SimCity Societies

Started by PZ, October 21, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Has anyone had any experience with this game?  Looks kind of like a cross between The Sims and SimCity4

Art Blade

Although I know the original SimCity (and SimCity2000) as well as the original "Sims" game, all I ever added to that was "SimTower" and "SimCopter" :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

As goofy as it was, I really liked SimCopter - especially the sound effects (city sounds) and music track.  I was disappointed that Maxis decided to abandon further development.

fragger

I read once where SimCopter was dropped, and the product recalled, because a disgruntled gay employee inserted something rather naughty into the game. I never played it, but the story goes that if you played all the way through and completed the last mission, instead of seeing a celebratory final scene, you were treated to a display of a naked, gay male couple having their own celebratory scene. Apparently the employee concerned did this to draw attention to the lack of gay characters in computer games.

Needless to say he was asked to seek employment elsewhere, and it probably didn't look very good on his CV.

I don't know whether this is just an urban myth of some kind, but I'm not inclined to investigate it for myself. If it's true, I'll just take their word for it...

PZ

lol, that is a funny story fragger - I've never completed the game so I cannot confirm anything.  Like I mentioned, I did like the ambiance in the game, and the ability to fly your copter in your SimCities.

Art Blade

haha, never completed it either, because the "game" was so utter crap. The only good thing about it was the fact that you could load cities into the game that you had previously built with SimCity. So, for the first time, you were able to see your old cities in a pseudo-3D environment, and it was cool to fly through them. Made you feel like "I'm the patron of this city, this is my city down there"  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

B33 ENN

I avoided getting SimCity 4, at the silly deal price over the Steam Holiday sale just gone, because it's just too old now and I already played the old ones back in the day. I don't get why Societies/Destinations isn't on Steam, but could say the same about many other games that should be but aren't...

Anyway, I bagged a truckload of good RTS and strategy games in the sale, but I'm currently on Tropico 3, which is very SimCity in concept but adds it's own tongue-in-cheek spin on being your own favourite Castro-esque dictator!

It's funny and entertaining, but also quite sphisticated and deep so far... and worth a look if you haven't seen it.
"Do your mother a favour, buy a Lance & Ferman Military Laser."

Art Blade

I used to play the original Tropico a lot, but it tended to crash often. If you ignore that fact, it was a great game  :)

fragger

Can't say I ever heard of that one... There was yet another SimCity-style game years ago which I used to enjoy that was set during the Roman Empire where you did all the same sorts of things you do in SimCity, only with Roman stuff, natch. If your attempt at city building went belly-up, Caesar would come and kick your toga-clad behind. I can't remember the title - Rome something-or-other - but it was quite fun and challenging.

B33 ENN

Quote from: fragger on January 04, 2011, 11:49:29 AM
Can't say I ever heard of that one... There was yet another SimCity-style game years ago which I used to enjoy that was set during the Roman Empire where you did all the same sorts of things you do in SimCity, only with Roman stuff, natch. If your attempt at city building went belly-up, Caesar would come and kick your toga-clad behind. I can't remember the title - Rome something-or-other - but it was quite fun and challenging.

:) If it's the one I think you mean it is made by the same people that developed Tropico 3:

Imperium Romanum Gold Edition

I don't have that but have their later RTS Grand Ages: Rome series.  :-X
"Do your mother a favour, buy a Lance & Ferman Military Laser."

Tags:
🡱 🡳