Far Cry Primal

Started by PZ, October 06, 2015, 05:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Watching the clip I think I will agree with one comment he made, calling the game a giant farm simulator   :D

OWGKID

Yeah and that system has been done in two games already...  :D
LEGACY

PZ

Well, something behind the scenes (their business model) stinks to me, and I hope it will  be a flop so Ubi will be forced to do the right thing rather than simply pump out as many versions of the same game as they can.  Although, I'm probably beating a dead mastodon here.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

After what fragger said, I have no need or desire to watch a Total Biscuit video, I had never heard of him before, and I think now I'll just avoid him in the future. I see one of the people who I do watch videos from, just a player, not a "critic" is doing a play through, so I'll watch his, and form my own opinion of the game.

I still doubt very much that I will be getting it though.

And as far as "things didn't exist back then" like crocodiles, as fragger mentioned, they've been around in some form or another for almost as long as life has existed on this planet. For everything else, the world of 12,000 years  ago wasn't really all that much different, as far as animals and such, than it is now. Aside from mammoths and some other large animals that have since gone extinct, if you found yourself there all of a sudden, you might not notice the difference, aside from the lack of human activity.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Evidently they are trying to do the same thing as some US car manufacturers, for example the:

Chevrolet Tahoe

and the:

GMC Yukon

Both essentially the same vehicle, produced by the same parent corporation.  The only difference is that Chevy and GMC aren't trying to sell both to the same customer and call it different like Ubi is.

OWGKID

LEGACY

fragger

That map thing, bloody hell ??? No wonder Ubi was able to push Primal out the door with such relative quickness ::)

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 02, 2016, 08:41:22 AM
...the world of 12,000 years  ago wasn't really all that much different, as far as animals and such, than it is now. Aside from mammoths and some other large animals that have since gone extinct, if you found yourself there all of a sudden, you might not notice the difference, aside from the lack of human activity.

Absolutely. 10,000 years seems a long time, but on a historical scale it's nothing much, and on a geological/evolutionary scale, it's a blink. And now you've done it D_B, you went and got me started...

It's entirely possible that you may find a great deal of civilization before that time. There is a relatively new school of thought, championed by "archeo-astronomers" like Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval, which posits there having been civilizations in existence, and of quite advanced natures, prior to 11,000 BC but which were devastated in some kind of world-wide catastrophe which has passed into the world's common store of folklore as "The Flood" or "The Deluge" - possibly the result of a planet-wide shift in the Earth's crust. The solid crust is exceedingly thin compared to the thickness of Earth, comparable to the skin of an apple compared to the apple's thickness, and this crust is basically floating on liquid, molten rock over a thousand miles deep, so I believe that such an idea is not tremendously outside the realm of possibility. A couple of potential triggering factors may have been a polarity shift in Earth's electromagnetic field, or an accumulation of too much ice at one of the poles causing a decentralization of the crust's stability in relation to the rotating Earth and causing it to shift to find a new equilibrium.

The Flood legend is a world-wide folkloric phenomenon. It doesn't just pop up in the Bible, it's in the mythology of every culture of sufficient antiquity (over 270 localized Flood legends are known to exist around the world, from cultures as diverse as Eskimos and Australian Aborigines) and a slippage of Earth's crust would indeed result in the effects reported in said mythologies: unimaginably devastating seismic and climactic upheavals, but especially flooding by tsunamis on a colossal scale. It would also leave a very lasting impression on humanity's collective psyche and racial memory. Hancock and Bauval go on to point out that this would explain why so many of the earliest civilizations that we know of appeared so abruptly and so closely together in time, with little or no apparent transitional or preceding developmental phases - they were not newly emerging cultures, they were re-emerging from a world-wide disaster and still with their knowledge mostly intact. It also explains why so many of them had so much in common. For instance (and there are numerous examples of this kind if thing in the world) a script was used on Easter Island which is an almost exact match for one used in the Indus Valley, two locations so far apart that they are almost diametrically opposite each other on the planet. The two scripts are way too much alike for coincidence, both are tens of thousands of years old, and they are about the oldest known forms of writing of any sort (the Indus Valley script dates back to between 1,900 to 3,500 BC, as far as can be determined. Note that this doesn't indicate when the script originated, only when it was most commonly used - nobody knows how far back in time its origin may be). Either the scripts originated from a common source, or it traveled with people from one location to the other. Either way, it makes a mockery of the idea of humans being primitive "cavemen" types living in small scattered groups in Stone Age isolation thousands of years BC.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/easterislandindusvalley.htm

Note that one of the characters in the linked-to page is a "swastika" - that's how old that particular symbol really is. It is not, as is commonly thought, strictly a "Nazi symbol", although they did use a tilted version of it. Millennia earlier it had found its way into Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism via Sanskrit, where it generally represented "auspiciousness".

Hancock and Bauval at often at loggerheads with orthodox academia for daring to question the "established wisdom". The problem is that the established wisdom in these areas of study is often nothing of the sort. There are small mountains of contradictory evidence which all too often gets swept under the rug or tossed into the "too hard" basket when it doesn't fit the established theory, stuff that indicates advanced knowledge of things that we have only rediscovered, or can match, in modern times - the Piri Reis maps, Dogon knowledge of the existence of the dwarf star Sirius B, parts of a millennia-old aluminum belt found in an ancient Chinese grave, a 3,000 year old steel dagger found in an Egyptian tomb, the advanced astronomical knowledge inherent in the layout of Stonehenge, the rustless Iron Pillar of Delhi, parts of ancient electric batteries found in a Baghdad museum, the Antikythera Mechanism, etc, etc, etc, not to mention all the megalithic buildings, architecture and statuary that we can't reproduce today without some pretty advanced, heavy-duty machinery (if at all - we still have absolutely no idea how the walls of Saksaywaman were built, and I'm inclined think that if people long ago could do something we can't, it might just mean they were cleverer than we are). This is just a tiny sampling - so much has been swept under the rug that the rug is now only about a foot from the ceiling. And that's just the physical stuff - there are even more hillocks of writings, documents, accounts, parchments, scrolls, tablets, stelae, stories, legends and myths that appear to be less like fanciful musings and more like embellished or distorted memories of things that once existed, like the "Vimanas" mentioned throughout Sanskrit epics such as the Mahabharata, to name just one example. To just blindly ignore all this stuff is to quite simply practice bad science. But there are reputations, egos, and grant money involved, plus the prospect of having to rewrite an awful lot of books and papers if the evidentiary trail of anomalies were to lead to a confronting new truth is not one that academia would relish, so.

Food for thought, at least. Here's a few book recommendations along these lines:

Fingerprints Of The Gods - Graham Hancock
The Orion Mystery - Robert Bauval
The Message Of The Sphinx - Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval

Binnatics

Ever since FC3 was released, pUkesoft is selling DLC as new games. This is just another proof. They really focus on the 12 year old gaming population ONLY. After last year's 12 year olds got bored of FC4, they release it again in a new suit, for this year's 12 year olds. Poor parents.  :angry-new:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

I guess the designers thought that recycling and editing the FC4 map would be enough for the game. From a technical standpoint it would make sense due to short development span (I guess the Montreal team had enough time between FC2 and 3 to rewrite the entire engine and design the game).

Same thing can be said for other franchises as well, CoD has become infamous for "recycling" over the years which culminated in CoD: Ghosts. Black Ops 3 does reuse elements to BO2 and introduced something new, like a new movement system and the Black Market case drops. Weapons are somewhat statistically similar to Black Ops II and they are pretty well balanced (thank God that Treyarch fixed the engine so physics are frame rate independent). But still, the game doesn't innovate that much, the Create-a-Class system hasn't changed much from CoD: BO2 ???? Maybe they don't know what to do since CaC has been the series trademark since CoD 4 ;)

I have NO IDEA how actual game design and development works, but it is pretty common that a game keeps some elements which will be used in future installments while others will be scrapped.
LEGACY

Binnatics

If you look at it that way, you can find an excuse for anything. I think it's cheap. They should've released it like they did with Blood Dragon. But they didn't. They want me to pay the full price for the game. I won't.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

There is always an excuse for everything if I'm right 8-X The game lacks a multiplayer so a 60$ tag doesn't justify this. Ubi being greedy again...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
This sums up FC Primal nicely...
LEGACY

PZ

This will be the first Far Cry game that I have no desire to purchase, even in the bargain basement.  :-\\

Art Blade

they really make me stay away.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

So far from the videos I've watched, there doesn't seem to be much to attract me. If you really liked using the bow & arrow in the previous FC games, then this is the one for you. I guess you can upgrade it, and eventually you learn how to make some kind of hand grenade or something, maybe a crossbow eventually, but it's that and melee combat, which leaves me cold. Other things are exact copies from FC4, certain movements, objects, textures, etc. It looks like the map is all new, and that is the only thing that intrigues me, the exploration of the new map, and the visuals, it does look really nice. But that graphic OWGKID posted pretty much exactly matches my thoughts on the game, from what I've seen so far.
D_B

fragger

Yeah, judging by that list of pros and cons, it looks like you'll pay for pretty graphics mainly. May as well just look at nice landscapes on Google Image. The cons all seem to refer to the actual gameplay.

I'd still be willing to at least give it a go if it wasn't for the price. Make it five bucks and I might consider it.

Dweller_Benthos

After watching a few more videos, FCP is pretty much the Shangir-la missions from FC4 only without the trippy landscapes. Oh, yeah, there is trippy drug use sessions, but you use them to learn to control the animals. But once you do that, it turns into the Shangri-la style. You have your bow, and a spirit animal, and you command the animal to go attack one guy while you shoot the other guy with your bow. That's pretty much the game so far that I've seen. You collect plants to make healing potions and stuff, and make new arrows and spears, club people upside the head, etc.

So, if you really liked the Shangri-la missions in FC4 this is the game for you. I didn't mind them, as a break from the guns in the main part of FC4, but an entire game of bow and arrow, no, I don't think so.
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 07, 2016, 10:00:22 AMclub people upside the head

Must be a British thing. Or the Brits still have it in them. In Manchester, that's how people date. Male fills up female with vodka, club her over the head with empty bottle, and drag her home.

PZ

I hated the Shangri-la missions. Disliked from the beginning, the first drug-induced haze I experienced in FC3 - had a feeling it was going to sour me on the series.

fragger

lol Art :laugh: "Welcome to the club" means something different in Manchester, apparently :-()

Drugged-out sequences appear to be becoming a thing with the FC series. Mass-dislike of such a thing, if it was made known, would have encouraged the devs to drop it, one would think. But since they haven't, I can only conclude that there must be a lot of people who enjoy it. Maybe because they're already on drugs when they play so they feel right at home, I dunno. There wasn't as much of that in FC4, whereas FC3 was rotten with it, which is one reason why I enjoyed #4 more than #3. The long drug trip sequences, the big red demon, those annoying Buck missions, and Buck were the things I hated most about FC3.

Agree D_B, a whole game of Shangri-La would dull me out pretty quickly.

Dweller_Benthos

I can't speak for the whole game yet, but that's the way it looks to be shaping up, bow and spear hunting with your animal friend, and club when it gets up close and personal. There is the owl, which I guess you can equip with some kind of bomb to drop on people, but it pretty much is a replacement for the binoculars to look at places and tag enemies before attacking.
D_B

PZ

Do you guys remember if there was a boss in FC4?  I can't remember if I ever finished the game, but don't remember a boss  ????

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on March 08, 2016, 10:43:45 AM
Do you guys remember if there was a boss in FC4?  I can't remember if I ever finished the game, but don't remember a boss  ????

:laugh:

Open world demise ^-^

fragger

Quote from: PZ on March 08, 2016, 10:43:45 AM

There sort of was, when you had to defeat Pagan's pink-haired Asian sidekick, Yuma. You went into a small cavern in an abandoned mine where she snuck up on you and blew trip-dust in your face. You then got all druggy and went through a whole Shangri-La-ish type mission where you had to make your way through a series of mystical temple-like places to find and take down a human but demonic warrior sort of guy called Kalinag. You actually had to "kill" him three times with a dagger while fending off Hunters and spirit-world tigers with your magic bow, and once you'd done that, you came back to reality to find that the whole episode had taken place in just that one small cavern, apparently in your drug-hazed mind, with Yuma dead on the floor of the cavern and dead Royal Army guys all over the place, who you had also evidently killed (I'm guessing that these were interpreted by your whacked-out brain as the Hunters and tigers).

Not a boss fight as such, but still flipping stupid.

There was also a boss fight in the last (of five) Shangri-La mission. I never played through those that far as they weren't necessary for game completion, but mandru did. Sounded pretty intense from what he reported and I'm sure I would have hated it.

Tags:
🡱 🡳