One Life - the "toughest" MP FPS ever

Started by fragger, December 20, 2015, 07:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Not in the sense of difficulty level, but in the fact that if you die in-game, you will never be able to play it again. Ever. You will be permanently locked out of it.

And the game isn't free, you will still have to pay if you want to play.

http://www.pcgamer.com/one-life-is-a-multiplayer-fps-that-locks-you-out-forever-when-you-die/

Some people are excited about the concept, and it is a radical idea, but I think a rather pointless one unless, maybe, the game was offered for free. Even if I was into MP gaming, I wouldn't pay for a game that I might only get to enjoy for a few minutes before having my gaming experience permanently curtailed by some smirking little zit-faced scungebucket camped out with a sniper rifle.

I can see Steam's refund policy getting a good workout over this. I can also see some extreme gamer rage ensuing from it. Watch for the headlines...

I'll be passing, thanks.

PZ

Sounds stupid to me.  I dislike using the word "never", but in this instance I can honestly say that I would never entertain such a concept - I'd leave gaming first.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I did a bit more investigation, and it goes from bad to worse - evidently you can dominate other people because you cah threaten them with death, etc.  Sounds more like a practice ground for serial killers - what has "gaming" sunk to.

fragger

That goes beyond bad taste, in fact I think it could even be dangerous. There are already MP gamers out there who appear to demonstrate distinctly sociopathic tendencies (going by what I've read and have heard about from other people). Who knows what ugly latent behaviours a thing like this could trigger them into trying out in the real world.

Geez, I sound like one of those alarmist "video games are bad" types :-() But it could be warranted with a thing like this. It's one thing to go around shooting animated, unfeeling bunches of pixels. It's another to publicly humiliate and threaten the real people who are directing those pixels.

I also looked into it a bit more and I saw a bit of a gameplay clip where a player was urinating on a defeated opponent who was lying face-down on the ground. Charming.

As bad as that sounds though, it's certainly not the worst. IMO that title belongs to a Japanese game called "RapeLay", the objective of which is to abduct and sexually assault a mother and her two daughters. I think that's about as disgustingly sick as you can get and the makers of it should have been put down like rabid dogs.

In an article defending the game, someone claimed that "rape is a lesser crime compared to murder" and yet there are hundreds of games that depict killing. I have no doubt that the writer of that article was a male. I'm pretty sure that if you ask a female victim of violent rape which crime is worse, she'll set you straight about it.

I felt like I wanted to take a shower after reading about this base piece of crap (apparently it's a crummy game anyway, apart from the twisted content and premise). But even if I was a sick enough individual to want to play it, I couldn't - it's been banned here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapeLay

Tags:
🡱 🡳