Download a modded patch

Started by PZ, August 27, 2011, 10:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

OMG!

Someone uploaded a patch mod that only slightly changes the hit damage and it completely changed the game play!  To test the mod, all I did was download the two patch files and copy them into my FC2 games folder.  The mod is only a slight change in the hit damage that the weapons do to the mercs.

I started the game and went to Mosate Selao intending to start a fight to test the new settings.  I was using the AR15.  I literally spent 20 minutes in the same spot fighting mercs without needing to run away because of the damage.  In fact, as I was playing the game it was almost like a movie - I was seeing things I have never seen before because it only took a single 3-round burst to take down a merc.  They were close, I could see lots of detail, and it was SO much more realistic to see an opponent go down with a reasonable number of rounds.

This is almost like playing a brand new version of the game.  Now I'm motivated to download the tools and create my own personalized settings.  From the discussion in the thread, it seems that there will be many parameters that we can change.

The best part is that those of us that are comfortable with getting down into the core of a program will be able to develop patches that anyone can use.

:-X  Kudos to TheStranger for finding this goldmine.  This is the most exciting news for anyone playing FC2 on the PC that has surfaced in a long while.

TheStranger

Here's a short description how it works:

You have the tutorial on page 1 of the thread, but the modified files only w@&k if

1) You must have the latest steampatch, which is an updated version 1.3 - so if you have the boxed version of the game you must download the patchfiles from gibber (they are in a post on the first pages of the thread, I'm sure you will find it). Then you'll have in the main menu many "W's" and mine does crash on quitting, but apart from this it works great (so I consider to buy the game per steam in the near future to have the accurate content :))

2) With the patchfiles applied, the program is able to unpack the files. And then there is a minor problem. Gibber says, you have to put the files in the mymod folder but then nothing is working in game. So you must use the mypatch folder where you have the folder (these folders you have to create) engine (with the folder gamemodes in it - and here you copy the gamemodesconfig.xml from the original/patch/engine/gamemodes/gamemodes.xml

The other folders are "generated" with entitylibrarypatchoverride.fcb which I think is automatically created.

Then you need to copy the patch folder from mymod to mypatch. And in the main mypatch folder comes the patch.xml also from my mod.

3) The third you must do is to modify the buildpatch.bat, because it only builds the patch from the mymod folder (and nobody in the thread mentioned that I have to modify the bat file - which took also a little time to figure that out). So just rename the bat file to buildpatch.txtopen it with a texteditor  and modify the filepaths to the mypatch folder (it's not to complicated). The rename it.bat again.

4) Everytime you changed a file (which will be mainly the gamemodesconfig.xml) just run the buildpatchbat and then copy the two new generated patch files to the win32 folder and overwrite the two existing files (don't forget to backup).

So that's the basics, if you need more details; I'm here again in the evening. So I have to go no - time stress ahh :D  Didn't want to write that much. See you

PZ

Many thanks for the instructions, TheStranger - I'm sure that I'll be doing some of the game-changing adjustments.  From the little that I've experienced from downloading the mod at the link you provided, I can imagine that I'll be playing with this for quite a while.  ;) :-X

PZ

Evidently the old saved games w@&k when the new mods are applied.  I'm playing one of my old saved games and am using the MP5 which is typically a rather weak weapon.  However, with the mod applied, the MP5 actually works the way you would expect a real weapon to w@&k!

Also, the 6P9, my favorite pistol now can put down a merc without having to expend an entire clip.

Finally, in checking the topic on the site TheStranger posted, it perhaps is possible to assign different weapons to the primary, secondary, and special slots.  If that is correct, we should be able to assign any weapon to any slot.

So far I'm having a great time playing FC2 again - like having a brand new game - this should keep me busy until FC3 comes out.  :-()

Art Blade

??? I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this topic's subject and subsequent posts.

Indeed, Kudos+1 to TheStranger (and many thanks) :-() :-X

My first thought wasn't about modding the game's weapons but if with tools like that and being able to access the code, is there a chance we could solve the Boot-Tape glitch/bug (Predecessor Missions)? Maybe ask the guy on that forum about it?

Before I'm going to go into modding some things myself (and I do want to) I need to vent off a little: I am a little concerned about some things mentioned in previous posts. For instance:

- What the.. two different versions of the 1.3-patch? So STEAM has a different patch compared with the retail game's 1.3-patch?

- The description what to do with certain files and folders and overriding stuff in the windows folder and creating and copying and.. erm.. sounds actually like a massive potential for screwing over the game and rendering modding attempts useless if you don't know exactly what to do. I hope you guys manage to put up a little more structured how-to for people who don't want to spend a vast amount of time with trial and error. :)

However, very good news. Pity I have limited time these days but I hope that this doesn't matter. Eventually I'll be back on my usual schedule  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Oh man. I just stopped reading that forum's topic on page 5 (out of god knows how many) because I got bored by people there who keep talking about anything off topic 90% of the time. I noticed people there are very fond of two expressions: "loving/-ly" and "poo poo" which after a while distracted me even more. Not that I don't like reading off topic stuff but when it comes to checking out info about "modding FC2" and relevant info, the author could have done a better job setting up two topics. One for updates and news without random discussions and a second topic for whatever people want to say. Apparently he's neither a mod nor an admin so he could have just made his initial post significant by keeping editing it (see our huge FC2 topic "funny tactics and tips" which has a long list of relevant links - I did that when I was a regular member and needed to structure the constantly growing topic).

When PZ said, "I rarely reorganize posts" I thought well, I often do, particularly when it comes to readability (staying on topic or splitting a topic when a major subject emerges). At least we have a chance to keep it sweet here because for some reason our general organisation of posts and topics (and forum/boards) and how people here contribute is really good.  :)

Alright, back to modding / on topic.

Looks like indeed STEAM's patch 1.03 is different and therefore needed for the modding tools to w%&k properly.

As to what can be done: From what little I could gather, basically everything that is variable-dependent can be changed by editing LUA and XML files. That means I can change characteristics of almost everything that already exists.

Things I really like to change already can be changed using cheat codes. That involves anything regarding day/night time, including weather, to unlocking all weapons (also setting them to non-degrading) to unlimited ammo and god mode and "ignore player."

What I'd like to mod is:

- make all weapons fit in all slots (allowing new loadouts)
- while we're at it, make every bullet count  >:D (hit damage)
- increase stamina (sprint/jump forever without tiring)
- set the malaria timer so high it won't kick in any more
- increase speed of vehicles controlled by the player
- and/or decrease "rubber band" characteristics of merc vehicles (they can always pull up to you)

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 28, 2011, 06:11:15 AM
Looks like indeed STEAM's patch 1.03 is different and therefore needed for the modding tools to w%&k properly.

What is great is that the patch files created using the tools can evidently be used by anyone (I don't have the Steam version, however I'm playing using a mod created by one of the guys on that site).  For anyone that wants to mod, the Steam patch can evidently be applied to the retail version.

I think everything Art mentioned is possible with tweaking of the files.  So far, the game I was playing last night was only slightly altered, but it completely changed the feel of the game - I was able to use the 6P9 to wound/kill mercs with as little as a single round!  It felt so much more realistic.

Art Blade

I'd really like to make those changes. If anyone can beat me to it, please feel free  :-()

PZ, the mod you're using.. could you please link to the post/source where you found it?

PZ

Yes, I'll post it this afternoon - have to run right now, but will get to it within a couple of hours.  ;)

EDIT:  here is the link to the patch files http://www.mediafire.com/?ssucqou0qs8d15e

Tags:
🡱 🡳