Get Art to play Portal2 contest

Started by mmosu, April 25, 2011, 08:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

I love all of the Cave Johnson scripting - there are some sound clips, presumably for adding to the new designed levels...

Cave Johnson pep talks - Perpetual Testing Initiative
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

after P2 with Binnatics I tried P1 and once that was done some more co-op on P2 with Dweller_Benthos and never picked it up ever since. Was a nice diversion and I hadn't expected it to be so much fun but in the end, nothing to actually stick with.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I'm still waiting for Half-Life 2 Episode 3 which apparently is supposed to tie in with the Portal/Aperture world, but it's been vaporware so far...

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on June 23, 2012, 03:27:31 AM
after P2 with Binnatics I tried P1 and once that was done some more co-op on P2 with Dweller_Benthos and never picked it up ever since. Was a nice diversion and I hadn't expected it to be so much fun but in the end, nothing to actually stick with.

Yeah, it's fun and co-op is pretty cool (when my connection can handle it, which it usually can't) but Portal is a play it once type of game, maybe twice, as the second time around, you try to get all the secrets or beat times or something. They've injected some new life into it now with community made levels which are easy to grab and try out. I've gotten a few and they are fun and usually well made, as long as you stick with the 4 or 5 star rated ones, and there's a ton of them, so not much danger of running out. So, for a quick game or two, you can play a few user levels and have a good time of it. But re-playing them is about the same as the original game levels, been there, done that.

I'm also waiting for Half-Life 3 with the Portal tie-in, but knowing how Valve operates, that may be a while.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 25, 2012, 10:23:57 AM
I'm also waiting for Half-Life 3 with the Portal tie-in, but knowing how Valve operates, that may be a while.

You can say that again! Man they take a long march to complete that trilogy :o
I'm in doubt if it will ever be completed. Something like La Sagrada Familia. Ever under construction :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Only the creator (architect) of la sagrada familia is dead without leaving any plans so his disciples try to finish it the way they think he would have. They rely on donations, another handicap that keeps them from getting it over with any time soon.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on June 25, 2012, 06:19:02 PM
Only the creator (architect) of la sagrada familia is dead without leaving any plans so his disciples try to finish it the way they think he would have. They rely on donations, another handicap that keeps them from getting it over with any time soon.

Not to mention Gaudí's original design was impossible to build with the technology of the time. Looks like they think it may be finished "in the first third of the 21st century" lol. Maybe 2026, 100 years after Gaudí's death.

Still probably get finished before Half Life 3 comes out, lol.
D_B

fragger

fragger

Here's a set of coasters for the complete Portal fanatic:

[smg id=4542 width=450]

If you really want a set you can get them from here, along with some other nerdy Portal-related stuff:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/e912/?srp=6

I don't know how safe this site is to purchase from and I'm not about to try and find out as it looks like you have to register with these people to buy from them (bugger that). It's probably OK, but I'm inclined to let others take the risk :-() Paranoid I may be, but about the only thing I ever buy online is the occasional book or CD from Amazon.

I wouldn't mind having these coasters though, and I'd probably buy them if I could get them from a real shop.

Art Blade

"paranoia gives reality scope"  :-D

I had to think for a moment to get "coaster" down.. I only knew "beer mat" so far.  ^-^

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on June 30, 2012, 02:57:41 AM
I had to think for a moment to get "coaster" down.. I only knew "beer mat" so far.  ^-^

^-^ Me too, didn't know beer mat either. Good term btw  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

I have no idea why the word "coaster" is used as a name for a table protector to put under a glass... It's not just an expression from my own country, I believe Americans (and Britons?) also say coaster. Hmm... ????

Jim di Griz

Indeed, I was wondering why 'coaster' is used.

From the Etymology Dictionary:
Quote1570s, "one who sails along coasts," from coast in verbal sense. Applied to vessels for such sailing from 1680s. Tabletop drink stand (c.1887), originally "round tray for a decanter," so called from a resemblance to a sled, or because it "coasted" around the perimeter of the table to each guest in turn after dinner (cf. coast in verbal sense "to go around the sides or border" of something).

So, the two seem linked.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

:)

when I look up English words, usually they have AE or BE next to it if there are differences in either language. Coaster was AE and beer mat BE  :)

Jim di Griz

We modern day Brits are the commoners  ;) left over after the upper classes went off to colonise the Americas and took their fine table manners with them. Beer is our drink  :)

Art Blade

fragger

:-))

Quote from: Jim di Griz on July 01, 2012, 06:07:00 AM
...the upper classes went off to colonise the Americas and took their fine table manners with them.

:laugh:

The criminal classes went off to colonise Australia and took the upper classes' fine tableware with them :-D

Jim di Griz

Art Blade

Binnatics

I'll get me a spoon in Australia to get a fix in the States, and when I'm back in Europe I'll tell them blokes it's not my cup o' tea 8)

Dweller_Benthos

.... which is why when a CD burn goes bad and the resulting CD does not w@&k, it's called a coaster, only good for setting a cold drink on.
D_B

fragger

:laugh:

Or as miniature frisbees for the dog to chase

Art Blade

the last CD I burnt was about 10 years ago.

PZ

Was it a particularly cold winter?  ????

Art Blade

why, oh why did I anticipate someone would come up with a comment like that. :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳