The milky way

Started by Dweller_Benthos, May 06, 2009, 04:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Never noticed this before, but the sky can show the milky way. Might try to get a better pic sometime.

[smg id=375 align=center width=400]
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

cool. I know we've all looked at the sunsets and sunrises, but I guess I never looked up much at night.  Thanks.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Nice screenshot D_B... good attention to details from both you and devs....  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I'll echo that - really cool attention to detail in the game for immersion purposes.  Also cool that many members post their observations for others to enjoy.  I'd encourage anyone that has observed something in FC2 to post their findings - you might be surprised to discover that what you've taken for granted is a brand new experience for others.

Axios

Now that we are talking about the milky way, I noticed another very cool thing...

If it is night and you watch the sky, U can actually see the big bear and it will point to the north !

I couldn't take screenshots because I am playing on X360

But hope you enjoy the info !

Axios

PZ

No kidding!  What a great find, Axios, and very observant (I've never noticed myself.  This is just the kind of information that we appreciate...

... welcome to the forum - we hope you enjoy and find the boards, maps and other items useful!   :-X

JRD

Welcome Axios... good attention to details  :-X

If the Big Bear is visible, it tells something about on which part of Africa we are.
It can't be south of the Equator or it would be impossible to see it. Therefore.... FC2 takes place in Northern Africa  ;)

That's a great finding for your first post... congrats Axios  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, that's interesting, I'll have to notice the constellations next time I play (that is, when this blasted head cold allows me to look at a computer monitor for more than 30 seconds without feeling sick, great time at w@&k where I look at a screen all day lol).
D_B

Art Blade

nice find, Axios, welcome "a-board" :)

I found it interesting that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you can actually navigate using the sun :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yeah, using the sun is something that I've also used relatively frequently lately - lets you know which direction you are traveling just like in "real life".  Buttressing JRD's comment about being in north Africa, It seems to me that the shadows are correct for being in the northern hemisphere.

Hacko

Here is a picture of the big dipper I took, it is low on the horizon to the left of my gun.
Also check out the fly on the left hand side, damn flies always buzzing around bugging me. ;D

[smg id=696]

JRD

I must say... it took a while to see it as the pic is quite dark, but in the end I can see it... great one Hacko and good attention to details  :-X

Art Blade

I have brightness/contrast/hue set so I can see it. Great find, Hacko  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Hacko

It looked better on my computer, but after uploading it it looks darker and not so good.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I had to crank the contrast and brightness on the milky way shot to get it to show up good.
D_B

Art Blade

I use irfanView for my pics, and it has [Shift]+[ U] for auto-correcting colours, with FC2 it simply brightens up the entire pic, maintaining colours (most of the time). Might w@&k for you. I don't use it on my uploads though.

fragger

Just came across this post. Re location, I think it is actually the southern hemisphere because if you get to a high place and look south, you can see the Southern Cross (on its side) close to the horizon. This constellation can't be seen from the northern hemisphere. You can also see two very bright stars above it, the brightest one of those is in fact Alpha Centauri (which the Robinsons got lost trying to get to - good trick considering it's actually the second-closest star to us!) Other constellations are visible including Scorpius and Sagittarius - in fact it's a very astronomically correct night sky. I get into a bit of amateur astronomy (a real nerd, huh?) from time to time.
Won't  bore you any further with this, but I'm just really impressed that the designers went to this sort of trouble. Yet another example of the amazing depth of this game!

Art Blade

Please, I think one thing about OWG is just fabulous: Insight and special(ised) knowledge. I am no hobby astronomer, but just because of that I did enjoy your information. Actually I am hoping for some more replies of members who are familiar with stuff like that :)

Feel free to post your knowledge, as it is highly appreciated  :-X

JRD

Quote from: fragger on July 30, 2009, 08:01:22 AM
Just came across this post. Re location, I think it is actually the southern hemisphere because if you get to a high place and look south, you can see the Southern Cross (on its side) close to the horizon. This constellation can't be seen from the northern hemisphere. You can also see two very bright stars above it, the brightest one of those is in fact Alpha Centauri (which the Robinsons got lost trying to get to - good trick considering it's actually the second-closest star to us!) Other constellations are visible including Scorpius and Sagittarius - in fact it's a very astronomically correct night sky. I get into a bit of amateur astronomy (a real nerd, huh?) from time to time.
Won't  bore you any further with this, but I'm just really impressed that the designers went to this sort of trouble. Yet another example of the amazing depth of this game!

So, I guess this must be southern hemisphere then... you sound like someone who knows what is talking about  ;)

I didn't even remember my post about where in Africa FC2 should be (age, you know  ::) )... I probably did a Google search to find out and look smart  :-[

I know two stars by heart, one is very bright and is in the sky during the whole day, another one is pale white and is in the night sky from time to time... but is absent at least once in a month  :P

Great descriptions... keep them coming. As Art said... we love details  :-X

PZ

Hey, you're one up on me JRD - I don't know but one!  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

I thought someone found the big dipper once, though, that's definitely a northern constellation. Unless..... the north sector of FC2 is north of the equator, and the south, is, well, south, lol. Never thought to look if the sky is different from one section to the other.
D_B

JRD

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on August 03, 2009, 11:34:09 AM
I thought someone found the big dipper once, though, that's definitely a northern constellation. Unless..... the north sector of FC2 is north of the equator, and the south, is, well, south, lol. Never thought to look if the sky is different from one section to the other.

That's another possibility... if you are correct, then FC2land  must be somewhere near the Democratic Republic of Congo... no sea and crossed by the equator  ;)

PZ

Maybe Leboa is in the northern hemisphere and Bowa is in the southern - or maybe there is no real sense to the sky - it just looks cool.  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

I've tried to identify constellations now and then and could never find any I recognise, but I'm no expert either. If it is the southern sky, then that would be the problem, I don't know those stars at all.
D_B

fragger

The Big Dipper is visible to the north, so I'm guessing we're somewhere on or just south of the equator, maybe around 0-5 degrees S as the Dipper and Southern Cross are both very close to their respective horizons. It is a game, though, not TheSky, so who knows... agree with PZ, it just looks cool! Still the best-looking night sky I've seen in a game so far.
There's actually a map of Africa on the bulletin boards in some locations eg faction HQs, have looked at them but they don't clue you in much. Interesting nonetheless.  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳