A quick look behind when driving (PC)

Started by Cyran, March 26, 2009, 01:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyran

Hi

Sorry if this is well known, but I don't remember reading it anywhere including in the game manual. It applies to PC, I don't know if there is a console equivalent.

When driving a vehicule, clicking the left or right mouse button makes you look to the left or right. Clicking both  mouse buttons make you look straight behind you. When you relaese the mouse buttons the sight reverts to the front.

The nice point is that it also w@&k on boats (where you cannot look behind you otherwise to see if you are followed) :)

Ricamundo

Wow, i didn't know that. 8) That's good to know, thx.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

spearhead_22

Wow! I didn't know that either and I've been playing FC2 for so many days!  ::) But I did wonder sometime when I had accidentally pressed a mouse button and the view had changed, which I didn't want to happen and shrugged it off thinking it to be some bug in the game!
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Dweller_Benthos

I had known about the right & left looks for a while but only recently discovered the look behind a few days ago, saw it on a youtube video and figured there must be a way to do it. I think the video was created on a console, so there must be a way for them to use it as well.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

retiredgord

Wow that's great.  I don't think the PS3 has that feature.  When looking backward you have to hold the joystick back and when trying to manuever backwards it's rally confusing...I don't do it with AI around.  You can see quickly to the side but I'm not sure if you can hold the view with a click of any of the buttons.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Actually the PS3 does allow looking back - do it all the time because I'm paranoid that some merc truck is going to hunt me down.  Press down on the joystick (right on I think) like it is a button and you're looking straight behind while driving boating, etc.

Cyran,
Thanks for posting, and never be reluctant to do so.  I didn't realize that others were not aware of this feature, else I'd posted long ago.  Great tip!

retiredgord

Thanks for the info przao as it will give me a better opportunity to scout as I'm driving.  ON the PS3 I turned off he music so I could enjoy the sound of the sand and grass swhishing beneath my wheels, the sound of the buzzards and vultures cryng as they cricle the meals I left behind or the bub,bub bub of the tires on r/way tracks. It's both a joy and a thrill to hear some merc yelling profanities at me as I drove by and then I would drive like in a Nascar race only to jam on the brakes and jump up to the m/g and turn to greet those new found folks as they drive into my wall of death.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

spaceboy

I too totally love doing 180s in the trucks and jumping back to the gun.  Great fun.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Dweller_Benthos

I turned off the music too, I wonder how many others have? After a while I just found it annoying and it was covering too much of the ambient sound.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

I never thought of it actually, I will though, it ought to increase the immersion even more.  Thanks for the idea.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

I haven't done away with the music either, mainly because I like it.  However, it's a good idea to try and see how much more immersive the game becomes.

Roaven

Click right thumbstick on the consoles. I've known this for a while and use it often

Ceres Tauri

Quote from: Roaven on March 27, 2009, 03:22:54 PM
Click right thumbstick on the consoles. I've known this for a while and use it often

I was gonna say!  X-Box 360 its Right stick, mash down on it gives you a glance behind you as long as you hold it.  Handy for checking if those "truck/car banging in ruts sounds" are yours or a pursuing Datsun or something.

wexer9

This is one thing that I did already know - I picked up on this very early in my first playthrough. I find it useful to check on the buggies chasing me.

Art Blade

Wow, I've never seen a merc use a buggy! Or did you mean the Assault Trucks ("AT")?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 05:34:10 PM
Wow, I've never seen a merc use a buggy! Or did you mean the Assault Trucks ("AT")?

Whatever the standard merc vehicles are called. :P

Art Blade

Mercs use four kinds of cars:

• Assault Trucks. They have mounted weapons on top: SAW (mg), .50 (heavy mg) and Grenade Launcher.
  • Jeep Wrangler (small Jeep)
  • Jeep Liberty (more like a family Jeep)
  • Datsun (small car)

We usually refer to those Assault Trucks as AT, .50 AT, and GLAT.
Patrols using an AT are sometimes called ATP.
Those small cars on patrol are usually called Datsun Dummies (DD)

Now you should be able to read through a lot of posts with those abbreviations :)

Oh, mercs may use those really big trucks (north railyard, petro sahel...) if they have no other car at hand and want to chase you.

Another abbreviation we use a lot is GP (Guard Post) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I always get tripped up on GP and sometimes use CP thinking command post or check point.  :-[

I'll get it figured out eventually.  :P
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I noticed  ;D

For me, Check Points usually are part of racing games where you need to pass a certain CP to get extra time added, or in games that require you to follow a given path, maybe used to save your current game on passing them.

Then, when I read "Command Post," it reminds me of military games where a CP needs to either be protected or attacked as a main mission goal. It could also be a safe haven, a place to return to, a base of operations.

I like the term Guard Post for FC2 (whoever came up with it first) because it is none of the above, but what they are: Mostly little shacks with ammo, a gun, a ride and a couple of mercs guarding roads.

I didn't have a name for them before I found OWG, and most people here referred to them as GP/Guard Post, so I got used to it :)

fragger

wexer9

Thanks for informing of the naming conventions of vehicles. :)

What do you call the big trucks added by the Fortunes Pack DLC? The really big ones?

Art Blade

"(really) big trucks" or "large trucks"  ;D Oh, I don't know, you mean the unimog? no idea, "'mog" and "moogy" is what I've seen here :)

PZ

Another one is "Uni" 

I guess anything goes as long as we know what is being referenced!   :-X

RedRaven

"The big white bouncy truck with the 50 calibre death spitter"
Thats what would paint on the side of mine ;D .
Not sure how accurately it has been done but it is based on the Mercedes Unimog. Excellent machines, very durable.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on January 27, 2010, 03:30:00 PM
"The big white bouncy truck with the 50 calibre death spitter"
Thats what would paint on the side of mine ;D .

Excellent...  ;D ;D ;D :-X :-X :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳