Points where you should save!

Started by spearhead_22, March 26, 2009, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spearhead_22

There are a few things in FC2 which may not go right the first time you try it. For example, making a jump from one rock to another in Leboa Sako near the Fort, to reach to the Diamond Briefcase on the other side.

So, here are a few points where you should save the game before making an attempt to do the following actions so that if you fail the first time, you can immediately load back to the save point and try again.

1. Quick save the game before you attempt to fly a Hang Glider.
** It is suggested that you try flying hang gliders at night to reach a few diamond briefcases which have enemy patrols nearby so that you don't get detected and fired upon.

2. Save before you attempt to jump from the railing of the big fuel tower in PetroSahel on to the Railway carriage to get to the diamond briefcase.

3. Save before you attempt to jump from one rock to the other near the Fort in Leboa Sako to reach on the other side for the diamond briefcase.

4. Save the game as soon as you get a call for assistance from your buddy after every main mission is completed. If you take too long to reach him/her after the completion of the main mission, chances are your buddy would die if wounded badly. Even 3 shots of morphine won't revive him/her.

5. Save the game before attempting to drive your vehicle off the road and take a short-cut diversion, through rough terrain (filled with rocks) or bumpy grounds, to your desired destination, in case your vehicle gets stuck amongst the rocks in the middle of nowhere. You wouldn't want to make the rest of the way on foot now, would you?

If there are any other points worth mentioning, please feel free to share them here.
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Dweller_Benthos

I hit the quick save button about every 5-10 minutes just to be sure. But there have been times when I'm really into the game and forget, then I have to go back because I messed something up.

Is there even a quick save option on the console versions? Or can you only save at a safe house or other save point? That would suck.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

No quick saves on consoles, but actually I like it (I have no choice anyways) but here is my reasoning.  It takes the immersion level a bit deeper in that you know you have to make it back to a safe house, gun shop, or bus stop in order to save your progress.  Of course you have the save option too after a mission is completed.

It makes planning even more important I guess.  It's been quite a nerve racking time (but fun) to be out of syrettes and trudging back to a safe house avoiding AI.  It really isn't a problem as typically you can make it around without dying and find syrettes at guard posts.  But if you're down on syrettes and encounter a more nastier roadside attack it really feels like life or death if you haven't saved too recently.

All in all, I hardly have found the need to repeat too much but I'm playing on Normal...

Lastly I'm not a diamond hunter in the fact that I try to get all the hard to reach ones and maybe the lack of quicksave is part of the reason - I don't want to risk my life for a couple of "rocks".
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

retiredgord

I agree with spaceboy on the saving with consoles 100%.  When you are in a nasty area knowing an "itenary" of sorts allows you to  be flexible in achieving your mission.  It's only with saves at nearby safehouses that all the diamonds have been retreived.  Let no stone go uncollected. Also the glider from Gorka Falls I found easier in the daytime as I could see the landmarks better..third try.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Roaven

About the buddies, i think they only permanently go down after being wounded thrice.

Cyran

Even on PC I try to avoid using the quicksave most of the time, it makes things more interesting.

I DO use quicksave before using a glider or making one of the dangerous jump though.

Otherwise I try to save only a regular console save points. You have a buddy to rescue you anyway if you screw up, and it becomes an interesting feature when you restrict  yourself to "official" save points. Before doing that I always reloaded when I died, before getting rescued, and I was thus missing a part of the game.

mir24

I admit that in the beginning, I was quick-saving like an addict on speed with his finger glued to the F5 key!

I was totally obsessed with maintaining a 100% accuracy ratio. The highest I went up to was 134% after shooting THREE mercs with ONE headshot from the Dragunov. That took a lot of patience and split-second timing! Hahahah!

Now, I find it more interesting to quick-save ONLY before I enter a new area. If I die, then I reload but not before.

The next step is to ONLY save at Safehouses (or Save-houses as I like to call 'em). Ultimately, I'd like to try a Perma-Death play-thru. But to keep things balanced, I'll do it on Hardcore and not Insane.

(I reckon Hardcore is where the damage I deal out to enemies is the same they deal out to me; as opposed to Normal, where I can wade through a city like Arnie on steroids without any meds; or Insane, where I skulk more than I walk)

fragger

Hardcore is my fave difficulty level - tough enough to make you plan your moves and to be challenging, but "easy" enough to give you a fighting chance when things go pear-shaped.

One still has to be mindful of those .50-cal ATs though...

Just a question, mir24 - you refer to the highest difficulty setting as "Insane". Is this what appears on your menu, or is it your own word for it? Because the same option in my game is "Infamous". Just curious :)

mir24

Quote from: fragger on May 31, 2010, 07:59:18 AM
Hardcore is my fave difficulty level - tough enough to make you plan your moves and to be challenging, but "easy" enough to give you a fighting chance when things go pear-shaped.

Just a question, mir24 - you refer to the highest difficulty setting as "Insane". Is this what appears on your menu, or is it your own word for it? Because the same option in my game is "Infamous". Just curious :)

Doh! "Infamous" it is... Got that confused...  :-[

But!

It is insane playing on "Infamous" to me, hence my description of it being "Insane"!

deadman1

Quote from: mir24 on May 31, 2010, 08:10:00 PM
Quote from: fragger on May 31, 2010, 07:59:18 AM

Doh! "Infamous" it is... Got that confused...  :-[

But!

It is insane playing on "Infamous" to me, hence my description of it being "Insane"!

I must agree, "Infamous" should really be called "Insane"  ;)

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mir24

mir24 motions for "Infamous" diffculty to be renamed "Insane".

All in favour, say "Aye!"

*chorus of Aye's from the background*

PZ

"Aye" - I'd be insane to try that level with my gaming skills!  ;D

TopHat01

I tried the Infamous difficulty once and personally, the challenging part was the extremely limited number of resources you can hold, combined with the aimbot-like enemy AI added up to numerous deaths and frustration, so I just stick to the normal difficulty settings.  Perhaps I'll try a play through on hardcore soon.

JRD

I find Hardcore to be the best combination of limited resources and skillful AI. Even playing on Hardcore I rarely run out of syrettes or ammo (including grenades) apart from the dart gun, which adds a bit of management requirement to the gameplay.  :-X

I tried Infamous (Insane - Aye!  ;D ) once and it was too frustrating for me, so since then I stick with Hardcore on my playthrough!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳