Portal 2

Started by mmosu, March 16, 2011, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Binnatics

Well, we are a hotty again, haha! And Aperture didn't loose his way of testing either, haha, not loosing expensive equipment ;)

Can't wait til it's going down. Hope there is some sort of team-coop idea. Anyway, it looks like fun!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

"We're between banks here, just make those checks out to cash" ^+-+ :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

PS3'ers and PC'ers should read this (space, this means you):
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1161617p1.html

PZ

My goodness.... Steam on the console  ????

mmosu

Yeah.  They make it sound so positive, but all I know about Steam is what I learned from you all on here, so to say I'm a tad concerned would be an understatement . . .

spaceboy

my main concern about Steam from reading here had been my natural propensity to prefer discs vs. download only (an ownership hangup I guess - plus those discs are so shiny and pretty!!) and also the potential need to be connected to the net.

I must say as a developer Valve has an extremely positive rep so that is good.  Portal was wonderful and P2 looks even better.  I'm very excited about the cross-platform play as well, so I've got no complaints about what Valve/Steam is doing here.  It's quite revolutionary from the cross-platform play standpoint.

Anyways, from our standpoint (PS3) we're only benefiting, and even getting a free PC copy.  I hope it's not akin to taking candy from the "nice man", but I don't have too many concerns about Steam taking control - Sony has a bit of a control thing it likes so I doubt they'll relinquish much  ;)

http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

I'd not want to give up my shiny disc for Steam downloads even if I did get a free PC version - my connection is too slow as it is, and if I had to download two versions of a game I'd consume my bandwidth allotment for the month  :'(

When you exceed your allotment, the satellite provider has the nerve to punish you by restricting your bandwidth to dialup-level throughput.  Talk about slow and slower (reminds me of dumb and dumber)

mmosu

Quote from: spaceboy on April 13, 2011, 07:34:27 PM
Sony has a bit of a control thing it likes so I doubt they'll relinquish much  ;)

Well, I suppose that's true.  I've just heard PC'ers on here complain about Steam in the past.  The "free" PC version is a neat idea, but I seriously doubt my clunky old laptop will be able to rock it  :'(

Binnatics

I think it's great news as well. First real-link between PS3 and PC, that's great. And those pics I see around of Portal 2 make it all even better to me.
I did download it through steam dispite of my preference of shiny discs that I can hold. I'm just too damn excited for the game, and I seem to trust more and more in Valve/steamworks as a trustfull organisation.
Maybe you'll be able to donate your PC-version to a friend, since Steam makes that possible. You can enjoy your PS3 version and compete with your PC-using friend for free!

And don't forget about the Aperture motto: They're doing it because they can ;)

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

Quote from: Binnatics on April 14, 2011, 01:51:49 PM
And don't forget about the Aperture motto: They're doing it because they can ;)

^+-+
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it like that!

fragger

I pre-ordered my copy today from a local gaming shop - got to have disk :-() Of course I'll still have to go through the Steam rego and activation process, and if they're true to form I'll probably get hit with an online update off the bat. If so, considering the "speed" of my connection I might get to play the game the day after I buy it ::)

Release date in Oz is 21st April so I'll only be a couple of days behind you guys this time (he says with crossed fingers).

Art Blade

Let's just hope the disc contains more than a redeem code that allows you to download those 5 gigs of game data plus 3 gigs of updates..  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I am pre-downloading it now, the official release date here is 19th of april  :)

But I think I will not be able to start that day, i'm bussy then, so I'll have to wait until 20  :(

Binnatics

We should definitely try the coop version of the game. That sounds great, they say you really have to think as a team, and w%&k together as a team. Wondering what portals are used for in team-strategies.
I can think of some things,   :ideas like having to unblock the path of your teammate, or maybe you can somehow merge two orange portals? That would be amazing :shocked

fragger

@ Art: don't even joke about it :-()

@ Binnatics: Co-op sounds intriguing, but my connection isn't up to the task, I fear. I'll have to be content to be a spectator :-() I'll be interested to hear in what ways SP differs from co-op though.

Binnatics

@ Art: What truly matters is the Jacket: We gamers do have our own Library, don't we ;)

@ Fragger: Just give it a try. Would be great. Somehow I guess online play won't need too much bandwidth.
Actually, I've allways been curious what they actually do send and recieve: Only some coordinates + vectors I think, and some extra data concerning the appearance of the other player. It should not be too much.
I hope you can make it. Especially steam should w@&k out a way of consuming less bandwith on online gaming.

spaceboy

It'll be cool to do some co-op with you guys.  I think the Steam overlay on PS3 will allow me to have and see Steam friends. So once I get setup we'll have to friend each other.  Definitely try it fragger, co-op in P2 won't be as taxing as a full on multiplayer shooter I bet.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

mmosu

Indeed, it shouldn't be too bad.  It would be fun, so far space if the only OWG member I've ever played online with (not that I don't treasure our time in the trenches on Helghan space  :-())

Quote from: Binnatics on April 15, 2011, 08:54:19 AM
I can think of some things,   :ideas like having to unblock the path of your teammate, or maybe you can somehow merge two orange portals? That would be amazing :shocked

I think the portals for the two players are always distinct:  "hot" colors for P-body (orange and red portals) and "cool" colors for Atlas (blue and green portals).  Some of the videos have shown different types of unblocking puzzles, but the coolest stuff I've seen so far have been some of the rediculous flings you can do with two players - like setting up an infinite fall to allow one player to reach terminal velocity, and then switching the "exit" portal to somewhere else so they come rocketing out of it, Wwweeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!  :-D

Binnatics

Woweeee, that would be great, haha!  :-X

I have a feeling that the new maps/puzzles are far bigger and more challenging in graphic beauty so that would be great to do!

I think this game will be much bigger then the original. I did a playthrough in one day, only did not complete any challenges yet.

Dweller_Benthos

I'd love to try coop on this, but the old dialup won't handle it I'm afraid   :D
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on April 15, 2011, 09:25:03 AM
@ Art: don't even joke about it :-()

now that made me laugh out loud ^+-+

Quote from: Binnatics on April 15, 2011, 09:51:48 AM
@ Art: What truly matters is the Jacket: We gamers do have our own Library, don't we ;)

not sure what "the Jacket" is.. and the Library.. ? ????

Binnatics

The box, the cover. I do have a little room saved in my library for my favourite games ;)

I will miss my Portal 2 cover there, but since it's a valve production I thought it would be okay to have it downloaded through steam ;)

Art Blade

got it. :) Yes.. I like my jewel cases and the shiny discs  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳