Lake Segolo mission - first one in the south

Started by PZ, October 27, 2014, 10:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Dang, I just tried to compile a new patch and the modding tool failed midway  :-\\

Art Blade

ow..
I think it's not the tool. I bet you overrode code, like accidentally erasing a ";" or some such. Best try to unpack your working mod and fix it there, then repack it. With backups, of course.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Maybe I'll have to try it myself, in case you can't sort it. If I have to and if I succeed, I'll be the one uploading it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 31, 2014, 09:41:03 PM
ow..
I think it's not the tool. I bet you overrode code, like accidentally erasing a ";" or some such. Best try to unpack your working mod and fix it there, then repack it. With backups, of course.

I don't think it was what I was changing because the tool failed upon loading player.xml, which I have not changed since 2012.  :-\\

Art Blade

just so you may check whether or not it's your tool, I'll upload that for you AND will look into modding your mod myself so we may succeed. What tool was it (file name) that failed?

Art Blade

Geez, what have I done saying I'd look into it. I'm currently both re-educating myself as to how modding works and at the time I am reverse-engineering your mod.  :-D

What I just saw is a possible (not sure yet) fault in your mod as you seem to have 2x a WeaponProperties.xml (21_... and 23_...) that only differ in 2 bytes size. My first guess is that at some point of your modding you wanted to change something in the weapons section and created a new file but rather than replacing the old one, you added it. A mod inside the mod. I can only hope that the 23_.. is what you wanted as it will override the changes made in 21_.. but 23_.. is two bytes shorter.. as if now there was something missing you originally had.

My problem is, as far as I can tell at this point, that I will have to edit a weaponproperties file. If I edit 23_ so it won't get overridden by 21_ (actually 23_ patches 21_) I might as well replace 21 with 23 and rename 23 to 21. So the only 21 will be the old 23. And then I'll edit it.

Oh and the same happens with "Curves" -- you have 01_Curves.xml and 25_Curves.xml but with a significant difference in size. If my logic still works, I have to assume that 01 gets overridden with 25 (which is way bigger) so it renders 01 obsolete. I might have to do the same with these as described above regarding the weaponproperties.. I'll make a test mod first and see whether it still works, without changing anything except these corrections.

Bloody hell  :laugh:
OK, let's see.. :-D

Art Blade

Damn. The mod worked but some effects are gone, for instance I had an immediate malaria attack and my 6P9 jammed. The AR-16, however, still had auto-fire and the AS50 was still silent.

Now I understand that patching FC2 works as follows:

Loading vanilla unpatched version that imaginary looks like "00 00"
Loading patch..
Patch "21_weap.." imaginary looks like "01 00" overrides vanilla to "01 00"
Patch "23_weap.." imaginary looks like "00 02" overrides patched vanilla to "01 02"

And that is weird. It should have been "00 02" because 23_weap.. should have overridden the changes of patch 21_weap..

The only explanation for that I can come up with is that the game compares the vanilla weap.. with 21_weap.. and saves anything that  is not vanilla, in this case 01. Then it compares again the vanilla weap.. with 23_weap.. and again only saves anything that is not vanilla, in this case 02. The result is "01 02" as both values differ from the vanilla data.

In other words, it's too much hassle for me to merge changes made in 21 with changes made in 23 to create only one file. I much rather leave your mod as it is, with those weird doublets, as they both seem to make sense in a weird, weird way.

Question is, which of those files to change in order to get the ammo capacity up.. I guess it doesn't even matter, as long as whichever file I mod overrides the vanilla settings.

OK, back to the lab..  :-D

Art Blade

OK most of the time until now I kept looking for posts about modding clip size as well as changing the burst fire to full auto so I could find the changes you made from burst to full auto which meant a lot of searching and reading. Finally I found the post that explains how to mod it so I could identify it (indeed, there you said you *added* the mod, apparently the 2nd file 23_weap.. and yes, there I found the corresponding changes  :) ) I wanted to find out about the burst/full auto because I am toying with the idea of changing the AR-16 to single fire, but first I have to make changes to your mod regarding clip size.

Now I know where to make changes which is what I am about to do. And then compiling the mod and going for a test run  :o :-()

Art Blade

OK, the clip size is now 90 and I increased the ammo capacity so you won't run dry after firing 1.5 clips ;)

Problem is, despite using your mod for my modification, I instantly had the malaria attack, no stamina, and the AR16 jammed. So maybe I could have kept my previous mod that I had stripped of doublets. I have just started a new career to see whether or not the effects that have kicked in after loading the new mod are reset to the desired effect (no malaria, no fatigue etc). I'll keep you posted.

nexor

This is just for info sake PZ, even though I have the malaria mod I do get the occasional attack

nexor

Art, If I'm not mistaken both you and PZ loaded a patch created by someone that did a lot of changes to the vanilla, I tried that patch and found a lot glitches, I removed it and went back to the one I was using and is still using

Art Blade

Well, I don't know where PZ got his mod from or whether he did it all by himself, but I am using his version. Before I reverse-engineered and recompiled it modding the ammo capacity along with the clip size, his mod worked just nice. I started a new career with his mod and had no issues and didn't have a single malaria attack. As far as I am concerned, the way that mod was compiled, it worked. What I don't understand is why making only an ammo/clip change to his mod seems to screw up parts that don't have any relation to it, such as stamina and malaria. I'll have to test some more.

In the end, I might have to start to compile the whole mod from scratch which would be a bloody chore.  :-D

Art Blade

So, finished the intro (took 30+ minutes..) and all that and several parts of the mod don't w@&k, for instance weapons are at full price and mostly locked, stamina is poor.. but the jumps worked.  ???

I don't know what the reason of all this is and that is damn annoying.

Well.. I much rather keep the old mod and forego a 90 round mag instead. I bloody spent almost five hours re-educating myself and trying to sort that mod out, that's enough already :D

Sorry I can't help you PZ :(

PZ

I did my mod myself because no other had what I wanted.  I wonder if player.xml, which is the file that is failing as I try to compile now is the offender - that is the one that controls the malaria (I think)

No worries about the magazine size, AB - even though I don't have a large size like, nex's, it is still better than the 3-round burst we had before.

I think I'll keep using my mod the way it is because it has just about everything I want.

Besides, only 10 more days until AC:5  >:D

Art Blade

for your console. Not for our old PC. I mean, I will be downloading it and then.. probably, between fits, recognise that I'll have to buy new hardware. As in, a completely new PC.

PZ

If AC:5 turns out as good as I hope it will be, I might even invest in new hardware

Art Blade

I'm pretty sure that it will be damn good. All those trailers simply show too much of what is good, already.  :)

nexor

Just modded the AR-16 damage severity same as the AS50
"Torso_Severity" type="UInt32">4</value>
"Limb_Severity" type="UInt32">3</value>

:angel: >:D   :-D

Art Blade

:-X

all right, mercs.. chop-chop, and pop goes the weasel.  :-D

PZ

Quote from: nexor on November 04, 2014, 01:34:35 AM
Just modded the AR-16 damage severity same as the AS50
"Torso_Severity" type="UInt32">4</value>
"Limb_Severity" type="UInt32">3</value>

:angel: >:D   :-D

:-X  No merc is going to outlive one of those rounds!

Art Blade

once chance only: they need to get rid of those clothes before the bullets hit. :-D

PZ

:laugh:

I recall JRD bitterly complaining about the mercs being almost impervious to bullets - that characteristic is a thing of the past now  >:D

Art Blade

When I posted that I had actually been thinking about JRD's comment which was along the line of how ridiculous it was that those mercs with just a shirt on could shrug off bullets to their chest, that you had to empty an entire magazine until they dropped. Which still is ridiculous.  :)

PZ

Indeed; those were the toughest people on the planet - they must have been high on PCP

Art Blade

and the ugliest. Remember the mercs telling the story of a fellow merc who had a face like a baboon's butt?  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳