question about buddies/deaths (poss. spoilers)

Started by bubbahotep7, September 15, 2009, 06:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: Midway on September 22, 2009, 10:20:45 AM
...Only thing I don't like about the AK-47 is the sound.  It resembles my mother's old Singer sewing machine...

lol, good one - my mother had one too, and you're correct!  :-X

Art Blade

My mom too had a Singer, lol  :-X

Had to look something up:

Quotewild hair: Sudden decision that is not expected.
(Urban Dictionary)

lovely expression  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Midway on September 22, 2009, 10:20:45 AM
sometimes I use the Desert Eagle.  It is something about having a large chrome pistol in your hand  ;D

LOL  ;D ;D ;D

One hell of a funny post there mate  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

"Wild hair" is a new one on me too. I like it! :-X

Midway

I am glad ya'll liked the expression.  Sometimes I have to research some Aussie/Canuck/Brit expressions myself, lol.

I got curious to where it originated myself so I found this on AnswerBag:

QuoteIt's actually "had a wild hare", as in a rabbit.

It's an American expression meaning to do something at the spur of the moment without really thinking, spontaneity. It originated from "had a wild hare up my <insert rated "G" synonym>". If you had a wild rabbit in your backside... you'd probably jump without thinking. It most likely originated in the Mid-West where hare were commoner'n a fly on a horses' .. (and so was vulgar language). But as it was shaved down, it can now be used as "I had a wild hare to go to Vegas".

So what happened is probably a Southerner was visiting some kin in the Midwest, heard the expression and thought it was "hair" instead of "hare" and bought it back down heah  ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Very interesting info - I too am interested in the origins of local/regional expressions.  Sometimes the roots are quite funny

mandru

My take on Wild Hare is in the springtime behavior of hares in the wild during courtship and fighting. They are very exuberant and quite funny watch as they tend to act quite mad, as in senseless.

Also referred to as March Hares or Mad hares as in the case of Alice in Wonderland, there's a Mad March Hare at the Mad Hatter's tea party.

A Hatters madness however came from using mercury steam, until quite recently actually, to block hats because of its relatively low boiling point and it could be brushed off with out staining or marring felt or fur hats the way that water vapor can.

Ah Jeez! Don't get me started.  :P

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

haha, don't worry :) Just go on if you like :)

interesting stuff, only I don't understand "to block a hat" - what does that mean? I know I can wear a hat, but never heard of blocking one, especially felt or fur hats, with water or even mercury steam  :)

DKM2

I took it as, Alice is not "available".  Just me maybe..
:)
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

DKM2, I think you just turned Predecessor. Congrats  :)

DKM2

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

mandru

Depending on how the crown (the top) and brim of a hat is shaped you can take one hat and make it look like many different types of hat. Anything from Indiana Jones' battered explorer to an up town "putting on the ritz" fedora.

Blocking is the act (and Art) of shaping of a hat and setting the creases in it so that it is easier to get back into shape if it gets smashed by the customer.

In the show old Bonanza, amusingly Hoss (played by actor Dan Blocker who with that name very possibly a hatter somewhere in his ancestry) wore an unblocked Ten Gallon with a rounded top and flat brim.
- mandru

Art Blade

Thank you, now I get the picture.  :)

And indeed, I remember Bonanza and Hoss...

Quote from: mandru on September 25, 2009, 06:42:53 PM
In the show old Bonanza, amusingly Hoss (played by actor Dan Blocker who with that name very possibly a hatter somewhere in his ancestry) wore an unblocked Ten Gallon with a rounded top and flat brim.

... That is very funny then  ;D :-X

Art Blade

hehe, just reminded me of that rude expression "I'll knock your block off, mate" - about the same region as the hat ;) I can virtually see how someone hammers a hat around that block so it fits  ;D

mandru

Now you got it and with a perfect link up too!  :-X

Quote from: Art Blade on September 25, 2009, 08:30:06 PM
"I'll knock your block off, mate"

That's hitting someone in the head so hard it ruins the creases in their hat.

I told you it was best for me not to get started, I have advanced symptoms of schmaltzheimers where I am hauling around so much trivia that I have trouble keeping a handle on important things.   ;)

- mandru

fragger

Got a question in a trivial pursuit game once: "What does a spermologist collect?"
And no, it's not what it sounds like - a spermologist is one who collects trivia.
Why "spermologist" I don't know - you'd have to ask a spermologist. ;D

Art Blade

apparently there are two possible fields of interest for a spermologist, the other one being "seeds"  :)

and thanks, mandru, I like details and trivia :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳