Not my day

Started by Roaven, October 31, 2009, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roaven

I decided that putting all my chips in the APR, or any one faction for that matter, was a bad idea, so I walked across town to the UFLL base. They proposed that I take out a special forces team, or their gear to be more exact, to avoid them looking bad by appearing to have ordered the attack. I accepted and left the building, walking towards Mike's to grab some weapons. Warren Clyde called, and told me to meet him at someone safehouse over by the Shanty town. I decided I'd check it out, and grabbed an SVD Dragonuv, a Mac 10, and an RPG. I took the assault jeep parked beside Mike's and cut through the Lumber Yard, managing to avoid being shot and driving unopposed until I reached where Clyde was waiting.

He told me that he had been stealing stuff from the APR, medical equipment and such, and selling it back to them for a higher price. The Spec Ops team was supposedly there to grab him. He told me to abandon trying to hit the desert, as there was no cover out in there. Instead, he told me to go to the Villa a bit north from there and tell the guy there, who was radioing codes to the SF team, and persuade him to give them the wrong coordinates. Warren would ambush them along with some APR troops. I told him I'd help and drove north to the Villa. Unfortunately, I picked up two patrols along the way. One at the crossroads, and one from the bridgeside guard post near the safehouse.

I dispatched of the first patrol without too much trouble and turned my attention to the guard post at the entrance of the village. However, the other patrol drove up and blew my cover, forcing me to deal with them and the guard post mercenaries. After patching myself up and refilling my ammo supply from a crate at the guard post, I walked to the bog like area nearby. There was a briefcase with three diamonds in it, and I pocketed them before moving along a small path to an overlook. I looked down the scope of my dragonuv and took out the patrolling sniper before turning my attention to the smaller targets. However, I was flanked, and I could only watch as a grenade rolled to a stop beside me and detonated.

Thankfully, Paul was there to pull my a$$ out of the fire. He took out a few of the mercs and handed me his .45, as I had dropped my Mac a while back. I used two magazines on two mercs before grabbing my machine pistol again, getting ammo from a crate behind there and ducking inside. I looked out and actually saw a mercenary giving one I evidently had only wounded earlier medical care. This was the first time I saw this happen, so I waited as he pulled his wounded teammate to his feet. Knowing I didn't have time for mercy, I gunned them both down before heading into the villa. However, I had taken too long. The man I was supposed to intimidate had began firing, and I had no choice but to cut him down.

Warren called, pissed at me for failing, and said something about me leaving his a$$ hanging out in the wind. I had no doubt that we weren't exactly closer now, and angry, I commandeered an SUV and left, heading towards the desert to finish my mission.

((This marked several firsts for me. The healing thing was new to me, an I didn't realize that wounded mercs that crawled behind cover could be pulled back to their feet. Two, I actually failed a buddy mission. I got a "Warren Clyde reputation reduced" message and he called me, pissed at my failure))

Art Blade

congrats on a job well done, mate  ;D

No, seriously, nice story with funny twists and turns  :-X

I've seen both myself, failing a mission with an agry phone call and mercs hiding around a corner when wounded. If you don't want a mission to "stay failed" you might consider reloading a savegame ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Interesting, I've never had the Belgian start shooting at me off the jump.

I usually take the time to not only clear off all the mercs there at the level of the villa but also drop down and mop up any stragglers on the water front as well. I also take the time to climb up on the roofs of the two garages and snag that diamond case up there before I try going up and pulling the intimidation act so I don't think that his aggressive reaction was time related but I'm unable to suggest what may have been the trigger to set him off. Possibly a merc or two still alive to give him some courage I just don't know.

I guess if you fired a shot at him or just in the air to scare him instead of walking up and clicking the "E" (or the use symbol if on console when it showed up) to start the vid sequence of you pulling the machete on him that could do it.

The funny thing is that I'd actually prefer to take out the invasion force at the Oasis as I like the layout but I go along with my buddy's suggestion to get the safe house upgrades.

An amusingly told rendition of your outing Raoven it was a good read.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

retiredgord

Good write-up Roaven, good and  concise. That was interesting what happened and there are lotsa spots where you can do the casualty and the rescuer at the same time.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

fragger

Cool read, Roaven :-X Nice bit of storytelling!

Quote from: mandru on October 31, 2009, 05:41:37 PM
Interesting, I've never had the Belgian start shooting at me off the jump.
That's the first I've ever heard of that too, he's always been a cowering wimp who whinges about me raining on his parade, or words to that effect. Actually, I like giving that guy a head warmer becauses he looks just like a co-worker I had once who was a real d**khead, and I sometimes fantasized about doing that very thing ;D

I haven't yet failed that part of a buddy mission, but there have been times after a subverted mission where I've been too late to pull a buddy's chestnuts out of a fire in the aftermath and he or she has shuffled off before I could get there. Even though he lay dying, Frank once took the trouble to phone me and say, "You said you'd be here, you son of a bitch" - click!

Art Blade

yeah, those phone calls can be quite funny. Even better if you don't pick up the phone, you know your mate croaks, then get the answerphone post mortem  to hear his last words which were not exactly pleasant LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳