Hooked on FO3

Started by Ricamundo, October 23, 2009, 04:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

haha, now that you mention it!  ;D

Ricamundo

Any recommendations on the Lands or Quest mods? I've been keeping busy with just exploring the map, anf grabbing loot, then delivering Fingers, Quantums, Scrap metal, and pre-War books for caps, but avoiding the MQ, or the DLC's for now.

BTW thx for the help with that gun mod, but ive decided not to bother trying to make it w@&k as ive already got a locker jammed with weapons im not using, as i prefer to travel light so i can carry more loot. My must have weapons are the .50 Cal sniper, Art's 2 .44's, Gatling Laser, Flamer, M79 GL, and Big       Boom.

Yesterday, Charon and I liberated the slaves @ Evergreen Mills, and cleared out the Talon Mercs @ Fort Constantine, and guess who showed up, but Dogmeat...again! Still evil, and still impossible to kill, so we had to fast travel outta there. I don't know who is more annoying; Dogmeat, or that Megaton resident (Black female) who keep stalking me, and thanking me for not blowing up Megaton, and saying, "we got together and got you this.." a stimpak, a few caps, a Rad away, etc. Argh! I use Megaton as my main base, since there's 2 arms dealers to sell my junk to, so im in there a lot, and now im peeking around corners to see if that damn woman is near. >:(
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Although I've briefly explored lands and quests, I've not spent too much time with them, but Rockville is one that looks promising - it has sounds, nes NPCs, quests, etc.  There is another one called Shady Sands but it seems to conflict with other mods in some cases.  If you do any of them, I'd recommend continuing with FO3Edit and applying a filter to see conflicts and then adjust the load order to avoid them.

Typically a conflict is where a mod provides the same content as the fallout.esm master.  Also typically, this is what you want to happen because the mod is supplying content that you want to replace in the plain vanilla game.  Problems arise however if there are fatal conflicts which result in crashes.

I too find that woman extremely annoying, and have been tempted to kill her or perhaps recruit her with the companions mod.

Ricamundo

Thx for the info PZ, but i already have Rockville Commons. It is a fun one btw. I was in the Arlington Cemetary today with Charon, and Dogmeat showed up again! man what a stupid bug. Now i wish we hadn't gone near that scrapyard, because he's been following us ever since. I also cleared out Mama Dolce's, which i couldn't find my first playthru, so 2 totally new to me areas today, sweet. 8)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

ArtMod -- dogmeat/Charon -- sibling rivalries

What I don't understand is when exactly dogmeat behaves strangely. I've only encountered that behaviour once, for some reason, when I sent him to vault 101, he got mad at Charon.

The solution for that would be to tell dogmeat to wait rather than to go to vault 101. Or, tell charon to wait, walk away with dogmeat a bit, then send dogmeat to 101, go back and pick up charon.

If that dog is left alone waiting too long, he'll eventually walk back to 101 on his own. Once there, you shouldn't have any difficulty with him. In case you do, or in case you expect to, tell charon to wait somewhere near 101, pick up dogmeat, and return to charon, tell him to follow, too. Like that, you cannot have difficulties.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interestingly, I managed to "complete" the game after just a couple of hours - I did the "Following in his footsteps" mission which takes me down the path that my father took, and before I knew it, I was ending the game!

I had not completed hardly any of the other quests, so this was a complete surprise to me.  Oh well, now I get to start an earlier save and go again on all the quests that I did not do the first time around.

Fiach

Yeah, I saw alot of people complain about FO3 being short, they didnt realise the talking to people gave you side quests and reasons to explore the map.

Some games I think instead of reading the instruction manuals, some players just go to gamefaqs, look at the list of achievements and how to obtain them and just play from that premise.

On saying that I seldom read instruction manuals, I think its because I remember the days, when the manuals were as important as the games and were great meaty tomes, compared to the current crop of 2-3 pages ala CoD. But they were actually worth reading, where apart from the control system, they provided more depth and immersion for the game too.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

retiredgord

Well add another to the list of "Hooked On". I was not able to save the game from Texas and I've started anew. That's ok as I'm getting much info on here that I did not have before. I still play the whole area. This second time out I'm able to bring some of the knowledge that others have posted  and feel I will achieve more as well as my character staying healthier and with more ammo. A couple of times I was down to the sledge as a weapon. Well at least my batting practice from Vault 101 comes in handy. As the game progresses I should be able to complete a mission or two with less problems. Oh hell, that's what makes the game great..problems and problems and enemies galore. I wish my desk top could be upgrades so I could  do some screen shots. Another Christmas wish I guess.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Enjoy it Gord, and let us know how it goes - I actually blasted through the game a bit too fast because I followed my father's trail - now I'm back in doing lots of side things and just basically exploring the countryside.

Ricamundo

Hey Gord, welcome back to god's country. ;) How are ya doing, re earning caps? Don't underestimate the value of all the junk lying around out there. even booze, ciggies, and chems bring in a healthy return when you add em up, then, you can see Moira, or any wandering scavenger in the wastes, and sell a few things for caps, or trade for a better weapon. When you Level Up, concentrate your skill points in Repair, Lockpick, and Medecine, with Barter and small guns up there too. The perks can also help your skills.

Once your repair skill is up a bit, grab at least 2 copies of the same weapon, and in your Pipboy, press "R". You get a better more reliable weapon, and you're carrying less weight, which is critcal when you're trying to scaveng         e.

@ Level 27, ive earned 55,000 caps. ;D Im going for a 100,000 this playthru, and i see little problem in reaching it, since i still have many un discovered locations, as well as the DLC stuff.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on December 08, 2009, 01:57:04 AM
Yeah, I saw alot of people complain about FO3 being short, they didnt realise the talking to people gave you side quests and reasons to explore the map...

That's too bad really, because I'd done some of the other things on many different partial plays through as I was developing my list of favorite mods.  There is a huge amount of content, but because it is so open ended, you can choose a path on which you travel the fast path to the ending, not even realizing that you've missed most of the game's potential.  I'm sure that I'll play through lots of times to get all of it done, and I've not even started any of the DLC yet.

Ricamundo

Well i did the Operation Anchorage DLC today. it's fairly short, say 3 or 4 hours, and lots of fun. 8) it's a sim within a sim, kinda like the one where you have to entewr a chamber to rescue your Father, but this one pits the good ole u S of A agin those narsty Chinese. Quite linear in feel, similar to Mothership Zeta in that when a baddie dies, he and his weapon vapourize. Health and ammo are taken care of the MP way with stations located here and there. OA has some nice classic corridor shooter thrown in too. Good fun.

Ricamundo

[smg id=1780][smg id=1779]  I was up near the robot factory, when this large group of travellers walked by. I'd never seen so mnay at once. It had to be 20-30. Shame it was so dark, so you really cant see just how many were there.

Art Blade

Nice :) Merchandise on two legs -- shoot them, count them, loot them  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on December 12, 2009, 02:49:09 PM
Nice :) Merchandise on two legs -- shoot them, count them, loot them  ;D

Meh, i've looted dead travellers before, not killed by me, and they usually don't have much, although there was this scavenger near Rockville Commons, killed by a deathclaw, i think, who had all kinds of goodies. 8) One benefit of one of my installed mods(Respawn6Hours) is that i can kill a bunch of Mutes, and loot the bodies, go and sleep for 7 hrs, in a nearby shed, then come out and kill em all again, and get another set of guns n ammo. Nice. 8)

It's hard to find enough gun dealers and scavengers that have enough caps to buy all my loot tho. Most of em have less than 300 caps at any one time, except for good old George, the dealer in the Expanded Megaton mod, who often has 900 or so. I think im pretty close to 75,000 caps now, and no i didnt use a cap cheat. ;D

PZ

I have to snicker a bit when I think of all the whiners on the Ubi forum that complained about FC2 re-spawn rate - here we are playing FO3 and we install mods to purposefully increase the re-spawn  ;D

I use the 6 hour re-spawn rate myself because when I don't have it, the world suddenly becomes a lonely place.

Art Blade

fragger

I can't believe that people whined about the respawning in FC2 - would they rather rattle around in an empty, boring world with no enemies to fight with? Not me, I like my action ;D

retiredgord

Personally I'm glad that I finished the Fire Ant mission and killed the queen and the Dr. I like entering different places and just having to off the other mutants. By the way I had used up most of my ammo and finished her off by using a weapon called the Ripper that I  had found by entering the subways somewhere near Arlington. It's like a hand held chain-saw but no need to worry about replenishing energy.  It must run on Energizers lol. Any I've nearly a thousand caps and met Moira and undertaken the mine missions, when I'm not off in some weird other place.
  I'd like to publish a rough story but I'm getting intimidated by the fast changes being made here. I'll keep re-reading how and maybe one day get a story written. Geez this is more fun than a person shopuld be able to enjoy.

Art Blade

don't worry about fast changes here. If you are referring to articles and MemberSpace, you can try that or, if it suits you more, keep doing what you liked to do. Just write a topic or post, and no harm done. We all enjoy your stories, no matter where you post them :)

At least as long as we haven't figured out how to inflict physical punishment for disobedience and disorderly posts. ;D

PZ

I wholeheartedly agree - go ahead and post your stories Gord, if you'd like to - personally, I enjoy reading about your experiences because it usually gives me ideas, just like with the FC2 stories.

Ricamundo

Absolutely, Gord, just tell us a tale right here. Im really interested to hear them. 8) BTW, what level are you atm? There are some tips posted about where to place those points, that will help you a lot in the game.

PZ

Still hooked on FO3...

I visit the nexus site nearly every day and find interesting mods to try, which keeps the game new and fresh - particularly now that I kind of know how to arrange the mods so that nothing interferes.  For instance, near the Super Duper Mart, there is a freeway overpass that is partially collapsed - nothing remarkable about that area, but someone modified that cell to include a player house that partially serves as a sniper platform - you can now go to that area and have a completely different experience when attacking the Super Duper Mart.

Having the ability to add modifications like this really makes me lament the fact that Ubi never released a software development kit for Far Cry 2 - I imagine having the ability to create new single player maps, add vehicles, buildings, create new missions, characters, etc - I'd probably never stop playing the game  ;)

retiredgord

Ricamundo..I noticed recently that I was at over 7k of data..if that means anything. Recently I've been busy just wandering around looking for Bobbleheads and Keller tapes. I'm more than 150 hrs playtime and I find I can't wait to get back into the game. I'm glad I'm retired cuz otherwise I'd hafta pull seniority on my son who is deeply into (and enjoying) Uncharted 2.  >:(
  By the way how does one get into the bunker (Col Autumn) area? Is it only accessible by one of the later quests or can you get in just wandering about.
By the way nukcola greanades are great against a group of Super Mutants but especially against those vile Centaurs. :D :D :D
     Also I'm wandering about trying to get bobby pins. It's too bad the devos didn't set up the player to be able to make these. After all, there's quite a lot of scrap metal out there. I'm still have large, clumsy fingers when trying to pick the locks and there is lotsa stuff I'm trying to get. :D :D :D
  As for a story I'm gonna do a brief synopsis of my quest for Moira.  She is a character that I can really do a story about.  Please be patient as I gotta go back over my randomly written notes. This reminds me of school..Essay WTF do I hafta do an essay?  lol :) :) ;D

Art Blade

Glad you're enjoying it so much :) Don't worry about your essay (hehe, the word alone reminds me of school, too, and the phrase "brief summary" lol) take your time.

Not sure about that bunker, sounds like the endgame thing.

Tags:
🡱 🡳