Dogmeat

Started by PZ, October 26, 2009, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I remember the robot episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but I don't remember the Twilight Zone one.

@Fiach: Yeah, VttBotS was a fun show, I too loved that as a kid!

@Ricamundo: The robot was only in one episode of VttBots. Btw, re: Lost in Space, do you mean the Robinson's robot, that was in every episode, or another one? Because I remember an episode of LiS where "the" robot had a fight with "Robby" the robot, of Forbidden Planet fame. That is, one guy in a robot suit fighting with another guy in a robot suit ;D

PZ

Yes, the robot was in only one episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - don't remember the exact details, but the crew found the robot somehow and it turned out to be a diabolical machine that tried to sink the sub or something like that.  I believe it was also used in a single episode of Lost in Space as well - one of the black/white ones if I recall correctly.

The Twilight Zone episode is a funny one - Barbara (the niece) takes care of the old man (Simon) only because she is expecting to get an inheritance.  She hates him and can't wait for him to die.  She was not aware that Simon was creating a robot that contained his abrasive personality, and the stipulation in his will was that she take care of the robot forever.  Naturally she was horrified to learn that in order for the inheritance to come through, her life of slavery would continue forever.

Fiach

Yes its DLC called Mothership Zeta I think, I havent played it or OA.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

I'm still toiling my way through the wasteland and am just beginning to get into DC.  Just prior to walking toward DC, I was in a small town full of very friendly people - the most friendly I have seen yet.  Evidently they were cannibals that gave themselves away when one of the women said in closing after inane chit-chat: "...so nice to met you and I can wait to prepare you for dinner!".  Naturally I pulled out the power fist and dismembered her and her husband with Rocky Balboa knocks to the head.  Afterward, I searched the husband and found a key to his basement door - went in and found a Texas Chainsaw style butcher shop - many dead bodies of wastelanders and "unknown meat" in the refrigerators.

Met the leader of the brotherhood at the Citadel, and he basically told me to get lost when I asked him to teach me how to use the brotherhood armor.

Still have not found the junk yard to get my dog  :'(

Ricamundo

Has anyone played Mothership Zeta? Man i am so lost, i have NO clue here... :D Im in the engineering area, which has the doors to the Robot assembly, Hanger, and cryo areas off of it. All my compatriates have disappeared somewhere. ive blown up the generators in the 3 areas already, and done the spacewalk, and now im supposed to defeat the Alien Captain, but i have no idea where he is. Im guessing he's on the bridge, but i havent found that level either. TBH, the walkie ive been reading isnt much help to my addled brain. Oh, i miss the wide open wasteland! :-\
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Not me, and I probably won't based on your description - don't like feeling like a rat in a maze - give me the open world any time  :-X

Fiach

yeah MZ was a fail for me. may as well play pacman as run around in a maze there.

Ricamundo

OK, after scanning several different walkies, and some more exploration, i found the Death Ray chamber, destroyed it, and found my way to the bridge, where i had to kill a multitude of lil greenies, and finally the gang i'd released from the cells re-joined me. Now all i have to do is figure out how to get off that damned ship, and back to the wastes where i feel more comfy ;D One good thing about this mod is all the cool alien weapons and artifacts that i can sell back at Megaton. 8)

Interestingly, i was reading about the various DLC games at the bethesda forums, and the Mothership Zeta mod was overwhelmingly mentioned as the worst of the 5.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Good to know - thanks for posting about this part of the DLC, Ric

Fiach

Totally deserved IMO, it's really a game that has to be savoured, instead of rushed through, there is just so much content in there.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Fiach on November 04, 2009, 12:41:47 AM
Totally deserved IMO, it's really a game that has to be savoured, instead of rushed through, there is just so much content in there.

I absolutly agree. The detail is massive. There's just so much you can do, if you linger in an area, and talk with all the NPC's. I haven't even scratched the surface of different characters and all that, and i may not bother with that RPG aspect.

This is kinda like FC2 with benefits. Same gi-normous open world, but more missions, more variety, more weapons, more loot, more things to do and places to explore. Thank jeebus someone @ Bethesda decided to make first person perspective available in FO3, otherwise i'd have never played it.

One last thing about Mothership Zeta.. I would say to play it once, if for no other reason than to get the loot in there that you can sell on the outside. I picked up all kinds of goodies in there, as well as a couple of unique weapons that apparently are not found anywhere else. Rivet City, and the Enclave Base have direction signs, but MZ has no signage, so you're kinda left to find your own way around.

One question about the DLC stuff in general. I've only played 2 of the 5, but they are both so different than the FO3 vanilla game, which is open and very non linear. MZ is a maze, and Ankorage is basically a linear style corridor shooter. Nowt wrong with that, but it's almost as if the peeps that did the DLC never had anything to do with the vanilla game. Are the other 3 like these?

Fiach

Point Lookout is different, the first guy you meet in the mansion is just awesome, not saying anything else, its just great DLC.

Broken Steel is very good, some great battles at the base, its more plot driven I guess than other stuff.

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on November 04, 2009, 04:15:55 AM
... This is kinda like FC2 with benefits...

This was exactly my thought as I was working my way through the waste land.  For those of you that have not played FO3, imagine being able to have two-way conversations with the FarCry 2 characters, accepting a multitude of missions all at the same time, and doing everything in the order in which you like to do them, just like in FC2.  What is missing is the beauty of the FC2 world, and the fast-paced action you receive at every GP.  The pace in FO3 is slow, and you have the option of talking with people (or not) which changes how you play the game.  For instance, the interaction I had with the cannibals I mentioned in an earlier post - would never have known what they were up to if I had not visited them and had the conversation that led me to realize that I should kill these seemingly harmless folks.

I've also been checking around the 'net a bit and realize that there are many mods available, some that change the game mechanics quite a bit.  I only wish that you could find a vehicle to hop into rather than need to walk to each location.  ;D

Fiach

But if you had a car, would you interact with the locals that you meet between destinations?

In Borderlands (kinda like FO3), I use the buggy for squishing or nuking stuff, if there was one in FO3, I would probably use it fr the same thing. :)

Useless fact : The cars in FO3 are actually based on real life concept cars that were designed in the 50's.

Ricamundo

Speaking of the cars, do not hide behind a car in a firefight. if its hit a few times, it'll blow up and take you with it. As i was walking towards Vault 92, i was thinking a dirt bike would w@&k well on the terrain in the wasteland, odd that it wasnt included, although, the more you stop and talk to NPC's the morew missons you can get.

Right now i've retrieved a valuable Stradavarius violin, and also picking up a stash of Nuka Quantums for another mish.

There definately are firefights to be had, PZ, just look for the Enclave posts here and there; 3 or 4 heavily armed grunts and an Officer at each mini outpost, usually set up on a road.

Fiach

My advice, keep the quantums, also take her stash too of the std nukas, that girls boyfriend has a nice shotgun too ;)

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on November 04, 2009, 08:44:18 AM
But if you had a car, would you interact with the locals that you meet between destinations?

In Borderlands (kinda like FO3), I use the buggy for squishing or nuking stuff, if there was one in FO3, I would probably use it fr the same thing. :)

Useless fact : The cars in FO3 are actually based on real life concept cars that were designed in the 50's.

You're correct - I'd probably not interact nearly as much, but I'm too lazy to walk!  ;D

I'd actually like to be able to travel faster than I do now, so even a slow vehicle would be nice due to the sometimes long walks between areas.  It would be really cool to have some kind of personal aircraft  ;)

I noticed a field of Edsels in one place, but that is an interesting factoid that those are concept cars  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on November 04, 2009, 11:34:00 AM
I'd actually like to be able to travel faster than I do now

if you are small with small legs, you make small steps. hence travel slowly. If you were tall, I mean really tall... check the cheats... change your size for the time walking :) Careful, your feet might get stuck in dead-end streets  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Cool - never thought of that one  :-X

EDIT: would I have to stoop down to fit through doors or inside tunnels/buildings?  ;D

Art Blade

yeah, you've got to make yourself fit in :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

I need one more Quantum to complete the challenge. BTW i have the ability to convert regular nukas into Quantums when i collect 10 bottles, but i thought i could be clever and use the ice cold ones out of my personal vending machine, but for some reason, those seem to be in a different catagory that regular ones as they stash seperately in my pipboy list. ::)

BTW has there been any thought to giving FO3 it's own forum? I know its not strictly a shooter, but thats the way im playing it, as well, ill prolly be playing this for a while yet, PZ too, so this thread's going to get stretched out a bit. ;)

Fiach

Quote from: Ricamundo on November 04, 2009, 01:27:06 PM
I need one more Quantum to complete the challenge. BTW i have the ability to convert regular nukas into Quantums when i collect 10 bottles, but i thought i could be clever and use the ice cold ones out of my personal vending machine, but for some reason, those seem to be in a different catagory that regular ones as they stash seperately in my pipboy list. ::)

*sigh, nobody ever reads my posts :(  :'(  :P

PZ

I do, Fiach!   ;D... but I'm becoming forgetful in my old age at times!  :-X

Art Blade

Fiach, I do read them, and I know that feeling...  :)

deadman1

Quote from: Ricamundo on November 04, 2009, 10:29:30 AM
Speaking of the cars, do not hide behind a car in a firefight. if its hit a few times, it'll blow up and take you with it. As i was walking towards Vault 92, i was thinking a dirt bike would w@&k well on the terrain in the wasteland, odd that it wasnt included, although, the more you stop and talk to NPC's the morew missons you can get.

Right now i've retrieved a valuable Stradavarius violin, and also picking up a stash of Nuka Quantums for another mish.

There definately are firefights to be had, PZ, just look for the Enclave posts here and there; 3 or 4 heavily armed grunts and an Officer at each mini outpost, usually set up on a road.

Don´t forget those little pets the Enclave keeps at some of their outposts (forgot the name again)  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳