Witcher 3

Started by PZ, April 06, 2015, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Dang, AB, those are some great scene shots.  I'm definitely going to need to go into this game again.  :-X

Art Blade

Thank you. :)

Remember, there are MODS and CHEATS, too. ^-^

Note to self:
- sucker PZ back into the game.. CHECK.
- prevent PZ's memory from failing.. CHECK.
- add a bonus eye candy.. CHECK.

[smg id=8850 type=preview align=center caption="showing off nice armour"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh: :-X

You know me quite well, AB!  Hard to believe we've known one another since 2009!

Art Blade

2009, are you sure? :-D It has always been my pleasure knowing you, PZ, which inspires me to slap another +1 :-X onto your back simply because I want to thank you for being such a great bloke. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I think so if the forum records are correct  ^-^

+1 to you as well for being an excellent forum member and administrator, and simply for being a good friend.  I hope we can meet in person one day  :)

Art Blade

thank you, and that would be splendid indeed :)

fragger

+1 for each of you, I'm glad to know you fine chaps :) :) You've made this a wonderful site, and I would love to get together with both of you someday!

Art Blade

cheers fragger :) Who knows, maybe one day, and I'd love to ^-^

Art Blade

There has been a new release, patch 1.22 with loads of fixes and so on, the usual stuff. A lot of it has got to do with the latest DLC but there are fixes for the vanilla part of the game as well so you can't really skip it.

In case you want to enable the console, you'll need to get the newest version of the mod here
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1334/?

And make sure you really do have the latest visual studio redistributable from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

or it won't w@&k.

PZ

Art Blade

When I think back to the start of the game it feels almost as if looking a year or so back. There have been so many events that I can't even guess how many. The game drags you into its world and no matter how you play, you'll feel that you've become part of that world. Your actions or not taking actions will have an impact, be it immediately or however much later. Some events are just plain fun (like, you see a girl in town being molested by three soldiers and you can choose to ignore it or interact -- if you do, you beat up those shitheads and take the girl home, done) or they may be something you can tell it's going to have an impact.

Those missions or quests not always involve the usual good versus bad type of decisions and instead may be a choice between two evils but you won't know it at that time. Just to describe one without spoiling the plot, imagine you got to know someone as a quest-giver for some time and you may have started to like that person. You learn about that person's history from many sources, including conversations between you and that person. At a certain point you discover that you either are responsible for the death of that person or even the death of husband and wife. Depending on what you did, you may at the time be responsible for the death of a couple of children and perhaps even the death of the inhabitants of a settlement. Basically you don't have a chance to do it right. There WILL be one or more deaths caused by you. We're not talking about ridding the world of a cruel tyrant but innocent people. :(

When you find out, it's too late, all you do is learn about their deaths and feel strange. Most games don't do that to you, usually you play the good guy or the bad guy but you won't have to think about what you did that caused the death of at least one person you grew fond of or at least you wouldn't have wanted those deaths in this game. Trying to be good only to find out that you ruined the life of one or more people without even knowing.. is tough. You can play some missions in an evil way on purpose if you are so inclined but that is not the purpose of the game.

Apart from that, you may find treasure hunting fun, there are quests and random locations, some even without any map markers so you only stumble upon them by chance. There may be some really cool loot to be found in crates under water or in old ruins. There are of course tunnels and dungeons and caves and all of them are more or less always populated with something nasty that you need to kill in order to survive.

The world is truly massive and incredibly rich in lootable containers of all sorts. It is next to impossible to run around for a minute without finding anything. :-D I've spent almost 200 hours playing the game and still it feels as if I was merely at the beginning. I think I am, regarding the main story. :-D

Binnatics

This game is truly interesting. It seems to be designed for long lasting playthroughs ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Sounds like there are some elements of the HBO series Game of Thrones - just when you start liking someone, they die. 

Does make for an interesting game though

Art Blade

it's not as heavy as GoT but there are political interests involved and many a party requires your help. However, it doesn't remotely feel like GoT. You, playing as the witcher by the name of Geralt of Rivia, are basically an independent and politically neutral freelancer who kills monsters for money. However, you will often find yourself entangled in personal or political schemes before you know it. And many a time because of women..  ;)

PZ

:laugh: life can become complicated

Art Blade

:-D

There was this quest one part of which was to act on stage. I was supposed to play a heroic monster slayer supposedly in shiny armour and all that. Well, you know me, I had an idea.. :-()

And no, it didn't drop. But I screwed up my lines as best as I could, provoking awkward and hilarious situations both on and off stage  :laugh:

[smg id=8856 type=preview align=center caption="oops wrong costume"]

PZ

Art Blade

I bought the first DLC (Hearts of Stone) for 8,99€ on steam, summer sale offer ^-^

PZ

Not bad!  Looks like you'll have plenty more fun with the game  :-X

Art Blade

yes, I heard that the DLC offered about 20 to 30 hours extra gaming time. :)

PZ

Wow!  ???  That sure is cost effective!

Art Blade

true. And I like all the new gear you get along with it :-X :) I already played a couple of those DLC side missions and found out that it not only offers those missions but randomly scatters mini quests and loot locations and all that, so it actually works itself into the game seamlessly. Very nice :)

[smg id=8868 type=preview align=center caption="HoS DLC 001"]

PZ

That's the way DLC should w@&k - too bad it is not the same in all other games!

fragger

Art Blade

this game is certainly a milestone regarding graphics and probably depth of story with regards to the incredible amount of quests and mini missions. I wouldn't have thought but playing it, I am convinced it is. Just marvellous in every aspect. Playing is as if being amidst a medieval film, being part of it. Not just the cutscenes.

[smg id=8869 type=preview align=center caption="details"]
[smg id=8870 type=preview align=center caption="again details"]
[smg id=8871 type=preview align=center caption="like a film"]

Tags:
🡱 🡳