Starpoint Gemini 2

Started by fragger, October 18, 2014, 07:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I've been keeping tabs on this game for a little while:

Starpoint Gemini 2 - Release Trailer

It's currently available from Steam, but I'm holding off on purchasing as it appears to be still struggling out of its beta cocoon and the bugs are still being coaxed out of it. I watched a few gameplay clips of it on You Tube and it looks like a pretty cool concept, if you're into free-roaming space trading/combat games (which I haven't been previously, but have always liked the idea of, and think I could really get into, if someone could do it really well, and this just might be right up my alley, if they can jimmy all the bugs out of it...) Will only run under Win7 or later, although a couple of You Tube clippers seemed to have managed to run it OK under Vista.

Basically, it's an open-world - or rather, open-galaxy - RPG/trading game. From what I've gathered so far there is a Campaign mode and a Free-roam mode. Campaign mode sounds pretty weak actually judging from the critiques I've read (and the voice acting I've heard in You Tube clips was pretty darned terrible) but the free-roam mode is what has my interest piqued. Quite deep RPG elements with tons of ship/weapon/equipment/crew/mission options, a "go where you want, when you want, and do what you want" design philosophy and a vast playing area. Gameplay appears to be very open-ended and flexible, with many of the commentators applauding the support of a wide range of gaming approaches and styles.

Reviews are mixed, but it generally scores fairly high, if you put any stock in that (which as a rule I don't, but I think if you look at enough of them they can give you a general trending consensus).

Being a space nut I like the idea of a game like this, but I'm waiting for the upgrading and patching to plateau out a bit more before I'll seriously consider it.

PZ

Art Blade

he did take a technology leap. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

lol :laugh: Armed now with a rapid net connection, Steam holds no more terrors for me ^-^

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳