Music Discussion

Started by RedRaven, September 30, 2009, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Enviably collectible fragger.  :-X

Spoiler
I was going to say sweet little Twin SG fragger before I clicked the spoiler and saw how, that thought, was more accurate than I realized.  8)

The bottom guitar is a Gretsch Double Cut (cut away to allow full access to the highest frets) though I've not been able to identify the exact year and model as the unique headstock has me a bit baffled.

The top guitar also has a unique headstock and I'm afraid my identification skills on guitars beyond being able to recognize the three single coil pickup configuration as a Strat variant (though they may well be double stacked or twinblade humbucking pickups created to fit in a single coil pickup's space). 

On closer examination I would really like to identify the top guitar's make and model because it has a highly interesting control cluster and I always go a bit crazy for buttons and dials.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Thanks guys, lol :) :-()

And thanks for the info, mandru. I figured you'd be the man there :-X

I mistakenly listed one as a Strat before remembering that I considered buying that, but ended up going for the ones you see here instead.

PZ

Maybe mandru's nick should be "musicman"  :-()

Art Blade

among other titles  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Actually Art, I think that should be "Among other pejoratives."    ;)

I've worked hard over the last 20 years to escape being known as a know-it-all.  Looks like I may need to tighten up my efforts in that direction.
- mandru

Art Blade

Your knowledge is very much appreciated here and by far not dismissed. Don't worry, mate  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

We like you just the way you have been, mandru - it is just fine to wear many hats in this organization  :-X  ;)

fragger

My thoughts exactly :) I for one love to be around those who have a good deal of knowledge about a broad range of topics. They make for stimulating conversation, and I can learn from them :-X

Embrace your know-it-allness, mandru! I'd rather be around a know-it-all than be around a know-nothing-at-all-about-anything ;D

Art Blade

hehe, "I'd rather be around a know-it-all than be around a know-nothing-at-all-about-anything" who talks like he knew everything about anything.  ;D

mandru

- mandru

JRD

A know-it-all is a guy interested in many diverse subjects, a person who will always learn and pass on his experience!

A jackass is a guy who will never admit he might be wrong or accept more information that makes him change his mind!

Open mind-ness is the key!

Open Mind, Open World... get it? See it?  ;)  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I guess the key term in our success both professionally and on our forum is "open"  ;)

Art Blade

and perhaps "mind"  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

Mandru.. I have something for you.. 1969 MOOG (wait until 1:21), original "popcorn" tune  ;D

Gershon Kingsley - Popcorn

and here the master himself (well.. just so we know who it is)

Gershon Kingsley plays Popcorn 2007

Art Blade

Ahhh.. one more for you, mandru.. an MCS70 recording of 1978 ;D

Automat - Droid

mandru

Cool vids Art.  Thanks.

Gershon Kingsley at the end of the clip featuring him playing cracked me up by looking at the camera at the end and saying "It's all in F." as if it was something that went without saying.

I enjoyed those.  Popcorn made me jump over to Youtube and look up Joy by Apollo 100 because in my mind's eye I saw these two as being contemporaries with each other and I wandered off on few of the connected links.  Then that led to searching out Walter Murphy & the Big Apple band's A Fifth Of Beethoven and that led to ELO's Roll Over Beethoven.

Next thing I know I'm an hour and a half past when I was headed for bed if it hadn't been for a quick stop by OWG and see if there was any thing I needed to check out.   ;D

- mandru

Art Blade

mmosu

Those were cool clips Art  :-X  I don't frequent this music page much, but something made me click on it today.  Open question: 1969 . . . how long back does synthesizer technology date?  If not much farther than this, than do things like this represent what could be considered the earliest forerunners of <gasp> techno music? 

Art Blade

Art Blade

By the way, the Popcorn tune I grew up with (I was crazy about it when I was a child) was this one here:

Hot Butter - Popcorn - 1972

Art Blade

A more recent version is by M&H Band (not Kraftwerk) -- I have this one, (1987) special DJ version of M&H Band:

M&H Band - Pop Corn (Remix Version 87 Special D'J)

But if you want to listen to what it's like these days, check out this minimal version ( :-X )

Popcorn Original Mix Electro

mmosu

WOW  :o  I never would have guessed something like that would have been around so long ago!  Too bad there wasn't a drawing, or pic of a mock-up, or anything to give us an idea of what that first synth would have looked like.  I checked out the Dr. Moog and guitar synthesizer links also - a lot of it way beyond my understanding but cool nonetheless  :-X

mmosu

I listened to that 1969 Gershon Kingsley clip that started this whole thing again.  There's a . . . purity, for lack of a better word . . . in that sound that I really like.  It's very clean and easy to listen to and appreciate, not cluttered like so much music is today.  Completely new to me also . . . a few hours ago I didn't even know who Gershon Kingsley is  ;D

Art Blade

:) :-X

Basically always true: The first is the best. Remakes etc are different but usually not better.

Tags:
🡱 🡳