Fall Out 3

Started by Fiach, May 10, 2009, 12:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

Why leave the forum just because you completed FC2? Stick around, maybe hide the walking canes, lay down some tacks for the wheelchair tyres, hide the Ex-lax  ;D

Going to get some Fallout 3 after FC1, what a huge game!

I started playing that game and I hit the level cap (20) before I even got to the main storyline, so I stopped playing, I knew they would have to raise the cap somehow.

Now with the Broken Steel DLC, the level cap is raised to 30, so I can continue the story.

For anyone who hasnt played FO3, I highly recommend it, its an open world game like FC2, but the landscape is a post nuclear apoclypse world, barren and ruined, with lots of kitch 1950's references.

The quests are top class too, making you ponder over alot of the choices you will have to make.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ricamundo

I've always turned the music off in all my games. I find its a distraction. in this case, I want to hear all the sounds in my surroundings, which really add to the immersion for me. In my racing games, I want to hear the engine sounds.

The other bonus, is there's less drain on your PC whilst playing, if the music's off.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

Sometimes I break out of FC2 and play a little FO3. It is great because they have an editor (Eden kit) with which you can edit properties of everything, create new NPC (non player characters) and modify weapons etc to your taste. Like that, you can change the game experience massively. I used to "mod" Oblivion, which has the same engine, more or less, and therefore found modding FO3 easy. The level-up was no issue for me, I too was quickly at 20. But the missions... I have a guide, comparable to prima guide of FC2, only it has 450+ pages LOL

Now looking forward to FUEL, but will continue playing FC2. Of course  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Fallout 3 sounds like my kind of game - I've been detailing why I like FC2 so much, and here's why the game suits my personal tastes:

• the beat up old fences, buildings, basically the ghetto look
  • mercs are normal appearing humans - I like this better than the alien/supernatural
  • the weapons are standard firearms that would be found today - plasma guns are not my usual style
  • the music - I love the music, although I must admit that I switch between having just the ambient sounds and the music from time to time.
  • the merc conversation - two of my favorite lines: "well, look what we got..." and "hey, did you hear about Ned?  Shot himself in the foot... [chuckle] that fu@#$ing guy..."
ahhhh.... I still love this game.....

Art Blade

FallOut3 has plasma guns and mutants (alien-like stuff) yet it is a wasteland and HUGE. You can "walk the earth" (once again that line haha) for literally hours. Like in FC2, you don't have map loading times (other than for example Crysis)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Well, it sounds like something to explore one of these days!

Art Blade

it is another game that takes a lot of time to see it all. I think it is great, but gee... if you like FC2, FUEL and all the new stuff... I'd not really go "back" to FO3 now. The graphics are somewhat old since it is based on The Elder Scrolls IV "Oblivion" which isn't exactly up to date. With your machine, you'd feel like having to put horses to the front of your car to move it around  ;)

PZ

ahhhh... I see.... I appreciate the feedback - maybe if I can rent it for cheap, it might be something to consider.

Art Blade

For something quick, funny and violent you might want to take a look at Kane&Lynch. Not open world, yet you have to explore certain maps to get the job done. Black humour...  ;D

[smg id=400]

Fiach

The shooting in K&L left alot to be desired, did they ever patch it?

Just to clarify about the guns in FO3, the energy weapons are special weapons that you have to skill up for, there are also regular weapons available with their own skill sets or you can melee your way through the game with melee skills.

I thought the gfx in FO3 were quite good, but I played on the 360, so maybe on PC its different, it does have a slight Far Cry 2 connection.....

Oh bongo bongo bongo I dont wanna leave the Congo oh no no no.
Bingo bango bongo I'm so happy in the Congo I refuse to go ....

Catchiest song on the planet methinks :D

Art Blade

can't remember if they patched K&L, and it neither is very best of graphics... it is based on Hitman BloodMoney, which I still love, but K&L is not so deep as FO3. Just have fun, be done.  :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 10, 2009, 12:01:33 PM
can't remember if they patched K&L, and it neither is very best of graphics... it is based on Hitman BloodMoney, which I still love, but K&L is not so deep as FO3. Just have fun, be done.  :)

I saw a video review of FO3... although it seemed a game I could easily enjoy, it also can be a game I get to hate.
I'm not too fond of deep RPG games as I think it's sometimes too slow paced and complicated. For instance, I remember a complicated system of shooting an enemy... you could aim and chose (!!!) where to hit the enemy and you never miss the shot. The game was kind of "frozen" while you are chosing. A firefight like that was as exciting as playing cards with your grandma!!
Although I reckon the replay value of games like FO3... it's endless, as you can finish the game in a hundred different ways!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Before FO3 came out I was sure I would want it, but the choose your shot thing while paused did turn me off a bit.  Anyways I rented it and didn't get past the birthday party - I just wanted to get out and explore.  Now that said, I'm someone who needs to invest in my games and music.  Normally rented/borrowed/free stuff never resonates with me, if I'm interested enough in something to commit $ to it - I generally will end up really liking it.  A rental often doesn't give you enough time to "get into it".
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

that's why I (usually carefully) decide to buy. The only things I rent are cars and flats (apartments)  ;D

RedRaven

after first finish restarted PC, cut all saves from game folder and put them somewhere safe then got straight back into it with run thru 2. couldnt wait to try things not done in first game. then started couple other games themed around either a character or set of weapons. Such a GREAT game.

EDIT-- oops. what i said above is about FC2 not Fallout3 <sorry  :-\>

did play fallout3 tho, bit like morrowind with guns, didnt grab me the same way FC2 has, so gave it a mate to try. FC2 is my fave.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

you speak my mind there, dke58 :)  :-X

Fiach

LOL, that "freeze" is awesome! Think Headshot in slo-mo.

Some enemies have to be targeted in certain areas eg a giant ants "antennae", if you shoot them off, they go berzerk, but having no "senses" left, they attack the nearest thing to them, if a creature uses leaping attacks, if you immobilise a leg, they cannot perform the leap attack.

The birthday party thing is slow, yes, but its to introduce you to the stats system and how to build your character and assign your points, because the system is so deep, you can build a pretty unique character, eg, the choice of gender even makes a difference, if you pick a female, you get a particular "perk" (Black Widow) that will allow you to direct conversations in a certain way.

The list of "perks" is just bonkers, there is one, its called Mysterious Stranger, where during some fights a guy will turn up out of the blue, looks like a gangster, he has a .44 magnum that does 9k damage to help you, theres another one called Sandman, which gives you extra XP if you kill people that are asleep!

Its a great game tbh. :)

Art Blade

I love the perk that lets enemies explode in a gut-churning eye-ball strewn paste  ;D ;D ;D

spaceboy

Well I do respect your guys opinions, I may have to give FO3 another chance!  When I get a chance later tonight, I'll split this thread so we can have an FO3 off topic.  Time is tight right now...

Fiach

That perk is called Bloody Mess (desc. By some strange twist of fate, people around you die violently. You always see the worst way a person can die. ).

It also gives you a bonus of 5% extra damage, but ..... it will impar your progress in the "You gotta shoot them in the head" quest, as some of the kills may not count as head shots, because other body parts get destroyed too.

JRD

As spaceboy suggested, I've split this discussion about Fall Out 3 into a new specific topic.
We can continue here to talk about that game... which I might play one of these days ;)

Art Blade

there are buddies too, JRD :) Even a dog.

JRD

And what about the endings?
I've read the story branches so much that you can have hundreds of ends... but are they that different?
I mean, if you choose to play like each-man-for-himself and help only those that you can take any profit from and, on another playthrough, you play as a good samaritan guy... does the story changes and adapt or only a few small details are different.....
I don't mind spoilers, so if you want to give me details on your experience, go ahead!!

I know I can trust the opinion of the members here....  :-X

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on May 11, 2009, 04:49:56 PM
As spaceboy suggested, I've split this discussion about Fall Out 3 into a new specific topic.
We can continue here to talk about that game... which I might play one of these days ;)

Thanks bud!  Always a friendly helping hand at OWG  :-X

Fiach

I think there are three endings, they were "final" like Heart of Darkness, but the latest DLC called Broken Steel has changed that, you can continue after the ending, with a few more quests and perks and a raised level cap.

You can hae I think 3 friends, one at a time, but you can change at will. Each one has a karma value, Good, Neutral and Evil, they are all very good additions, with their own quests.

You can rescue a dog and he will become your companion too (plus one other), he will also help you fight, alot of people dont like the dog, because he dies too easily, but I never had a problem. If he does die, he will resurrect after a period of one week game time, which you can fast forward, as in FC2.

There is a new perk that allows the dog to have pups, not sure how it is implemented yet, I think if the dog dies, you get a pup to replace him immediately or something like that.

Tags:
🡱 🡳