
🡱 🡳