Well, it was good while it lasted...

Started by fragger, April 14, 2015, 03:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Hey guys,

I may have to temporarily drop out in a few weeks' time. Due to corporate restructuring (a nice little euphemism for mean-spirited cost-cutting while not giving a flying f@#k about how it may impact employees' lives) I will no longer be able to w@&k enough hours in my current job to keep living where I am. So I'll be moving into the spare rooms of my parent's lovely and fortunately quite large house, which has enough spare rooms for me to set up a temporary suite. My folks are wonderful people with whom I am very close - we're more like old mates than relatives - and their slightly sprawling house has tons of space for most of my stuff. Some will have to go into storage though.

I'm damned lucky that this option is available to me, otherwise I'd be looking at living out of my car. I'll be at my folks' place while I try to find another job, and after that, another place to live. Which means I may have to give up my lovely fast ADSL connection and go back to sucky slow wireless - maybe. Apparently ADSL is now available in my parents' area, so I'll be looking into it.

So thanks to the heartless bastardry of the company for whom I've worked hard and faithfully for the last three-and-a-half years, I now have to go through all the rigmarole of moving again and arranging storage of some of my still-newish furniture. This will be the last time I w@&k for a large national company, if I can possibly avoid it. I'm not the only one in this boat - a couple of other employees have had the rug unceremoniously pulled out from under their lives, also with little warning. I hope the CEOs of this damned company choke on their profits. I'd like to deliver a very hard, very fast boot right in their bottom line.

Now I understand why some folks go postal...

Art Blade

Sorry to hear what happened to you fragger.  :(

I hope that you'll get all that sorted out quickly so you may continue with a happier life than now.

All the best, matey :-X :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

That really sucks.
Just a note on that wireless connection, Ive read so many posts about aussies using the new LTE connections over there, have you looked upon that?
and hope you get a a better job and all that.

mandru

Jeez fragger that's a crappy break and that apartment was such a sweet crib too.  :(

Good luck on the job hunt.  I hope you find a position that will make you wonder why you took so long to swap up from this last one.

I know we've all come to appreciate your presence here in the scrum.  If necessary we'll hold your spot open around the campfire while you get things sorted.

Here's to getting your feet back under you quickly.  :-))
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Man, that sucks, and as one who's also stuck on wireless, I feel for you in not having a good connection anymore. Good luck in getting a new job soon.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

That's awful news, fragger, but I'm glad that you have your folks on your side.

One thing about companies of just about any size - they are only looking out for their bottom line, and do not give a rat's a$$ about their employees - that is, unless you luck upon the one gem boss among all the s#!t that floats to the top.

Best of luck in all your efforts, my friend.  :-X

T.V.

Sad news indeed!  :(

I could rant about large companies my self, but that would not make Your situation any better... >:((

Really hope You'll get this sorted out quick, so things can go back to normal for You.  :-X

Binnatics

Damn Fragger, that's bad news!

and indeed very pity for your flat! Damn life can kick in sometimes. Just keep up the good spirit and I hope you will be able to keep in contact with us during your struggle getting a new job and a new home. All the best finding it, hope it's just a temporary issue :-\\
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Thank you muchly, gents :)

Even if I do have to drop out for a while, I'll still be here in spirit.

I've got a couple of weeks' grace before D-Day which will give me enough time to get stuff sorted. I've already arranged for removal and storage to take place then, so all that remains is the wonderful fun of packing everything up. What I'd give for a Jeannie... At least when I moved before, I got rid of a lot of stuff so it won't be too bad this time around.

Thanks Stiku for the tip about LTE, I will definitely look into that. It'll depend on location, money, etc. The new National Broadband Network is reaching towards my parents' neck of the woods, so that will be another possible option.

It's all good - well, more or less. I'm cranky at being forced into this course of action, but I'm not down about it. It could have been a lot worse - at least I have a strong fallback position.

One plus - I won't have to listen to the screaming domestics and drunken yahooism emanating from Bogansville across the road...

Binnatics

Always looking at the bright side Fragger :-X :)

+1 for your spirit!! Hope you'll settle in soon again in a new w@&k and appartment, in an even nicer area without bogans and screamy holiday neighbours ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

Darn it fragger!!!! All our prayers are with you my friend, those bastards don't know what they losing.
Hope you'll get sorted soon, best of luck  :-X

fragger

:-D You guys are tops!

Thanks nex, I knew I could count on you too for support, me old china :)

You're all tops, I don't want to be away from you guys any longer than I possibly can be :-X

I'm kinda looking forward to tomorrow. Even though I'm not rostered on for w@&k that day, I'm going in to tender my resignation, and to give them a bloody good verbal backhander while I'm at it >:D I've also composed a letter which I intend to send to head office - no badinage or black oaths (as much as I'd like to indulge in such), just a sternly worded opinion of their callous business practices. It'll probably just bounce off their armoured hides, but I'll be doing it more for my own therapeutic benefit ;)

Apparently hard w@&k, commitment and good attendance count for nought with this lot. My last sick day was over two years ago when I was having a tube shoved up my arse to remove a benign polyp, balanced against the many, many days when I've gone in to bat for hungover, self-abusive douchebags. I have been late for w@&k twice in three-and-a-half years - once when my manager forgot to inform me of a roster change, and once when an unforeseen traffic accident held me up (I was five minutes late). I've been a manager in other businesses for gawd's sake, and have references from those companies so glowing that you could read in the dark by them. But if these twits want to diss me through their own shortsighted venality, so be it. I deserve better, and I can do better.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the kind words chaps. It's nice to be reminded that there are still decent humans out there :) And I mean that especially since I can hear the bogans loading up even as I write this...

nexor

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Well, I am now gainlessly unemployed :-()

This will be the last time I can post for a bit. Internet will be going off tomorrow and I'll be fully engaged in the joy of moving :-\\

I'll catch up with you guys later, after I get this moving lot taken care of and have sorted out a new internet connection. Apparently I can get ADSL where I'm going, so hopefully I won't have to go back to sluggy old wireless. It may be a couple of weeks before I can launch myself back into cyberspace though.

Take care all :) I'll still be here in spirit, and I'll see you all anon.

nexor

Binnatics

Good luck moving and sorting things out, hope to see you around soon!!!  :) :-X

PZ

Wishes for a easy transition, fragger - hope to see you again soon  :-X

Art Blade

All the best and come back soon :-X :)

JRD

fragger my man, I know exactly what you re going through. I too just lost my job.  :'(

Part due to a world wide oil crisis with not a single thread of hope of getting better in sight, part due to a national crisis after a scandal involving our biggest oil company on top of the world crisis.

The company is now downsizing in order to cut costs and bla bla bla.... you now how the song goes.

I am doing relatively well as I received a reasonable indemnification from the company for breaking my w@&k contract and I also owe the apartment where I currently live so I can still go on for a while without going crazy.

I am with you brother! Better days are coming to both of us, you will see!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

the two of you should team up and start up :)

Man, JRD, what happened to you and fragger makes me both angry and sad but more angry than sad. What the hell is going on out there!

To both of you the best of luck, my friends.

nexor

Damn!!!!  I'm so sorry to hear that JRD, I know what you and fragger are going through, been there myself   :(

The two of you are in our prayers my friend    :-(

JRD

Thanks guys.  :)

I see that fragger haven't been around for the last couple weeks. I just hope he can get his life back together in no time. Being forced to move is something brutal. He'll have to put some things back on tracks before he can enjoy a good gaming weekend.

I for one am taking it as a life changing opportunity. I am not really sure what I want to do next but I know what I don't want. This evil corporative world is not appealing anymore. I'm sick and tired of being thrown into the fire to perform taks I wasn't trained to do, having to put up unpaid extra hours, with my management expecting nothing but exceptional results and hearing I did nothing but what I was hired to do when I manage to pull off something good. They disguise everything with fancy words like "challenge", "motivation", "overcoming"..... a big, fat, stinky pile of horse crap. What it really mean is "why should I hire two or three guys if that jerk over there is busting his a$$ off and doing all by himself?" or "why should I send him into training if he is learning by experience?".... pretending they don't see a sleep deprived, living wreck, dragging his beaten off body through the corridors.

I am putting most of my life aside to make someone rich... why should I be proud to be "part of the company's family" if they kick me out of said family as soon as the investors see their profit marging going down by 1%.... what about me, my family, my life plans?

Screw them..... I may come back to the office for a short while just to make some more money to be able to leave town and go living in the hills nearby where I can drive one hour to have lunch with my friends in town but live my daily routine away from the big city. Open my own business and be my boss, even if making half as much as I was making.... as long as I have enough time to enjoy life, I consider myself rich!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: JRD on May 11, 2015, 10:57:31 AM
....Screw them..... I may come back to the office for a short while just to make some more money to be able to leave town and go living in the hills nearby where I can drive one hour to have lunch with my friends in town but live my daily routine away from the big city. Open my own business and be my boss, even if making half as much as I was making.... as long as I have enough time to enjoy life, I consider myself rich!

Good for you JRD!  Really sorry to hear that you've been the victim of downsizing, but as you say, this can become an opportunity to change directions and perhaps find a much better path.

Best of luck, my friend, and as nex said, prayers are with you and fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳