Main mission sequence

Started by fragger, October 20, 2009, 03:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I started a new game, this time playing as Josep. Since he was my avatar for a while, I thought this time I'd actually be him. The very first main mission I drew for him was the one from Kouassi to go and top the police chief. I've never drawn this mission straight off the bat before, so here's the question - is the order of main missions random, at least in the early stages of the game, or does your choice of character influence it at all? I've never really taken notice of this before, but I do know I've never gotten this mission first up.

My other question is this: I do believe this is the 1000th topic to be posted, so what did I win? ;D

PS. And no, I didn't post this just so I could say that, I did scan through the existing question topics for an answer first. There may well be one, but OMG, there's a lot to scan through!

mandru

The first mission from Kouassi is always "Bam! assassination" so depending which faction you start running missions for, when it comes to knocking off the Police chief, it can be any where from your first to fourth faction mission.

I've drawn a total blank on Kouassi's second mission but I know the third he gives runs you into Scrap Salvage to blow up the compressor.

Gakumba's first mission is to stop the special forces team coming in to kill an APR official and we get to hear one of my favorite lines from his lieutenant "I wish you were rich! Then we could get some woo-boy good stuff.

I tend to do the three missions for each faction before going to the other but if you alternate the faction missions, try to do an every other switch up, you will be scolded by the faction leaders for disloyalty which is an interesting scripting variant.

And another way to upset the faction leaders is when the opportunity presents itself grab the briefing folder before they are done talking to you. if you are on PC you can save just before entering faction headquarters to receive a mission so you can play it over a couple times to enjoy the nuances of their irritation.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Congratulations, fragger, on starting our 1,000th topic on OWG :)

Congratulations, mandru, on making senior  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

Welcome, and please check you private messages, mate  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TopHat01

Missions have a specific order, for the faction they are from.  (EG You'll never go to the salvage yard and blow up the air compressors before you kill the chief of police.   The order in which you switch between them (UFLL & APR) is up to you.

Are the Underground missions (for medication) randomized?  I rarely do them, so I could never remember if the first one I do is similar to the first I did in a separate save.

EDIT: And is there any significant difference between Senior member, and regular member?  (Congratulations to mandru for achieving the title, though.)

Art Blade

Yes, senior members have more privileges, for example they may use custom avatars or have their own gallery folder.

mandru

Quote from: TopHat01 on October 20, 2009, 04:01:24 PM

... is there any significant difference between Senior member, and regular member?

Yeah, what Art said just above and the condition that if we break paper training instead of being scolded, the way an OWG Fan or Merc would, we get our noses rubbed in it and slapped with a rolled up news paper.    :-\

Oh, but the access to the Senior Lounge with the Go-Go Girls is pretty cool.  :-X
- mandru

TopHat01

Quote from: mandru on October 20, 2009, 06:37:38 PM
Oh, but the access to the Senior Lounge with the Go-Go Girls is pretty cool.  :-X

Haha, now I'm jealous!  ;D

fragger

@mandru and TopHat01, cheers for the mission info, guys! :-X Much appreesh!

Quote from: mandru on October 20, 2009, 06:37:38 PM
Except for the strip-search before entering :o

mandru

Quote from: fragger on October 21, 2009, 02:12:41 AM

Except for the strip-search before entering :o

If the girls want to get in to w@&k it's just something they'll need to put up with.  ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

glad you didn't tell him about our personal nurses.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on October 21, 2009, 09:28:58 AM
glad you didn't tell him about our personal nurses.

shhhhhhh...................    ??? :P :-X
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

TheStranger

Quote from: mandru  on October 20, 2009, 06:07:09 AM
I tend to do the three missions for each faction before going to the other but if you alternate the faction missions, try to do an every other switch up, you will be scolded by the faction leaders for disloyalty which is an interesting scripting variant.

That's interesting. I wanted to open a new thread, because I was doing the first UFLL mission and then did the first APR mission. When I finished it and came back to Pala there was no exclamation mark on the UFLL HQs anymore, so I thought it was the mission glitch bug. So there's no way to finish the remaining UFLL missions, right? I mean not a big deal because I have many savegames to roll back and did only the first APR mission - problem is I want to do all missions ;) Hmm very interesting always thought that it makes no difference  in which you do the missions. Btw. I'm playing with patch 1.2. and the fortunes pack to prevent the Jackal tapes glitch.

edit: Ah ok that makes sense because, nonethelesse which missions you did before, you'll end up with the Goka Falls mission from APR. Nice, but I didn't know that - Far Cry 2 is full of surprises.

PZ

Quote from: TheStranger on May 19, 2011, 02:34:25 AM
... Ah ok that makes sense because, nonethelesse which missions you did before, you'll end up with the Goka Falls mission from APR. Nice, but I didn't know that - Far Cry 2 is full of surprises.

Yes, and you'll either be instructed to kill Kouassi or Gakumba, depending on which mission line you chose to take.  One of those two will be at the lodge.  You'll find a similar approach in the second half of the game where different lines are taken depending on which faction you choose to w@&k for at certain times.

TheStranger

Hmm but how can you kill Kouassi at Goka Falls? Must be a UFLL mission and there is no such mission? I always thought that it's linear from this point (i.e. when you take the first APR mission) - first you kill Gakumba then Vorhees sends you to kill Kouassi. How can you do that the other way?

edit: Strange, even in walkthroughs there is no Kouassi mission at Goka Falls.

PZ

Unfortunately I can't recall the sequence of missions that leads to a particular outcome, but when Gakumba is at Goka Falls, then you'll be assassinating Kouassi at the troop rally.  If Kouassi is at Goka Falls, then you'll be sent to kill Gakumba at the troop rally.

Maybe another member will remember which faction mission(s) to start or end with to generate a particular outcome?

TheStranger

Ahh i found the longest walkthrough ever for Far Cry 2, everything is written down and I found a part belonging to my question:

QuoteThe Power Struggle                   

As you may know, a power struggle has 
sprouted between the two leading       
factions. Believe it or not, you can   
determine the outcome of this battle.                                       
Each faction has 3 missions available 
or you, and each mission can be       
performed in two different ways,       
namely the mission the faction gives   
you, or an alternate mission given by
your buddy. Each of these missions     
are an advantage to one of the         
factions. The score is written down   on an invisible scoreboard, which     
eventually creates 1 winner.         

For a long time, I've been a handling an easy method to predict the outcome
of the power struggle (credits to James for finding this out). However, the
last few months I've been getting more and more people saying that it
didn't w@&k for them. I'll be looking for the right method in the future,
and I'll conduct more experiments to aid me. For now, take the current
method with a grain of salt.

As far as I know, the score is         
accumulated as follows: If you perform
all or none of the buddy missions, UFLL
UFLL wins by default. The same goes if
you perform the buddy missions from   
UFLL ONLY. If, however, you only per- 
form the buddy missions from the APR, 
they win. If you complete buddy mis-   
sions in any other way (i.e. missions 
from both factions, but not all of     
them), UFLL wins as well. In a nut-   
shell, the UFLL always wins unless you
perform all of the missions from the   
APR and none of the buddy missions fromthe UFLL.                             

Credits for finding this scorecount   go entirely to James.                 

Here is the complete guide: http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=187710&rid=174381

JRD

To be honest, I just go there, kill the man and go after a beer...  :-D

I never recall which chap belongs to which faction and who gave me that mission.  :-[

All characters seem a bit blend to me, they talk the same way, dress the same way, look very much the same way (besides skin color)... that`s a sad aspect in FC2: I never connect with characters. They definitely should learn with GTA series, AC2, JC2 and a few others how to make a character you learn to live with  :-(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

JRD makes a good point when you compare FC2 characters with ones that I've met in a game like AC2.  While Kouassi is a brash upstart that has an attitude, and Gakumba is more mature, neither is really all that memorable to me as well.

For me, it is not so much the character development in FC2, it is the multiple plays through that give me access to all the buddy side missions, and all the possible outcomes when it comes to the main missions.  However, I'm probably mistaken, but sometimes I think that I'm still encountering alternate pathways that I've not experienced before.  For instance, in the opening parts of the game where you run out of town - the direction determines which of the four camps you end up in - and that changes how I play the game.

fragger

Quote from: PZ on May 19, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
For instance, in the opening parts of the game where you run out of town - the direction determines which of the four camps you end up in - and that changes how I play the game.

Same here. On my current 'thru I exited Pala in a different direction than I ever had previously and found myself at the Slaughterhouse, which was a first for me, and it sort of coloured my whole approach to the subsequent proceedings.

That was an interesting commentary, Stranger :-X I must admit I've never really taken much notice of what happens when I do which missions for what faction, but I have noticed that there are consequences of some sort. Sometimes when both factions have missions available at the same time I'll simply go for the one that's closest to the particular side of town I'm in or am approaching.

I've topped both Kouassi and Gakumba at the Falls in different playthroughs, which then determines whether you meet up with Voorhees or Greaves in Sefapane, and so on.

I'm with JRD - I just bump off whoever is at Goka Falls at the time, then knock one back in celebration >:D

TheStranger

Before I read this guide I didn't know that you could escape to different directions in Pala and that would determine where you wake up. I always began to fire from the hotel, because I thought I would die if I ran through the firefight and so I died on the streets in front of the hotel. As I said Far Cry 2 is full of surprises :)

PZ

Sounds like you're going to experiment a bit yourself.  :-X

I've never made notes on what outcomes happened due to my actions, but sometimes I w@&k for only one side until their missions are exhausted and sometimes I deliberately alternate from side to side.  In any case, it is fun because it keeps the variety up even though I'm working the same overall missions.

Art Blade

The story line and along with it the characters never really convinced me. Therefore I have never really cared about who wins why and which results in what. There will always be the same locations with some bloke around to kill, and I'll kill whoever it is anyway.  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳