multiplayer fun

Started by spaceboy, May 21, 2010, 08:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

"I'm not here to kill you"

The words were welcome as I had been at Pike's Basin by myself in free roam hunkered behind a rock on high ground trying to take out the middle camp of NPCs.  I had seen the green dot appear a ways off, at McFarlane's, and steadily come towards me.  While I didn't know if he'd be friend or foe I had my hands full already so I couldn't worry about it.

The mate joined in the fight, and we wound up clearing out all 3 camps, destroying the crates.  We moved on to a gang hideout and took it over with relative ease.  I caught on fire from a molotov from the last bandit and my posse mate got my revenge for me by taking him out.  It was at that point when we both were happy to see some actual horses respond to our whistles.  Ahh - no more donkey!   That damn mule kept running away from me - he'd come by the whistle and then keep trotting away  >:(

Eventually we headed into Armadillo and started up with the locals.  As our Bountys grew so did our posse, more players kept joining, some in other posses, before long the whole town was in massive firefight, 3 different posses, NPCs, hell even a cougar claimed a poor soul in the outskirts of town.

Damn good time.  8)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

nice report, space  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

That's the beauty of the free roam in RDR. It's not like GTA IV where all you can do is basically drive around and kill other players/police. RDR gives you a lot more choices in what to do with other players, so in return you dont have as many people running around senselessly killing other players like in GTA since its rewarding to help fellow players to gain experience. Also i've found the community in RDR seem quite polite, and it's easy to befriend other players/create posses. I've yet to go hunting in free roam, but i'm sure that is quite fun as well.

spaceboy

had another GREAT time online last night.  I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.  One of the same guys from the other night plus a new guy and I did the same kind of stuff but this time things got funny.   We were jumping/riding off cliffs, we stole a stagecoach and tried to drive it across a train bridge with hazardous consequences.  I kept getting attacked by cougars, wolves, and even run over by horses.  I was stopping to pick wildflowers for the survivalist challenge. We were shooting each other's horses (you can just whistle for a new one).  One guy did that as I was piloting my horse down a hill and I went rolling the rest of the way down. lol

After one gang hideout we got into a shoving/punching match.  It was hilarious.  Good times.  Good times.

batdog

If only I could get onto multiplayer.  I've played about half an hour free roam in total. Either I can't get online or if I do I get about five or ten minutes in before the connection drops with some generic Alert message saying that there were issues with other players connections.

Trawling through the forums this seems to be a common problem (across both Xbox 360 and PS3).  Either the servers are struggling with the demand (it was released in Europe on Friday) or there's some other coding issue.  Apparently they've already patched it to correct the problem but it's still the same for me and many others.  I did have a similar issue with GTA IV multiplayer which was something to do with my router or NAT settings being too strict.  But that only happened after a few months of playing online.

Here's hoping it'll get sorted over the next week or so.  In the meantime I'll have to divide my time between single player RDR and JC2 (oh and trying to complete Fuel, Mercenaries 2, Burnout: Paradise City, FC2 (again), Crackdown (again) etc, etc.)

spaceboy

That's too bad - I was on for several hours on Saturday.  Couldn't connect in FUEL though earlier in the night --aargh. 

Our latest adventure consisted of us storming a certain fort that had several cannons.  We saw on the map there was a posse of two at this location so we transported there and just attacked.  They were pretty high ranks, were good shots, had the sniper rifles, plus the cannons of course.  Eventually we overwhelmed them (we had 4 guys at first but ended with 5 when a friend joined) and took the fort. 

Then others joined but they kept fighting each other as well as us so we held off pretty good for awhile.  Finally the two main guys left for another place on the map....so we followed them there  ;D  But they transported away pretty quickly so we left them alone.

tehsam016

Possees are always fun :). I usually just try to go to any hideout someone is attacking just to help them. I hardly ever shoot anybody else unless provoked of course =P. Gang hideouts are probably one of the best ways to gain xp as well, so it's a win/win :).

spaceboy

Although the wild west is in fact a danerous place I don't just go shooting anybody either.  If someone is alone I won't try to shoot them (I'd rather recruit them to join our posse).  One guy was in Pike's Basin and a friend and I went over to help and he shot us despite me saying we were friendly and there to help.  He killed me again, and then it was "on".  Even if he couldn't hear my mic the fact I didn't retaliate until being shot twice should have been a clue.  We kind of left him alone and went off toward another crate and he went to the other one. 

The first time we ever started a fight was the one at the fort.  I fired the first shot too.  We just needed some action - and afterall there were two of them in a posse.  Fair game I guess.  Like I said we did wind up leaving them alone.

Earlier there was lone guy that started shooting one of our posse and we were telling him not to shoot and join us (we were heading to a hideout).  He did and joined our posse and it was good to have him along.

PZ

I've good news and bad (for me).  The bad news is that like all the other online games. I can't log into the MP servers properly.  The good news - I can join private games for some reason.  My son purchased RDR yesterday and just for kicks, we tried to start a private game, and it worked on my end!  However, when we tried to do the same with the public servers - no joy - even after several tries.

Art Blade

is there a limit to private players? like, only two or more...? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

I believe the same player limit applies to private servers (16 i think).

PZ

I guess it depends on how the private sessions w@&k, but I can send invitations to anyone in my PlayStation friends list.

Art Blade

Thanks for the info :)

@PZ: Well then, like that you'll be able to enjoy MP with friends only, something I'd prefer to "free for all," and at least you're no longer limited to SP :)

PZ

Indeed - the advantages in RDR MP are great - I even played a few MP gang hideouts as a single player and it worked great, although it was difficult clearing out the gangs by myself.  ;D

The nice part is that even when playing MP alone, I still collect things and advance my levels.  I remember lamenting the absence of people in the FarCry2 MP maps (when playing alone, locally) - this is not an issue in RDR maps!

Art Blade

If you want to "horse around" and enjoy some silly stuff... here ya go  ;D

[smg id=2394 type=av]

tehsam016

Wow hilarious vid lol. Me and my friend have done stuff like that. It's oddly satisfying knocking someone down only to see them slide off a huge cliff nearby :).

Art Blade

Just needed to watch it again so I could hear the infectious laughter and giggles again.. makes me laugh, too  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳