Roaming the islands

Started by PZ, December 14, 2012, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

:-(

I had thought of that but C-4 would really spoil the fishing which was a large part of the lure of having a pier for a rowboat besides having the option of dropping anchor in the center of the pond and letting it rock me to sleep for the occasional nap sounds good too.  ;D

By the way I've gone back to this location several times to verify that this effect wasn't a one-off event and going straight off the end of the pier is the safest way to enter the water to check it out.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

whenever I see a crock, I shoot it dead. If I can't see any but suspect them to be there, I chuck in any type of explosives before I so much as dip a toe into the water  :-() After you cleansed that pond with explosives you may as well pretend you didn't only you won't have any crocks nibbling on even remotely important parts of your astral body :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I have not utilized C4 nearly enough; great tips guys!

nexor

After finishing off a second play through I reset all the outposts but then decided to  activate all the towers first before attacking any of the outposts.
First you mark a tower somewhere in the middle of the island, activate it then pick one the furthest N, S, E, W on the map then w@&k your way around, because there's no roads showing on your map you're basically driving blind trying to locate it, the fun part is dodging patrolling pirates and outposts

Art Blade

sounds fun :) Tried that on insane difficulty yet?  ??? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Nope, that could be a lot of fun  :-D

Art Blade

fragger

"A lot of fun" is a nice little euphemism for copping a hiding :-()

Art Blade

I just thought you were going to say, copping a squat. :-D

fragger

Art Blade

Wandering around to find interesting stuff I realised I could actually see Dr. Earnhardt's mansion from the top of the high mountain to the south of it on the Southern island. From there, I could see the entire Northern island and indeed see the lighthouse. Remember the deepest sinkhole under water in the "Shark Bay" where you can barely make it to the ground and back up? There is a cave at the North-Eastern end of the bay which I could also see. The enormous distance produced some texture glitch so I saw something like a nut (as in nuts and bolts) and I actually travelled there to find out what it really was. :)

My position and the targets.
[smg id=6225 type=preview align=center caption="far view 2 1"]
The mansion.
[smg id=6226 type=preview align=center caption="far view 2 2"]
The nut (had to do some extra colour manipulation to make it more visible) that turned out to be..
[smg id=6227 type=preview align=center caption="far view 2 3a"]
..a cave exit above ground in the Shark Bay.
[smg id=6228 type=preview align=center caption="far view 2 3b"]
The lighthouse.
[smg id=6229 type=preview align=center caption="far view 2 4"]

PZ

That is really cool  :-X

Binnatics

Yeah! Funny how those monstrous fake mountains distract your view in a way that you almost never really focus on the true visibility from high positions. I remember trying to recognize the real islands, always focussing on the hills and mountains you see. I never focussed on detail. Great find!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Cool pics Art :-X

I once flew a hang glider from the highest point in the south island (near where Art took the third picture) all the way to the north island. I think I landed somewhere well north of Amanaki Village. The flight lasted six minutes.

Art Blade

That was a cool idea, fragger. I just had to do that and did it myself. I had to round the hilltop first because the highest glider was on the other side. After some 6+ minutes I landed 80 metres short of Amanaki outpost. :)

fragger

Nice one :-X

Sometimes there's a glider on the same side of the yard as the entrance, down the grassy slope a bit. It's one of those gliders that's there one minute then gone the next. But it points towards the north island, and that's the one I took.

mandru

Turn your back on a missing glider, walk away a short distance and then come back.  Repeat as needed.

That procedure has quite often helped me spawn a glider that I knew was supposed to be there (there was an empty wooden launch deck on the hillside for Pete sake!) that I needed for some specific task I had my mind set on.  ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

:-D

I know what you mean. I saw an empty wooden launch deck there myself and three words started to form in my head, beginning with the letters W T F.
Spoiler
OK, it could as well have been, Want To Fly. :-()

Only I am not patient when it comes to flying or gliding. If there's no hang glider, I usually just jump off the nearest highest point and use the wingsuit. This commonly leads to something you might like to refer to as hilltop hopping as I wingsuit down along a crest until it starts to ascend and whip out the chute perfectly timed just so the sudden uplift puts me right on top of a ledge or another hilltop until I am close to a big one which I then run up. Sometimes I find a hang glider there, sometimes I just do some more skydiving. However, I like the wingsuit more than the glider but still can't resist a few glides once in a while  :)

mandru

:-D

In godmode who need a chute?

But when you reach lower altitudes make sure you close the wingsuit if you are approaching anything but level ground.  Otherwise you can slip through the rock face of a cliff or into a grassy hillside ending up in a limbo that can only be escaped from by opening your map and transporting to a safe base.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

Oh yes. I roamed the underworld of the islands quite many a time by punching straight through the surface, head first  :-D

fragger

Not all the holes in the map are of the glitchy variety.

I can't remember where it is, but I climbed over some rocks at the base of a small cliff next to a road to hide from an approaching patrol only to drop into a steep-sided funnel-shaped depression that I couldn't get back out of. It wasn't a glitch, just a deeply convoluted part of the terrain that the devs must have either overlooked or thought that nobody would ever find and then be silly enough to fall into.

But if there's a hole somewhere, I'll find it and be silly enough to fall into it :-() Thank heavens for fast travel... If I ever find it again, I'll point it out.

Art Blade

you surprised me with "point it out." I was willing to bet you'd say "fall into it, again." :-()

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

:laugh:

I'll fall into it again.

See, you should have bet on it :-()

Art Blade

Nah, I'd never bet on your mishaps.  :)

I'd have someone else do it for me, though.

Tags:
🡱 🡳