FC2 music

Started by PZ, October 04, 2009, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

These are a couple of sound clips from the game that I enjoy.  You can get them in the downloads section (approximately 1mb each) or click the link below.  I'm such a hard core FC2 fan that I have these (and all other FC2 music) in play lists on my computer so I can listen to them at w@&k and reminisce about my FC2 adventures  :)

Clip 1
Clip 2

PZ

Here are a couple more FC2 tidbits:

The Jackal

The mysterious voice telling me all about my predecessor

spaceboy

Thanks PZ,  I can't wait to download.  Will fit in well to my listening at w@&k.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Well, I managed to extract all of the music out of the binaries, and am now deciding which ones I really want to add to my music library.  They are native OGG in the game data, but I converted them to MP3 for ease of transport to other machines (like the ones at w@&k!)

The interesting thing is that I could swear that I have music that I've never heard before - kind of like the merc talk - you hear some tracks all the time while others are rare.

spaceboy

hey, that's an idea. Can you extract all the lines the mercs say?  Probably way too many or unable to but that would be cool to listen to them all.  Anyways, good job on the music.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Already working on that - I think that I have about 1000 or so sound bytes to w@&k through - fun w@&k though!

Art Blade

cool  :-X how exactly did you extract the sound files? Which programs did you use and what FC2 files need to be checked?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but never had the chance to get to until today.  I keep telling myself that I need to get the music out so that I can create play lists for w@&k!  I'll put together a short article on how to get all of the sounds out - relatively straight forward procedure.  The process results in a folder full of every sound in the game (as far as I can tell) - every character's lines, and all of the music.  The only lines I've not yet encountered are the merc lines, however as I mentioned, the list of files is long.

The format is .ogg, but I used a freeware media converter to save them into mp3, however I'm not satisfied with the software I used - limited as to the number of files you can convert.

Art Blade

what was the tool you extracted the ogg files with?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

This one - it first starts in Czechoslovakian, but you can change the language settings. If I recall correctly, there were several .dat files that that you can check.  The software is rather self-explanatory if you're comfortable with not using instructions  ;)

PZ

ahhhh.... just put the FC2 music into my library and am listening to my favorite FC2 tune - the one with he banjo.  ;)

Art Blade

cheers, just checked the zip and afterwards the exe through virustotal, looks clean  :-X

Art Blade

ha, it started in German, althought the help file is in English  :)

RedRaven

Never had the music on in FC2, usually its Radio plays or music from my collection.
If it is possible to extract the Mercs lines would it then be possible to have a Link on main OWG page or main FC2 page that would play a Random file every day or with each click?
Would be amusing to have a audio "Quote of the Day"  ;D
(but probably more entertaining would be peoples posts going by the humourous content that gets posted here)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

That's a good idea  :-X

I've not explored streaming media delivery, but it should not be too difficult.  Could even have "name that buddy" contests - I've found all of the buddy lines.

RedRaven

also i have a selection of good Audio-Visual editing software (spent couple of years recording/editing/producing Demo's for poor & struggling local acts. and some sound enginering in night clubs). So if any editing is needed i'm more than willing to brush the cobwebs off that part of my brain.
ps- what do i need to exact the audio from it? Cheers :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

I posted a link to the extraction software above, and am planning to do a short article (unless Art beats me to it  ;D) on how to get the audio out of the .dat files in your FC2 folders.  Here is an example of how our gallery handles audio - kind of simplistic, but it works:

Who is this?
[smg id=1516 type=av]

RedRaven

Totally didnt spot the link , got it now  :-X .

As for the audio interface i reckon Basic is best, (ideal for the side panels like the scrolling screenshots) but not a clue as to how to randomise the file it would play. The audio files would be tiny too even after cleaning and normalising them.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on October 05, 2009, 02:52:12 PM
Who is this?

I think it's our "Predecessor" :)

cool, audio files... :)

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on October 05, 2009, 02:27:25 PM
That's a good idea  :-X

I've not explored streaming media delivery

PZ, one thing you should check before you do that: Bandwidth and traffic. I don't know about how you might increase traffic and use up bandwidth - it might exceed the webhosting service and I don't want you to suddenly receive a big bill for extra MB/GB traffic. Please take that into consideration and check with your webhoster.

PZ

Thanks for your concern Art (always watching out for our best interest  :-X) - we should be OK because I doubt that there will be that many members using the audio media.  I'll keep it a click-able control like the one above so that bandwidth is not consumed unless someone plays it.  I typically watch the bandwidth meter to see our consumption, but it never has been too bad, and never even close to our limits (our plan offers unlimited bandwidth)  ;D

Art Blade

good :) How about traffic? I know a "plan" usually consists of a certain amount of GB traffic and once that limit is reached, they charge per exceeding MB sometimes a not so reasonable amount which could add up to something considerable. That is different from bandwidth. Are you sure you're within the limits?

PZ

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that we are OK - my plan offers unlimited monthly transfer, and no yearly maximum is defined.  I don't know if these rules will change in the future (one can never predict how these things will go), but I can ride the wave while I can.  We consume rather small resources due to relatively efficient software, relatively small downloads, and attention to general file size (like the gallery objects).  In all, about 2-3 gb per month is rather nominal.

Art Blade

Glad to hear that  :-X Couldn't go to sleep before that reply  ;D

PZ

I fully understand - we wouldn't want OWG to fold!  :'(

Tags:
🡱 🡳