[Side Missions] Buddy Missions @ Mike's Bar

Started by TopHat01, September 13, 2009, 09:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopHat01

I haven't started any of these yet (and never did them in my other play through), but are there any perks/unlocks after completing these, similar to diverting the main missions with buddies?  (EG you unlock upgraded AT's and supplies when working with buddies)

PZ

Just about the same - your reputation rises with each buddy quest you complete, but no additional funds.  If you do them all, then eventually your safe houses are upgraded with grenade launching assault trucks - talk about fire power!  Lots of fun to drive these back to Leboa to cause serious damage.  I remember once parking one of these babies on the road to Mike's on the outskirts of Pala, and lobbed grenades into town killing what must have been a hundred mercs (they spawn endlessly) until I tired of the fun.

The other advantage is that you get to do additional missions that you've not played before; just another perk in the game.

TopHat01

^Thanks, I'll have to try that with the grenade trucks. ;)

Art Blade

PZ is referring to side missions that go along with main missions - ie, faction leaders tell you to do X, but your best buddy suggests Y. If you do Y, you get the upgrades for your safehouse. It has to be said, unfortunately those upgrades are only valid for the safehouses of that part of the map (Leboa or Bowa) in which you got the job. I am not sure if you get a different Reputation increase after completing the main mission - with or without buddy mission it always says your Rep has increased. By the way, the GL upgrade is very late in the game. I recommend you postpone the endgame (prison/heart of the darkness) and have some fun in FC2 world instead - with a proper reputation and a Gren AT (Grenade Launcher AssaultTruck) it is just too early for ending the game ;)

I want to add that the buddy missions you get at Mike's only increase your reputation, and add to the history with respective buddy. There are two missions that will have a permanent effect on the environment: In Leboa, wrecking the train in the NW of the map will leave the rail track damaged and with a train wreck across, in Bowa blowing up a truck in Sefapane will leave that garage devastated.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Although I probably called them the wrong thing, I was referring to the buddy missions you obtain at Mike's  ;)

I may have misunderstood, but Top's post read like he has done the side missions (the ones given by phone call from a buddy) but has not done the ones issued by the buddies at Mike's.  :)

Art Blade

Sorry PZ. Now I'm confused :) I think I misread your statement "if you do them all."

* Doing only missions given to you by your buddies at Mike's doesn't give you any upgrades, only increase reputation and the respective buddy's history.

* Doing side missions of a main mission will give you upgrades for your safehouses and increase your reputation.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm probably the one confused - doesn't increased reputation lead to safe house upgrades?  The reason I believe that it does is that think that I am not able to earn the GL AT safe house upgrade unless I've done all the buddy quests - could be wrong though (not the first time) because I've not really kept track.

Art Blade

hehehe, let's see if we can solve it :)

I remember one thing for sure: Every time you do a main mission and its corresponding buddy side mission, you see at the end of the mission a message: Mission accomplished, safehouse upgrade X (ie ammo box, med station, car etc), reputation increased.

If you do a "simple" buddy mission at Mike's, all you get is Mission accomplished, reputation increased (and it increases the history of that buddy).

I think the gren AT upgrade as a default car to your safehouse is so late in the game that you basically can't do anything with it unless you wait with the finale (prison/heart of the jungle). That is where I am not sure though because during the first playthrough I didn't do any side missions and during the second through I was in a hurry to get to the finish - only used my own old car, which was a gren truck anyway, and never visited a safehouse.

Again, I think, at the end of the game, before the finale, you receive that message "new weapons unlocked" - maybe that means get the Gren AT?

TopHat01

To clarify:
I was talking about the missions that are available at Mike's Bar, where your buddies linger around, and one of them (usually one that isn't a best buddy or rescue buddy) you can interact with. However, I already knew that by working with your best buddies during faction missions can earn you supplies and vehicles at your safehouse.  I apologize if I didn't word the OP clearly enough, and thanks for all of the replies.

Quote from: Art Blade on September 14, 2009, 02:53:35 PM
Again, I think, at the end of the game, before the finale, you receive that message "new weapons unlocked" - maybe that means get the Gren AT?

I think all of the weapons (or most) automatically unlock if you haven't destroyed any of the convoys for the arms dealer, probably to give the player the best selection of weapons before entering the HoD. 

Art Blade

good explanation, agree... and don't worry about the confusion, in the end it helps us to get into the details :)

By the way, the best buddy is at Mike's and gives you missions. Only your rescue buddy doesn't show.

PZ

I recall a thread not too long ago about the GL truck and the "new weapons unlocked" message after the prison escape.  We seemed to have discussed a resolution to the issue but I now cannot recall what it was. 

Art Blade

PZ

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳