Rage

Started by Dweller_Benthos, September 23, 2009, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Well, found some solutions on the issues. On the rage-bethesda forums they advice to put some special commands to the .exe file in steam. I di that, and so far the V-sync issue is gone. Textures do still pop up but less; that's because now Rage knows that they can use the 2 gb of mem on my gfx card :P
The game tends to remember earlier uploaded textures now, at least for when you stay in the same area. So better, but pretty far from the way it should be.
Then the flickering actifacts: They remain. Don't know how to adjust that; on that forum they don't say anything about it. Only that it might have been caused by a 'bad driver that AMD released for the game'. I did not get that driver, I got the good one. So I'm wondering how this will ever be fixed.
The game crashed on me again, but this time after 1 hour of play. So things are slightly better, but pretty far from acceptable.

I started a hard playhtrough. Can't make it past groups of soldiers without bullets. They shoot you to death if you come closer. But anyway, so far I haven't run out of them. Allthough it was time to buy some. Had plenty of money, but sinc eI had a gamecrash, couldn't go on :(
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Its small comfort, but at least you are getting to see how the gamplay is. Any word of a patch for PC?

I was surprised there was a patch today for 360 as it usually takes ages to get a patch past the Microsoft testers.... a good thing I suppose, but if it takes that long to get a patch though, then it means they knew these issues existed a good while ago... not very inspiring :(
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

No patch for pc. I've been searching around for fixes and such, but I refuse to force my gfx driver to act in an abnormal way just to get this game running. And if I compare the textures available, once they're shown adequately, to other games, the gfx of this game is a laugh.
I highly regret having the game pre-ordered. Now I'm stuck with it. I would have never bought it if I knew it was so damn laggy.  >:((

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Well they want to market this engine for other devs, so hopefully that will be the spur to make them fix it sooner rather than later.

PZ

Sorry to hear of all the issues.  I wonder how it will look/operate on console  ????

Fiach

I'm playing it on the 360 mate, it got patched this morning, game runs perfect and looks great. Its like a totally different game to my experience pre-patch :)

PZ

Nice - Binnatics experience was starting to scare me off the game  :-()

Fiach

I can understand, I was getting really ticked off last night, but all is rosy now (well for me anyway :()

Binnatics

Spoke to Deadman over Steam and he said it runs fine with his Nvidia card. For me, it's stil crap.

And to be honest: The game doesn't really attract me either. Maybe it's because of the shiddy graphics and bugs, but the gameplay is not what I'd hoped for. The racing is simple; no mouse view, just steer, boost and brake sometimes. The boosting will put your car pretty far away from you, what makes the speed experience worse. Doesn't feel like a real racing game. The missions, the shooting/slamming, it's not what I'd expected. When I compare this to my bulletstorm experience, this is childplay. The enemies act dumb; usually they attack you (wait for you) with 3. If you kill 2, the last one runs of. They do hide if you try to shoot them, but if you wait, they come one by one and check if they can shoot you. A simple knock down is easy then. They say stupid things. You can't perform headshots :o, only with the sniper rifle. Well, I've tried to see if it makes any difference at all if you hit someone in the head or in the corpse, can't see any. Except for that the first shot to the head will bust off his helmet.
I don't know what all these reviewers have been drinking but their great stories are all bull to me..

Somehow, the game seems quite like Red Faction Guerrilla, only that game was a lot better imo. Better graphics, smoother gameplay, headshots, a world that's more open...
Sorry guys, I'm really negative here. I'm just feeling totally busted by this game. I allready got 2 BSoD's due to playing it, while I'd put all that effort in my machine to get rid of these crashes. :'(

Binnatics

hmmm, there seems to be one consolation for me; Bethesda offers a free game to all who bought Rage as a retail version. You can choose either to get "hunted" for free, or "Brink".

Pleace, advice needed. Which one is better?

JRD

I'm really sorry, Binn... it seems like a very bad experience  :-\\

Rage seems like a game I'd buy one day after having finished the games i'm playing and finding it for a lower price but now... no headshots? wtf  ???? ? Are they dumb or what? Poor AI is also a mood breaker to me, an insult to my gaming inteligence. Poor mission design too, so in the end it only looks good but actually stinks when you get closer.  :D

As for the games, I'd go for Brink but since I don't know the other title it could be an option too... I suggest youtube videos of gameplay and a few reviews in one or two gaming sites like IGN or Gamespot... of course, any OWG member that comes up with a suggestion beats it all  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

^-^ I read a review by Fiach on Hunted. He seems to like the game on PC. But it's a role playing game. When I hear all the fun Art has had with Brink, I think that's the game I'll choose.

For now, I've been having fun with the races. They should be challenging in nightmare difficulty, but they aren't. Nightmare isn't what it used to be; remember back in the days, playing Doom on nightmare? That was something.
This nightmare is more like a tough challenge, nothing to worry about. Like Fiach mentioned allready; With the fists you can almost get all of the enemies down. Only when they have good weapons and are further away, you need your guns.
Weird actually, for a shooter. Poor ammo and lots of fisting through.
The races can be entertaining though. You gain upgrades for your wasteland cruiser so that benefits. And I don't have that much frustration on artifacts or texture popups. When you race you kind of don't pay attention to it. The crashes are still annoying though. Went back into one of these hideouts for some shooting, and the game crashed right away :-(

Fiach

Where is this offer Binn, I may use it to take a peek at Brink.... but my version is 360, so I dont know if I will be eligable.

I havent played Brink, but iirc Art loved it, its more of an online experience as opposed to solo I think I remember him saying, but he liked the solo AI.

Brink got quite bad reviews here, currently its selling for about ten quid second hand and I still wouldnt buy it as I'm not a shooter fan really.

Hunted isnt much of an RPG, its really a third person shooter, the characters are cool with nice banter, the side mission puzzles add a nice diversion, its not great looking and the game is quite linear, truth be told, I probably will end up preferring it to Rage, but Rage is improving alot for me since yesterday, so that may change.

I'm in a place called Dead City (in Rage), they have super mutants the size of houses lol :) On saying that they are slow and easy (but time consuming with fists) to defeat. The area is very like Fallout 3, with a nice change in the gfx style, compared to the desert, still havent got an assault rifle, I have about 500 bullets at this stage for it.

I tried one of the sewer missions, lotta mutants there and some loot for crafting, but nothing great, they look kinda crap (like sewers shoud I guess LOL :)).

Another annoying thing, you kill these mutants (probably the main enemy in the game so far) an d they just disappear in a wisp of smoke, no loot (and the game has no XP), so its kind of annoying to have to kill so many with no reward.

Fiach

Here is a good video, shows alot of the weapons and ammo types.

Look at the bottom left of the screen, you will periodically see a little diamond, this is where he is selecting ammo types for his weapon. At 5.55 he selects an interesting one I havent seen, Mind Control bolts for the crossbow, looking forward to that :)

RAGE - Jackal Canyon Official Gameplay Trailer

deadman1

Quote from: Fiach on October 07, 2011, 05:35:16 PM

I'm in a place called Dead City (in Rage), they have super mutants the size of houses lol :) On saying that they are slow and easy (but time consuming with fists) to defeat. The area is very like Fallout 3, with a nice change in the gfx style, compared to the desert, still havent got an assault rifle, I have about 500 bullets at this stage for it.

I tried one of the sewer missions, lotta mutants there and some loot for crafting, but nothing great, they look kinda crap (like sewers shoud I guess LOL :)).

Another annoying thing, you kill these mutants (probably the main enemy in the game so far) an d they just disappear in a wisp of smoke, no loot (and the game has no XP), so its kind of annoying to have to kill so many with no reward.

I just finished that part last night :), the assault rifle aren´t as good as you might expect. The normal ammo are kind of underpowered and you need a lot of it to take down a mutant, but for the enemies with armor there´s an enhanced ammo that´s quite good if somewhat expensive. So far the best weapon for me has been the shotgun and the wingstick. If you buy the binocular part ("the good part") that some vendors have, it´ll give you a binocular and when used together with the pistol it becomes a sniperscope of sorts. Quite handy sometimes , escpecially if you use "fatboy " ammo in your pistol >:D

Fiach

Thanks for that mate, do you need to apply that scope to the pistol or is it automatic, whenever you use iron Sights.... btw do you ever get a different pistol?

I finished the Dead City, it was good and bad, there was a locked door and I had no grinder and I dont think I can go back now (that was the bad bit),  It was just before you get the rocket launcher.

I wished there were more enemies that actually dropped loot, not just mutants.

I got cards for the slimer mutant, dunno his name, big bugger that fired globs of snot at you, and I got one near the guy you kill with the launcher, but the guy at the very start, when you come out of the sewer initially, I couldnt find any card around there, do you recall if there was one?

Whew.... and finally LOL :), whats your impression of the game so far? :)

Fiach

OK I''m annoyed at this Dead City thing, if you are playing this game read a guide before you go to Dead City the first time as you can miss stuff.

Apparently you need some sort of RC bomb to get a certain card, but you dont get the schematic until you do a side quest from what I can gather, I cba going back and doing it again, but its just another freakin annoyance in this game.  :D

JRD

Wow... graphics looks great in that video, Fiach and action packed too.  ???  :-X

Of course that is a promotional video so they wouldn't show any bugger but still, it makes anyone consider buying this game!

Hope you guys get those gfx issues sorted soon and the gameplay improves too.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

wow. All in all, I know I won't buy Rage. So, thanks for all those warnings and infos :)

And Brink was a team game that worked offline as well because the AI was so brilliant. Lots of options to change your character (abilities, outfits and weapons) which alone is worth god knows how many hours of fun. SP was interesting because you played the same story on two sides, defenders and attackers. Unfortunately there are only few maps for MP.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I've made up my mind, I will take Brink indeed. And sorry Fiach, but it's a Dutch action. You could try it though, if you had a Dutch correspondation adress :-D The action coupon is easily optained on a website.

I really hope that Bethesda, or "eye-dee" makes a good pc patch, because I guess I can have fun with this game. At least for a while.

About the graphics: I can honestly not believe that this engine, well, the way it's shown in this game, is about to win any award for any graphics performance. Everything looks nice from a distance, but when you come close, it's all cheap tricks and not much details. They say that the graphics of this game are so diverse; every sort of building (factory, hospital, etc) has its own materials and all in huge variations.
Well, that may be, but form up close it looks like all the same rubbish to me. If ppl complain about the graphics in FO3, then this is worse. For example the plants: There aren't many, and those which I've seen are all 2 dimensional, turning objects. And if you take a closer look, it's hard to even recognize a plant, since the detail is so bad. I'll post a few pics on the plants I've discovered so far.

Another thing that annoys me, graphically speaking: is the windows. In any bandit stronghold, you'll find windows that will lighten up the room in an incredible beautifull way: you know these falling bundles of light, cutting through a dusty enfironment, giving you the feeling of being close to the beautifull weather outside.... Well, if you take a close look to these windows, they're just lightboxes. Nothing 'outside' or 'sunshine' there, it's just a wall dressed like a sunny window :-\\
The effect for the fast moving gamer might still be beautifull, but for the one wondering around a bit, curious, it's a bummer.

Binnatics

Had a better experience today then yesterday. I could play on for like 2:30 h. before the first crash. Had fun killing mutants at Bash TV. Stand-up action ;)
This game made me like the buckshot ammo for the regular shotgun pretty much. Instant kill if you shoot from close, which is just the way to take out these mutants.  >:D
All these artifact- and popup s#!t is still there, but I Try to ignore it. The game is entertaining then. I hope they fix the issues soon, then it can be a nice game.

As promised some Rage flora material:
Spoiler

[smg id=3742 width=600]
[smg id=3744 width=600]
[smg id=3745 width=600]

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on October 08, 2011, 04:20:15 PM

As promised some Rage flora material:

Dunno if you got the quest yet, but a guy in the bar will give you a quest called Miracle Cure, the swamp is just past the Mutant TV place. These items give you a permanent HP increase, so keep an eye out for them in your travels.

I did a pretty good mission for the Sheriff, to go to the Shrouded *something* (forget the name) and deal with the remote controlled cars problem. Just a heads up as you cant go back after the mission, Go there while its empty (exit wellsprings and turn right, its on your right hand side, you will be attacked by a RC Car outside it. Go inside, you will come to a large room, there is a railed raised area, on the far side is a card to collect.

During the mission bring a lock grinder as there is an assault rifle there, its scoped and prety cool. :)

That place opens up into a pretty large area when you get the mission I used 500 pistol rounds LOL :) BTW the Monocular is awesome on the pistol! :)

PZ

Nice video Fiach  :-X

Fiach

Cheers mate :)

CARD LOCATIONS

Here is a list of locations of cards, there are some VERY missable, so its worth checking out I think :

http://gamenac.com/rage/collectible-playing-cards

A Video to show where the cards are in order of appearence in quests/travels :

Rage: Gotta Have 'Em All Achievement - All Cards!

SEWER LOCATIONS

A list of the Sewer Locations (DLC available to buyers of the first release of the game)

http://game.downloadatoz.com/tutorial,28091,how-to-find-all-wasteland-sewers-locations-in-rage.html

WOLFENSTEIN ROOM

Early in the game one of the first hideouts

Rage - Wolfenstein 3D Easter Egg

QUAKE ROOM

In the Car Parts mission hideout, need to press 3 buttons, then go up the stairs with the mattress blocking the way.

Rage - Quake Easter Egg

Binnatics

FALLOUT 3 EASTER EGG:

On the desk of the mayor, the right side corner near you, is a bobblehead figure. It's worth 150 dollars ;)

Btw: Thanx Fiach for the guide on these cards. I didn't know they were missable but good that you sorted that out. Seems there are only 2 missions to worry about missables. "The Well", and "Authority Prison".

Right now I'm heading to this Dead City. Hope It won't be so disappointing for me as your experience :-\\

Tags:
🡱 🡳