BL: Art's impressions

Started by Art Blade, December 19, 2010, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

You are right about Moxxi`s Underdome... quite boring. If you fancy playing coop in frenetic gun fights against wave after wave of enemies, then you are in heaven, otherwise... nah, don`t even bother!

Thing is: I got BL+3 DLC with 66% discount at STEAM, so it`s as if I got the game for the normal price with all DLC for free. Same goes to GOTY with all four DLC, so in the end, if you are going for the GOTY, you`ll have the Underdome anyway, so use the safe at your best!!  ;)

As for SDUs, I read that when you reach high levels (i.e. above 35, around which you should be through with the main game) the random generation of rewards such as SDUs or grenade mods from Claptraps depends on how full is your inventory. So if you are lvl 30 something and just unloaded your loot at a vending machine before finding a claptrap, the likelihood of getting another SDU is quite low. Conversely, if you find a claptrap while carrying a full load, you are in for a treat. Anyway, I found the claptrap at the prison in Knoxx`s DLC at lvl 41 with a full backpack and all I got was a lousy grenade mod  :-(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

But had you done the Find Steele quest before that?
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

First time around I decided to finish the main game first and only then move to the DLC so, yes, I`ve done the Find Steele quest before.

Fiach

Quote from: JRD on December 21, 2010, 06:37:41 AM
. Anyway, I found the claptrap at the prison in Knoxx`s DLC at lvl 41 with a full backpack and all I got was a lousy grenade mod  :-(

Quote from: JRD on December 21, 2010, 10:47:01 AM
First time around I decided to finish the main game first and only then move to the DLC so, yes, I`ve done the Find Steele quest before.

Then that could be the reason for the 'nade mod?

mmosu

Still not sure about the reason for the 'nade mods in place of SDU's - I'll defer to Fiach on that one since he seems to have read up on the issue much more than me.  However, I completed Borderlands and the DLC's in the order they were released and I feel that that's the order they should be completed in if you want to get the most out of the story and all the running jokes.  For me, that's worth sacrificing a few SDU's that aren't going to effect the game that much anyway.  Plus, as JRD said, you can farm better loot after Playthrough 1 is finished.

Quote from: JRD on December 21, 2010, 03:16:56 AM
...don`t know the names of the Claptrap`s Robot Revolution DLC though...

The fast travel for the 4th DLC is located in Tartarus Station  :-D

Art Blade

Alright.. I needed to vent off in the modding topic already but I'll repeat it here as an impression:

The GOTY version is unpatched v1.00 (and there is no hint to be found which version the game is running.. I had to do research on the net to find out) and then.. all DLCs need to be downloaded. For that alone I could kill..

Now the Patch. Thanks a LOT to Fiach who helped me :) (he found out about the patch and linked to it, see modding topic)

The world vs German Censorship. There are two patches, one for the entire happy gaming world and one for Germany, funny enough "our" patches are actually called "censored." Thanks to a nice regular link I first downloaded a "worldwide" patch 1.41 of nearly 200MB (I was lucky I had high speed internet, downloaded at around 690kb/s took around 4.5 minutes).

So I had to do it again, for my lovely censored patch. So no fun running over creatures while driving a vehicle because they just go "squelch" and that's that. No visual fun. No severing of limbs, no exploding heads.. they just drop dead.

In the end I can live with it because the game itself still is BL, but it annoys the sweet jeebus out of me.  >:( >:((

At least now I can mod.. which didn't w@&k before because the tools were already expecting a patched game and I didn't even know it was unpatched.

However, now I'm at lvl 12 and I had tweaked around a little for fun using my favourite tool "ArtMoney" (nothing to do with me, for link & tips see FC2 cheats topic for details) giving me some money and maxing out the skill tree. Wouldn't have done it if I had been able to test modding before, but hey, it's my game  ;D

Pheeeeeew. Maybe I'll just have someone buy a non-German version for me next time I feel like it or find a patch that revokes the censuring.. so far, there isn't a simple small patch for it (some forum offer a 15-parts-download of around 100MB each, I reckon it's more like a copy of a US version of the game I'd say, and I won't do that) but if I find a so called blood patch for the current game patch.. (yes, we have many of those.. we need them :) ) But then again, those DLCs are also localised. The censored ones for me, the rest of the world the normal ones. INCREDIBLE  :D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

man that sucks more than a scuba diver with hiccups  :-[

Well, the GOTY DLC, yeah I was going to buy the GOTY, I thought the DLC would be on a disc, so I would have a back up, but it was only codes to download the DLC, so I was pretty pissed at that.... and I aleady have the DLC lol :)

Tht censor stuff is a load of crap, I hope you can get a patch for it, squelch does not do Borderlands justice.  :D

Art Blade

Hehe, I'm going to top anyone.. I have the stand-alone game (disc, retail) and two DLC on a seperate retail disc and to get all of those DLCs I bought the GOTY. All of that in German. Next thing would be to buy any English GOTY

= 3 x game  ^+-+ :D ^+-+ :D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Fiach on December 21, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
Quote from: JRD on December 21, 2010, 06:37:41 AM
. Anyway, I found the claptrap at the prison in Knoxx`s DLC at lvl 41 with a full backpack and all I got was a lousy grenade mod  :-(

Quote from: JRD on December 21, 2010, 10:47:01 AM

Then that could be the reason for the 'nade mod?

Maybe you are right! I really don`t know how that `nade mod thingy works to be honest  ::)
I just don`t get it why doing that mission would change a reward from claps but, as mmosu said, a few slots on your backpack won`t change the game that much when you already have 40 or so with you.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on December 21, 2010, 04:15:53 PM
(...) giving me some money and maxing out the skill tree. Wouldn't have done it if I had been able to test modding before, but hey, it's my game  ;D

Extra cash can be good when you find that sweet assault rifle for sale and a full skill tree helps a lot, but the beauty of the game is the random generation of guns which is dependent on your level. Of course, using ArtMoney will help you get some exp and level up faster, but nothing beats the anticipation when you approach a Lance chest later on... rubbing hands, mouth watering... oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!

Fiach

There is a chest after New Haven in an area near Underpass, it gives good loot (sub lv 30), it has a good chance of rare loot, which you can sell if you dont need for ALOT of money. Its in Rust commons (probably the West one)

Spawn in Underpass beside the Scooter car gemerator, get in the car and look straight ahead.

You will see an Arch, drive through it and keep to the right of the windmill.

Keep driving and you will come to a circular area of rocks, with a path behind them.

Walk up the patch and face North.

You will see a tower (its a sniper) and to its left you will see a gap.

Go through the gap BUT HUG THE WALL to your right (or the sniper will kill you), drop down and scoot under the gap in the rocks, there is a red chest.

All this takes about 2 minutes, so its a very fast chest to farm, the only way you can get out is by Save and Exit, when you respawn, you will be at the car generator again.

Rinse and Repeat :)

JRD

This guy have a nice strategy to get to the chest without death or save/quit/respawn

Borderlands Secret Chest (without death at all)

I found some great weapons and made good money from that chest!

Fiach

Its quicker to respawn mate, because you have more mobility on foot, drive on the rocks , jumo out, run down the gap, its faster than manouvering the car. Also respawning pops you back at the car generator, so you can just get a new car and go back down immediately as the crate will be respawned again too :)

I suppose I'm talking about farming the crate over and over, but all in all, even if you wanted to just open it once, its much the same timewise I guess :)

Its the most consistant chest I've looted for rares at that level though, all my character spend an hour or so farming that each playthrough, unless I found something spectacular on a different character and mule it to an alt.

Sometimes the randomness can be annoying, other times I like it, its like playing slots in vegas lol :)

mmosu

Art, it's a horrible injustice you have suffered, when your God-given right to pop skulls is taken away by faceless g-men who don't think that pummeling virtual enemies into a quivering pile of crap with a large vehicle is something that their constituents should be spending time on.  I hope you can find a blood patch out there somewhere, cause there's nothing liking busting on someone from a mile away and seeing the top of their head come back down to earth about 10 seconds later. 

Fiach

Quote from: mmosu on December 22, 2010, 09:48:35 AM
Art, it's a horrible injustice you have suffered, when your God-given right to pop skulls is taken away by faceless g-men who don't think that pummeling virtual enemies into a quivering pile of crap with a large vehicle is something that their constituents should be spending time on.  I hope you can find a blood patch out there somewhere, cause there's nothing liking busting on someone from a mile away and seeing the top of their head come back down to earth about 10 seconds later.

Of course any right thinking government would want to keep anybody that wants to see stuff like that .... off the streets!.

Uncensoring videogames would certainly go a long way to help with that lol :)

Art Blade

cheers, guys :)

good news: A friend of mine will help me and order a "proper" goty online and give it to me. In case he should fail, another friend of mine offered help as his local game shop does import anything.

I WILL GET a proper version. Until then I won't bother with the DLC and instead try to get to know the landscape and learn modding stuff :)

I don't know how to get from A to B other than on foot or using the "catch a ride" -- how do you teleport?

Fiach

When you go to the Dahl Headland, you will get a quest to power up some towers, that opens the teleport system in the low level areas, when you move to New Haven, you will have to power up about 7 generators around the town, so after that you will be able to teleport to any outpost you have discovered.

If you have DLC, they are automatically added to the teleport stations, you dont have to open up any new areas, just 'port to the DLC areas.

Art Blade

RedRaven

Not sure if you have discovered this or not yet Art but some of the transition points between levels can be driven through, for a while I was getting out of my vehicle to hit the button then running to get another one. The vehicles are great fun :-() :-()
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mmosu

It took me awhile to figure that out too Red  :-[   :-()
I think people forget to try it out because all of the early gates are too small to drive through, so they quickly quit trying.

JRD

I only found out when I parked (crashed) too close to the monitor thingy and pressed the "exit" to leave the vehicle. It is the same key to leave car / activate transition point  :D ::) :-D

After that I realized it shows on those on-screen tips during load screens... I learned to actually read those tips, some are valuable!

mmosu

Some are - and others are so obvious you want to punch the screen  :-()

Art Blade

Thanks again for all the nice tips and comments, peeps  :) :-X

I'm taking it easy now until I get my uncut copy. Until then, I'll mod and cheat and whatnot to have fun with the censored game, trying to explore and find out stuff.. like, I found out that some gaps/chasms can't be used for climbing down -- I died for the first time due to disintegration -- and found out that resurrection cost money.

:)

mmosu

He's something else you might not know - the amount of money it costs to get regenerated is variable depending on how much money you have, i.e. - the wealthier you are the more you get charged.  I think the most I was ever charged was just under $3 million  :o . . . ??? . . . :D . . .  :-()

Fiach

If I think I'm going to kick the bucket, I just save and quit, you are never too far from a save point.

Tags:
🡱 🡳