Lol of the week

Started by deadman1, May 19, 2011, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

This made me go   ??? not to be disrespectful towards our US members, but give me a break  ::)

WBTV Portal 2 Controversy

Art Blade

In the end the adopted fatty ("you") defeats the insulting AI (Wheatley) who was created to be a role model of the most stupid mind.

It is silly to go public about a tasteless joke in a video game and treat it as if it was an explicit and graphic example of raping a child.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

I think at 10 years old, they should not have been avoiding talking about her being adopted for this long.  It almost seems like by not talking about it makes it feel like something is wrong with it.  By not talking about this clearly obvious fact it could easily make the child feel like it is shameful and not to be discussed.  I don't know the "right" time, but by 10 it seems it should have been done.   Lots of adoptive parents embrace their child's natural history and culture and make it part of their lives.

Obviously the game has this type of "rude" humor throughout it.  GLaDOS and Wheatley do try to kill Chell afterall.  Not to mention the whole jokes about old test subjects dying, or basically using homeless people as cheap testing labor.  I suppose all of that is ok?  I think the guy just got caught with the fact they've been unsure how to address an issue that should have been addressed.  The taunts are ludicrous in nature just like the rest of the dialogue.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

spaceboy

..and of course the media eats this stuff up

fragger

Absolutely, space, they do eat it up. Just listen to the self-righteous clucking tones of those three anchor persons - great arbiters of social consciousness who I'm sure are each and every one themselves a paragon of integrity and morality. They're in the news media, so they must be beyond reproach, right? Yeah, right... ::)

And I could not agree more with your views regarding the girl's upbringing and the way her adoption has been handled by her parents - How To Create A Taboo In Your Child's Mind And Give Her A Complex 101.

I don't know which is the more ludicrous - the father blaming a software company for his own blundering approach to his daughter's upbringing or those three bleating holier-than-thou media clowns.

mmosu

Did you notice how comments and the "like/dislike" buttons have been disabled for that video?  That news station is clearly not interested in the viewer feedback.  Another example of the media making utter baffoons of themselves by not doing their homework, and taking isolated snippets out of context! 

Art Blade

The producer did block interactions but at the time released this vid which includes quoting e-mails form people who voiced their thoughts which are basically the same as what we did:

Reaction to Portal 2 Controversy
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Meh . . . back-pedaling now I see, too little too late morons  :-D  I like how they cut the clip off right before GLaDOS comes back with "And . . . what exactly is wrong with being adopted?!"

spaceboy

It's one thing to be slightly uncomfortable about something in your own home and quite another for you to call the media and make a spectacle of yourself.  I can tell you before I run screaming to the hills crying foul I'll take a good hard look at myself and try to understand why I'm feeling so uncomfortable. 

Art Blade

All the above is based on the assumption that we're talking about human beings with at least average social and intellectual skills. This particular individual, however, might not have been so lucky and was spared, generously spared, when mental RAM and brain CPU power were distributed. Not his fault, but anyway. He's just a magnificent specimen of the average cable TV audience which enjoy stories like his own because now they again have something outrageous to be mad at, to shout about and to shake their fists in the air. Those are the potential target audience that, in the end, pay the producer's salary.

And then they'll buy the video game, too, because it's cool. That bloke said so himself, didn't he.

mmosu

Slight conflict of interests, don't you think?
"That game insulted my family . . . but it's still cool"  :-D

Binnatics

Lol, and LOL!!!! How can these people take themself serious  ^+-+
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳