Custom Mission "Lone Snipers"

Started by gvse, October 18, 2009, 09:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvse

Hey Art,
I like the user-made mission "Lone Snipers" mentioned right here:
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389210&page=2
Couldn't finish it yet, but it involves bunker clearing as well as enemy assassination. Give it a go when you get a chance.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I was not able to install it, so I checked the creator's (Garden-X) forum link and there it was

QuoteInstalação:

O processo de instalação é relativamente simples, basta descompactar o conteùdo do arquivo na pasta missions, que fica localizada no seguinte caminho (no caso do Win7): C:\Program Files (x86)\Codemasters\OF Dragon Rising\data_win\missions.

Pronto, agora é só entrar no jogo, ir na opção single missions, procurar pelo grupo "extra missions" e selecionar a missão "Lone Snipers"... and have fun.

PS: Eu programei a missão para ser possível joga-la no modo Co-op Online com mais uma pessoa, fica ai a dica.

So you need to create a subfolder "missions" in "data_win", then copy "extra missions" into the new "missions" folder. Inside "extra missions" is the "lone sniper" mission folder.

The mission will then be available under "missions" (same as bonus and campaign missions)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Not bad, a team comprised of two snipers only... night mission, M21 rifle and MP5.

My fellow sniper isn't too bright when it comes to defending an area or assaulting a building...

At first there are two bunkers on top of hills, facing the compound downhill where you have to kill two generals. I've counted at least 16 soldiers guard the compound, and they leave to investigate if you are a little noisy with those bunkers...

I haven't finished it yet, either.

There were three funny situations, though.

I though it was cool to throw a grenade inside those small bunkers (more like a heavy-built stance the form of a toppled-over soup bowl). The first time I also placed a mine at the exit in case someone survived and wanted to escape, then I threw the grenade in. It went off and took the mine out at the same time. A little too much, perhaps. Inside that bunker I could see one man down and I checked, there was another man on the ground, jerking his legs, so I thought ha, where is my knife... but he died before I could slit his throat. Bunker cleared. Meanwhile my mate had the order to assault the other bunker. I heard him motivate himself ("go, go, go!") and then "CONTACT!" followed by heavy automatic weapon's shooting, I could see the muzzles flash through their window, watching from my bunker. He didn't make it, so reload.

Same routine, only this time I had him follow me and move to the left exit, I lobbed a grenade in through the right (no mine this time), and after the bang it was silent. I ordered him to assault that bunker (pitch black inside) and followed him in. I believe he didn't see the guy crouching under the window, first I thought it was him, only he doesn't start swearing in Chinese when he sees me, so I emptied half a clip into the guy in front of me. Followed by the comment "Building's clear !" right next to me. Cheers, mate  :D  ;D

I took out the guy in the other bunker some 230m away, I had gone prone and used my M21. "One guy to go," I thought and sent my man over. Heavy fire inside, and my man dead. Again. He can't even take out one man on his own, for frag's sake. I took out the bully of the bunker and tried to check the situation down at the compound, but I got killed by a scout unit. Reload... All on hardcore, I might add.  :)

gvse

Yeah, I take care of the bunkers myself cause my mate is useless at that. To be fair it's really not easy to eliminate those hiding inside. I did manage to take em out eventually but then I suck at completing the rest of the mission. I think the right approach is to eliminate them from afar and keep moving as you do so to avoid their gunfire. It's a tough mission.
man, you should check out multiplayer Infiltration mode as you will get plenty of tense moments there. It's miles better than FC2mp.

Art Blade

I'm not into MP, but thanks for the offer :)

Just now I died (again) after 32 kills in that mission. There were at least 4 more soldiers left. My man had died in a bunker again, hehe, and there are three enemies in bunker #2.

I survived 34 minutes, got shot (wounded) twice, and now they got me in a cqc... I should have retreated rather than having stayed in and around the house I had cleared.

Are you too playing the mission on hardcore?

gvse

Yep, hardcore it is. I almost did it this time!
Cleared the two bunkers with expertly tossed grenades, not a single shot fired, then took up sniper position in bunker2 and blew the oil barrels down by the houses killing some enemies and sniping some that survived (some retreat to the house: smart!). Next I proceeded to the isolated house at the foot of the hill and took out all the guys with my trusty mp5. Again stayed a bit there to snipe out some of the soldiers around the houses below, and afterwards we descended there to have some intense close quarters combat in and out of doors. When I decided to clear all the other houses it turned out that the squad that went out to check on the noise in the bunkers have returned and now we were outgunned. At that stage I decided to leg it and did the fancy jump over the fence thing while my mate was soaking lead. I turned back to see the second general decided to follow me and we simultaneously pulled the trigger killing each other at the same time!!! All but one objectives completed (which I think read something along the lines of "exfiltrate"). That's one cool mission!

Art Blade

Hahaha, nice read, and well done :)

I was close too, this time, I decided to skip the bunkers and walk down straight away, rounding the compound with my mate, killing loads of those troopers. Basically we suffered the from a surprise team that was loitering arond a corner... and finished us off quickly. Bah :)

The next attempt revealed an interesting opportunity. Started off horrendously and was doomed to fail anyway, but gave me an idea. It went as follows: We homed in on bunker #1, line in combat spread, and I put one enemy to the ground, waited for the other one to orchestrate a first aid show which I abused to take them both out. Then we went to bunker #2, same procedure, only this time the third guy kept hiding, and my mate went in without explicit orders. I went in too, two steps maybe, and what I saw was strange: one guy half sitting, half leaning under the window, facing me, and another guy with his back turned to me was giving first aid. My mate was in there, too but no sound. I thought maybe it was him administering first aid to the enemy, and that moment all hell broke loose, I took a shot in the gob and went down, heart thumping loud, vision mostly red, and guns were blazing, then silence. I tried, out of fun, if I could still call a medic, and I could! My mate resurrected me, lol!

Apparently I was watching a first aid moment of two enemies and the wounded one on the ground must have nearly killed me while he was given first aid. Crazy! My mate must have killed them instantly (he was in there ok) which the third guy realised but that made my man go wild then. Hahaha, what an episode of madness.

All that ruckus made most of the troops from down hill want to check out what it was, the map showed them like a bunch of grapes moving uphill.

Here is the idea... provoke that again, let them move up, but place two happy mines on the slope :) I want to see the stats then  ;D

Art Blade

Ha, caught a few with a mine, we snuck away a bit and watched them run up... many soldiers ran into the bunker, and we kept shooting them off the open doors  :D lol

Now this is my best sniping "so far"  ;D I managed to kill a soldier inside that house, he happened to catch my eye when he was standing behind the window. And he caught my full metal regards in the eye  ;D I did not move when taking those screenshots, the house is right in the middle of the first pic... the second shows the same view with binoculars. The red symbol in the middle is a laser to get the distance right, 659m  ;D

see Sniper Scopes and Sniping Techniques if you want to learn more.

[smg id=1562 align=center width=400]
[smg id=1563 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

OH BOY. Done! Both alive and kicking. Man, that was tough :) All three primary and secondary objectives completed, and still living! I didn't kill anyone with a mine though, but one knife kill  ;D My mate got wounded when that crazy general in the compound decided to run outside and shoot with his pistol at him! So I pierced his guts with a bullet from my M21, from 15m distance hehehe.  The other general in that house was alone (I had sniped his guards off, see pics in previous post). But he threw a hand grenade at me! (or it was my mate) I tried to lob some through the window inside the house but failed, they came bouncing back and I am lucky I didn't kill myself with that.  ;D

Excellent mission, loads of enemies (I killed 38 and my buddy has got a nice score, too) and takes long if you want to survive on hardcore. At least for me, took 1:21 hours  :-X

This is the extraction point. Time to get away :)

[smg id=1564 align=center width=400]

gvse

Very cool! I really look forward to doing this mission again tonight when I have more time.
I also tried to make my own mission but right now it's a bit more difficult than arma2 editor. I plan on learning everything though casue at this stage I find OFP:DR with its smooth, atmospheric graphics and responsive controls much more appealing than A2.

Art Blade

This mission made it clear: The editor is the bigges asset for SP in this game after the campaign is over. I am going to learn the editor too :) We'll need another topic for it... I think you should start it, again  ;) ;D

gvse

I will once I get a simple mission done, but I seem to be constantly short of free time :(

Art Blade

Don't worry. Just do what you have to do and then... game time :) Don't turn this editor thing into a chore  ;)

Art Blade

LOL look down left... " objective complete "

I shot the general himself through the window this time  ;D ;D ;D

I didn't move the scope, that is exactly the hit position. I had gone prone in front of bunker #1 for that shot.

[smg id=1580 align=center width=400]

And the other general committed a major mistake at guessing where I was  ;D

[smg id=1581 align=center width=400]

gvse

You know I still haven't finished this mission; I always make some fatal mistake at one stage or another. Love the mission though!

Art Blade

I've finished it 5 times now, and failed like 15 times :)

Here's what I do:

Take out bunker#1 with mp5, leaving your mate outside (he doesn't use his night vision so he can't see in the bunker!) because case he might see something move outside, and "return fire" so he does not interfere with you but knows how to handle himself. Now you close in on the bunker from the hill facing that wall with "entrances" (open gaps) left and right Go in from the right, slowly, night vision on, so you'll see the guy to the left. If he heard your approach, he'll be facing you already. The second guy usually squeezes into the right corner in the bunker (pretty darkest corner he finds), but you can't shoot him diagonally through the inner entrance even if you see him (for some reason your bullets hit anything else), so you need to stick your head in and immediately fire at him. You may grab another sniper rifle from the bunker guys and ammo, now you have 2 rifles :)

Leave bunker#2 alone for now, go outside and in front of the bunker. And it's also time to let your mate move towards the second bunker and just a little downhill, and just so he crosses that rocky ditch close to your bunker and tell him as well to fire at will. Better do that before you leave the bunker. Like that he can see downhill, the encampment and any enemy trying to walk up your hill (they will, now that they've heard your attack). Go outside and lay down in front of your bunker, a little to the left and a little downhill. Like that you can see the compound, enemies trying to get to you, and you can see the lone house with a general in it (my favourite long range shot). Usually the enemy tries to get up to you, but you can take them out, your mate a good distance away so the enemy can't decide where to go (doesn't matter, the two of you take them out anyway). I found it very effective to take two separate spots like 50 or 100 yards away from one another. It's fun to hear him snipe someone, he actually works great like that :)

When things settle down, check the general in the far house and his men. You may get a lucky shot and kill him, at least his 4 guards.

Now you can take out the guys from the compund. There are two behind windows, you can take them out too. It takes a little until nothing moves any more.

You can now take out bunker#2 (strange how they keep hiding there, hehe) using an "expertly tossed hand grenade" ;) Else it gets ugly. I have died a lot of times only because of bunker#2, so did my mate...

Now, if you want to have a quick solution for the secondary objective (that house downhill near the compound), move on just so you can see the house, and issue an airstrike (you've got only one, and it is rather small... like one bomb) If it hits the house on top, it kills all three enemies in there, but the house didn't collapse when I did it, lol... let your mate check out if the house is clear, so you don't risk anything. Maybe there are four enemies in it, I don't know since they dissolve so quickly, and because I love to shoot them through their window (but you never get them all through the window) and then call in the the airstrike.

Now there should be only a few soldiers left at the compound, between the houses on the outside are maybe 2 or 3 left. Take them out by closing in at the compound but keep your distance, and circle around it, always an eye on possible threats. The last general sometimes runs outside, good. If not, shoot his house a couple of times from the side closer to the sea, then round the compound to the hillside, enter the building facing the general's house... see the pic in the previous post, he was the last man standing and had his back turned at me  :)

Hope you'll make it, mate :)

gvse

I have finally made it! Lost my man, but still, I have made it in one piece to the getaway boat.
Did it differently than you. I do both bunkers first with grenades then I take position in bunker2 and snipe soldiers down in the village. Some elude my aim and make it to the top but that's where mines are waiting for them :). Then I proceed to the detached house and take everyone inside with the mp5 and next it's down to the village, circling it and taking out guys with the sniper rifle. The general ran out and that's where I got him too. I clear all the houses and then proceed to the second detached house where general2 is bunked up. First sniping from the distance and then up close and personal ramming the door and killing hapless soldiers.
Yeah, it's a damn good mission! :)

Art Blade

Nice :) Feels good, doesn't it :)

Interesting what you do... a lot of risk involved, hehe  :-*

Quote from: gvse on October 25, 2009, 01:44:37 PM
but that's where mines are waiting for them :)

;D Nice

I did that too twice, but they ignored my mines as they took a different route than expected.

Yeah, that's a damn fine mission  :-X

zx80

After completing the campaign on Normal, (I tried the first few missions on Hardcore, but really needed to get some familiarity with it before I try that again), I had a go at this mission on hardcore. It took me about fifteen or twenty attempts, but finally managed to finish it in about 47 minutes. It's a cracker of a mission, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I actually ran out of mp5 ammo at the village, but had enough sniper ammo to finish the mission. I was reluctant to pickup the PLA guns, because I wanted to keep the mp5, but when I ran out of ammo for it  I had left it too late to go back to the fallen PLA for ransacking them, they had gone!

I've noticed a very irritating bug, especially in this mission - I frequently found myself returned to the desktop on clicking the mouse for aiming down the barrel/scope. It doesn't crash the game or anything, I just have to reselect the game  tab on the task bar to go back in where I left off.

This is one of the best behaved and informative forums I have been to for games info, and I definitely appreciate it.

I have also been playing FC2 as well since it came out, and have completed it at least seven times, always on Infamous, and it still draws me back, and I think OF:DR will, too.

zx80

I think the bug is due to the fact I have two screens running, the secondary is above the primary. When I move my view downwards, say to look downhill, the mouse is moving up the screen, or it would if you could see it. (I routinely invert the y-axis on the mouse in FPS games.) If the mouse moves up far enough, beyond the edge of the game, when I click it it deselects the game and selects the desktop. The game isn't keeping mouse within its screen boundary, as most games do.
I'll try disabling the secondary screen and see if that helps.

Art Blade

First of all, welcome to OWG, zx80  :)

Glad you changed from ROM  (read-only member) to RAM (reservations abandoned member)  ;D

I know that problem with games behaving strangely, due to dual monitors. That's why I have a second PC connected to my second monitor  ;D

Over all those many years I always used inverted mouse view, like from steering planes where pull up equals a movement towards the player, resembling a mouse "down" movement. Now that I use OFP2's editor a lot, which fires up a test game with default values, I couldn't stand it any more to always have to change the mouse view. Now I have used that default mouse so often, I have got used to it, and even changed it in the "real" game to default.

The mission Lone Snipers is so cool because the AI is so cool, you don't need much coding for that (the soldiers in the compound seem like glued to their places until you alert them). But the entire setting with starting off a hill and enemies down in the valley... the setting is perfect and the AI does the rest to keep one busy :) Maybe it is the purity of the mission that makes it so great. Simple taks, hard to accomplish. Glad you liked it too :)

Once you got used to hardcore you'll see it is different from other games. You don't have less health, nor less ammo, nor is the AI improved or anything else cranked up to silly values. Hardcore is merely the lack of information (no hud) and, well, no savegames. But that is not so very important as it might appear. Usually I am a wild saver and tend to use cheats, but this OFP2 really got me, I play hardcore and the last time I went back to normal (editor) it was almost ugly  :)

fragger

Hi, zx80, welcome aboard :) Enjoy the forums!

PZ

Great read guys, and it makes me want to fire up OFP2 again  :-X

Welcome to the forum, zx80  ;)

zx80

Thanks for the welcome. I re-did the mission again, and this time it took three attempts, but succeeded with both team members finishing, only one injury. I was much more relaxed about it and seemed to do better as a result. I took out the solders in Bunker 1 with a pistol, a single shot to the head of both, trying not to alert the PLA at the village. They still heard me!
Sniped most of them as they approached, one got to the top of the hill but got his head taken off when he popped it up to take a shot at my partner. Then we took out Bunker 2 through the small window (the sniper at the front was taken out from the other bunker), and then went down to the house.
Circled the village after sniping all the visible PLA, caught several more PLA from the other side, then went through the buildings and took out the general, before a leisurely finale at the house near the coast for the last general.

Am now working through the rest of the bonus missions.

I have to question some of the initial load-outs on some missions. Not having a scope is very limiting, I can hardly see what I am trying to shoot with an iron sight beyond about 150 metres, so my first priority is to acquire a scoped weapon from a dead PLA at the earliest opportunity. It doesn't feel right shooting one of my own dudes just for his gun!

Once I have a scope my productivity goes up, as it were.

zx80

Tags:
🡱 🡳