Well, I was going to report how bad AC4 sucks...

Started by PZ, October 29, 2013, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... but I can't just yet - so far the game has surprised me in how smooth the mechanics of running and fighting are.  No more clunky slow feel-like-I'm fighting-through-molasses mechanics.  Smooth, efficient, don't fall off roofs, out of trees, etc.  Very much an open world feel.

I'm waiting for the hammer to come down with races and bosses  ????

Art Blade

..and LOTS of extremely tightly timed events.

:-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I hooked the console to my pc monitor, so I can now play a bit at night

Stiku

Quote from: PZ on October 30, 2013, 08:38:03 AM
I hooked the console to my pc monitor, so I can now play a bit at night

You sir, have more balls than I do, I can't  even get the power cord attached to my console  :angry-new:

BTW, how open is AC now days, last time I tried it, it was claustrophobic, running along corridors and jumping on rooftops.

PZ

Quote from: Stiku on October 30, 2013, 08:54:54 AM
You sir, have more balls than I do, I can't  even get the power cord attached to my console  :angry-new:

:laugh: I know just how you feel - happens to me at times, especially with non-electronic items

I really like how open it is.  In fact, even in the prolog before you actually enter full free roam you have great freedom in what you do.  For instance, my first task was to chase down an assassin and kill him, but instead I hunted down treasure chests, and other items of interest while I explored.

Ubi has improved the free run over what they did in AC3 - I ran the rooftops of Havana last night, and ran through the streets as well - the movement was very smooth and precise.  In contrast, I always hated running in prior iterations of the game (on the console) because the response of the controller felt so slow in comparison to the same game on the PC.  For instance, now I run rooftops and through streets without "accidentally" turning too sharply and running up a wall or fall off a rooftop.

In general everything feels more polished and smooth.  However, I am still early into the game and perhaps have not encountered some of the things that I am sure sill annoy (races, timed events, etc)

Things I like so far:

• The world is huge, and feels very open
  • Fighting mechanics - Ubi has greatly refined the stealth kills - whistle and someone comes to investigate - you can quickly dispatch your opponent with ease.  Close quarters combat is also much improved - the controls feel much more comfortable to me in this game
  • The observation towers where you reveal parts of the map have become fast travel stations

So far, I'm not disliking anything, so I am pessimistically optimistic.  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on October 30, 2013, 10:28:36 AMI am pessimistically optimistic.  :-()

hehe, reminds me of something along the lines of: "I used to be indecisive but nowadays I'm not so sure any more." :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

that would be a first -- I don't quite believe that. Not yet, that is.

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

PZ

A few more things I like:

• At the end of each mission, you can rate it if you like on a scale 1 star to 5 - evidently they will use this information to fine tune their future games, else why bother asking
  • Unlike prior games in which forts are locked until you get the mission to enter - I was able to enter a fort in Nassau by finding a pathway up at an obscure corner of the fort.  This is one of those forts with really high walls that, when you are familiar with AC games, you cannot enter until the game deems you ready.  It was very much in keeping with making the game more open world
  • I see elements of AC3 and FC3 in the game - the hunting, gathering pelts to craft ammo belts or holsters, etc.  Also the viewpoints remind me of the towers in FC3, yet maintain the AC series elements
  • You can run at an opponent (with their back turned) and can still do a stealth kill - I had a cool moment when I ran at a guy near the wall of the fort intending to kill him, and instead of my blades, simply pushed him over the edge - I continue to be impressed with the fighting mechanics
Evidently if you purchase a PS4, for $10, you can get the HD digital version of the game, which requires you to use the PS3 disc in order to run.  Not too unreasonable

Still nothing that I really dislike yet.  Although there was a chase scene in which you needed to tackle an opponent, as I chased the guy, I kept thinking I was going to desynchronize at any moment because it was taking too long, and I had not found the precise path to intercept.  I was pleasantly surprised that he eventually turned to confront me.  Of course, I don't know if this was the intent of the game or if they have stopped the ridiculous desynchronization when running out of time - I don't know.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to make it beyond that point in any case.

The environment continues to impress - the views are stunning, and I almost feel like being in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean.

PZ

More impressions:

I like the treasure maps - there are 22 in all and I've found 2 - they allow upgrades to your ship (at least so far).  One map I obtained the location of from a tavern owner, and another I found by revealing the map of an island.  Kind of cool; you find the map on parchment paper - you need to remember/recognize where you have seen the shape of the land before because "X" marks the spot where you dig up the plans, hidden in a chest.

Also very welcome to everyone who has played the game before - remember when running through crowds, if you did not crouch down you would fall down as you ran into people - that is no more - your character automatically pushes people out of the way.

I thought I would hate the ship missions, but Ubi has refined the ship mechanics so that it is actually fun in this game (so far)  I have managed to upgrade my ship a couple of times, and there is tons more to do.  I suspect that there will be even more to do than in any of the other games, maybe all of them combined.  Everything feels so open.

As you are sailing along, you can use your spyglass to reveal items available on islands.  You also use your spyglass to reveal details of ships you see on the horizon.  When you disable ships (evidenced by fire), you can board, then subdue the crew, and steal the cargo - plus anything you need to repair your ship.

Art Blade

I'm glad that you're enjoying it, PZ :)

Quote from: PZ on October 30, 2013, 08:23:12 PMthe viewpoints remind me of the towers in FC3

Erm, towers in FC3? LOL scratch that, I got it, right after hitting the post button: radio towers! :)
I was thinking medieval watch towers.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 31, 2013, 11:25:20 AM
I'm glad that you're enjoying it, PZ :)

Erm, towers in FC3? LOL scratch that, I got it, right after hitting the post button: radio towers! :)
I was thinking medieval watch towers.

Yeah, it has been so long since I opened FC3 for any length of time I forgot what they were called  :-()

I managed to get in a couple of hours this morning and the game still has not disappointed.

There were two reasons I was not going to purchase AC4:

• I did not like AC3 that much
  • I hated the idea that AC4 was so heavily ship-based
I am enjoying doing the naval missions because you have so many upgrades you can do - playing the role of a pirate is lots of fun.  Once you incapacitate a ship, your guys will throw grappling hooks and haul the ships close enough so you can swing over to do in the crew.  You get loot and new crew members as reward.

I also enjoyed doing a fort - you attack by ship, and when the fort weapons are destroyed, you dock your ship, then do close quarters combat with the foes - until you win, and then the fort is yours.  You can fast travel to the location, and the fort will even defend you if you are being chased (and their guns are within range)

With that said, I'm sure the game will get to the point where it becomes unbearably difficult to overcome the bad guys, and then I'll be vehemently complaining again, about how much I hate the game  :-()

Art Blade

I'm already rubbing my hands in anticipation and I'm eagerly waiting for that to happen.  :-()

PZ

Art Blade

we might simply rename the RANT board to "UBI, EA, Atari." :-D

PZ

Don't get me started on EA  \:/  >:D

I've continued the game for a few more hours, upgraded my ship some more, and am now able to take on frigates.  The loot is much better 9of course), but significantly more difficult - but not too bad.

I've also continued the main missions which have now turned to more sea-based themes - the latest one is to tail a man 'o war (that thing looks scary) without being caught - the mini map shows the field of vision of the smaller ships patrolling in the area.  The challenge was maintaining the tail without being seen in a slow to respond ship.  Once the tail was successful, 8 ships magically appeared that you need to dispatch, but the difficulty was not too bad with the upgraded ship - kind of fun actually.

Unfortunately Ubi still has sectors of the map "Not available yet" - this is one area where Rockstar in GTAV beats the pants off Ubi - I just don't see why there should be areas that are off limits just because you have not progressed far enough into the game.

Although I like the repetitious nature of the ship warfare, I suspect that the monotony will bother some gamers

Still not disappointed, but I still prefer Italy.

... and still waiting for something to pi$$ me off with the game play

Art Blade

PZ

Well, I'm still playing, and discovering new things.  For those that played AC3, this game will seem quite familiar with the scope of the world, and how the characters interact within the game.  Along the main mission line, you have a good blend of land-based versus sea-based tasks to complete.  The usual tail, assassinate, and try to keep from being discovered things.  It is fairly open world in nature at least in parts of each mission - you get to choose your approach, and mostly get plenty of time to decide where to attack from.

One thing adopted from FC3 is the alarm bell - like in the outposts, you can sneak up to disable the alarm to prevent reinforcements from arriving.

All in all, a fairly descent game, but like FC3, is unlikely to hold my interest, unless I purchase a PS4 and play the game in HD, which is said to be quite stunning.

PZ

Adter completing the game and discovering that there was still 51% of the game I'd not done, I started exploring and trying different things.  First thing I did was engage larger ships to build cash, goods and ammunition - then upgraded quite a few things including the boat used for harpooning. 

On a hunt for sharks I went - all you need do is go to a place on the map (like in FC3) and look around for the animals - once you sail into their sphere and engage, you switch to the boat and you are standing in front with a harpoon.  If your throwing arm is good, you tag one, and it starts towing you around - keep throwing and you eventually bag the animal and you collect it's skin and bones which are used for selling or crafting, again much like in AC3, FC3.

Next I went after a whale  >:D

...it's a good thing I upgraded the boat to the maximum because the whale smashed into the bow of my boat.  A nice feature of this activity is that the animals disappear beneath the waves and will come attack you - however, you can sense their imminent eruption by series of bubbles almost like whitewater.

When swimming under water, eels, sharks, jellyfish, and other nasties will attack you.  Some you need to button mash like you do when animals attack in AC3 and FC3.

PZ

JRD

Hehehehe... I knew I'd find someone playing AC4 around here as soon as I checked in again!  8)

Good to know you are enjoying, PZ.  :-X Although I had tuned donw my expectations regardin AC4, I still believe this is a game worth playing... only not a game to be compared to the old iterations such as the Ezio saga - a masterpiece!

I am actually curious about the background story arc of Desmond knowing he died in the last game after opening the portal and giving his life to save mankind from that crazy ethereal bitch Minerva! My godson told me today the game has no Animus, no preset-day story arc, no Desmond.... so you simply start off as a pirate and that's it... deal with it, and I felt quite let down. Considering that they would somehow extend the present day arc was one thing that could light my enthusiasm for tis game on a end of the year sale but  apparently, nah!

So is that true? No Animus? No present day story arc?  :-(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳